5.0 out of 5 stars Just the essentials
This compilation includes all the essential Moody blues tracks from their first UK sixties hit (Go now) to the eighties (I know you’re out the somewhere), plus Blue guitar and Forever autumn, two hits that Justin Hayward had without the Moody blues.
Published on 27 Mar 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Great trip down memory lane...but..
Rather poor quality recordings - spoiling the wonderful music. I realise the price paid was low, but the recording could have been better.
Published on 6 Jan 2012 by Mrs. F. M. Deutsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the essentials, 27 Mar 2003
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
Among the classics here are Nights in white satin, Ride my see-saw, Voices in the sky, Question, Story in your eyes and Isn’t life strange.
Such is the legacy of the Moody blues that there is only room for the essentials on a single CD. I bought the double CD, singles+, instead. It contains all the tracks here and much else besides. Before you decide to buy this, I suggest you check that collection, which I’ve already reviewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, worth every penny, 24 Sep 2003
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
[One CD, with a running time of 78:22] This collection of Moody Blues hits would better be called, "The Moody Blues Through The Years." The songs run from their early Go Now (1964), through I Know You're Out There Somewhere (1988). Along the way, we get the touching Isn't Life Strange, the haunting Forever Autumn, the radiant The Voice, and many other great songs.
My one and only complaint is that Nights In White Satin is included without Graeme Edge's spellbinding poem Late Lament. I have always found that poem to be a fantastic epilogue to the song. But that's such a minor complaint. This is a great CD, and well worth the money.
By the way, the sleeve includes a one or two-sentence story of each song, and a conversation between John Reed and Justin Hayward, which tells the story of the band. Nice bonus!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing the Moody Blues album of the greatest works., 21 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
In this album, the producers have collected some of the Moody Blues greatest works, ranging from the soft, smooth lyrics of " Nights In White Satin " to the fast-beat, rock 'n' roll hit of " I'm Just A Singer ". Other good songs to listen to are the ones which are solos by either Justin Hayward or John Lodge, such as " Voices In The Sky ". The two of them sing many songs together as well as solos such as the famous " Isn't Life Strange " to the meaningful and sorrowful " Forever Autumn. " I would recommend this album to anyone who wants a review of the Moody Blues greatest works or just want to listen for pure enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Soft Rock, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
This compilation is very well-done and put together. You really do get a feel of many of the Moody Blues Greatest Hits. Some of my favorite songs in the collection are:

The Voice: A great and uplifting song about the importance of learning to trust your feelings and inner voice (which helps explain the voice title). The song also sends a positive message that you can create your future however you want.
Your Wildest Dreams: A beautiful song about someone singing about what it felt like to them when they were with their first love, and they wonder if that person thinks about them from time to time.
Nights in White Satin: A beautiful song about being in love.
The Story In Your Eyes: An interesting musical track about living a life to good fortune and good luck.
Steppin in a Slide Zone: What makes this musical number interesting is the time travel references.

My overall favorite song after listening to this compilation is definitely still "The Voice". I have played "The Voice" frequently this week, and it always gives me joyful positive encouragement listening to it. "Your Wildest Dreams" comes in a close second. All the songs in this compilation are very good to listen to. This compilation is worthwhile to get if you like classic rock and/or soft rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Jays Greatest Hits!, 24 May 2009
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
This is an excellent collection, my one reservation (its something to be aware of rather than to put anyone off) is that of the 16 tracks all but one are written by Justin Hayward or John Lodge (Go Now was recorded before either joined the band). For this reason alone I tend to prefer "This is the Moody Blues" which while it doesn't have anything from beyond "Seventh Sojourn" it's perhaps more totally representative. You really need both!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 2 disc version `This is the Moody Blues`, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
Hi! If you`re a fan and middle aged, go look at the 2 disc version because it flows so much better than this single one does! The 2 disc version seems to flow more easily from one track into another as the songs seemed to do back in the old days when we had things called vinyl and cassette tapes....remember them?!

I`m not saying there`s anything wrong with this but it hasn`t quite got that `jena se qua` of the 2 disc version and this single disc seems to have been thrown together rather than placed.....sounds nuts so buy both versions as I did and see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best?, 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my girlfriend, not expecting to enjoy it. I was at the first "Farewell" gig for the Moodies, at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, in the middle of the punk explosion. I slept through it!

Anyway, this is a great CD. I'd forgotten how many classic tracks they've recorded. My girlfriend was a bit disappointed that "Days of Future Past" wasn't included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic Rock, 31 Dec 2009
The Very Best Of The Moody Blues

Fantasic. All you would expect from this wonderful group.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Moody Blues Sound As Good As Ever., 2 May 2009
J. Thompson "Willingale" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
The Very Best of the Moody Blues encapsulates much of their outstanding work.
I also wholeheartly recommend Days of Future Passed, the remastered album with bonus tracks, otherwise this is their only other album I own.
The well know recordings are here as they must be, but I particularly enjoy The Story in Your Eyes, Blue Guitar (Justin Hayward & John Lodge),
Forever Autumn (Justin Hayward) and I Know You're Out There Somewhere.
By all means consider individual remastered albums, for me this goes a long way to satisfy my need for the MBs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Senior Moment Nostalgia, 10 July 2011
This review is from: The Very Best Of The Moody Blues (Audio CD)
OK, I have to admit that I purchased this CD in one of those impetuous, nostalgic, senior moments, but it was worth every penny. Took me right back to "The Moody Blues" of my early twenties...sitting in my darkened bedroom, staring at myself in the mirror, lit only by the glow of a single candle and listening to this album over and over again. The fact that my father would have tanned my backside if he's ever discovered me burning candles in my bedroom only added to the emotional melieu.

Few things, if they even still exist after 40 years, are as good as we remember them being, but this album has certainly stood the test of time for me.

The Very Best Of The Moody Blues
The Very Best Of The Moody Blues by The Moody Blues (Audio CD - 1999)