5.0 out of 5 stars A very strong collection, 21 Oct. 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
Most of these songs were specially recorded for this charity album and some of the performances are outstanding. It's hard to pick out highlights when there are so many great performances, but here are a few.
I love Madonna's cover of the Eartha Kitt classic, Santa baby. Do you hear what I hear was recorded early in Whitney Houston's career when I enjoyed her music. Santa Claus is coming to town is performed with great enthusiasm by the Pointer sisters.
Christmas (Baby please come home) is a superb cover of Phil Spector's classic song from his famous sixties Christmas album, on which it was performed by Darlene Love.
Although I've heard more different versions of Silent night than of any other song (Christmas or otherwise), I can say that the version included here by ex-Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks is among the best, if not the best, that I've heard.
Indeed, there's only one track that I'm not keen on. I've never been a rap fan so Christmas in Hollis by Run D M C does not appeal to me, but I can live with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! A really wonderful mix of Christmas songs., 20 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
My family know that Christmas has truly arrived when this album goes on the CD player! We bought this CD abroad about 7 or 8 years ago, and have listened to it over and over again with pure delight. I wasn't aware that you could purchase the CD in the UK, and I will recommend it wholeheartedly to friends who have enjoyed listening to my copy.
The Pointer Sisters start it off so well and it just gets better. It is great to hear such a variety of artists singing such classics as 'Winter Wonderland' and 'The Coventry Carol', and Stevie Nicks is brilliant with her rendition of 'Silent Night'. Madonna's 'Santa Baby' is excellent too.
The only track which took some adjusting to was the Run D.M.C. track, however the children love this, so I guess I have to say that it reaches all levels.
The follow on album (recognised by its green sleeve) is also superb, the highlights for me personally being Aretha Franklin singing 'O Christmas Tree' and a duet between Cyndi Lauper and Frank Sinatra. However, to say that they are the 'best' on the CD would be unfair, as all the other tracks are absolutely superb.
I am sure the 3rd and 4th albums will be well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make every Xmas SPECIAL, 26 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
I bought this cd when it first came out (15+ years ago????). I play it gleefully EVERY year without fail. I now have all of the Very Special Xmas series, but this first one is by far the very best one. Every track is perfect. I cannot recommend this collection highly enough. Beats all other Christmas compilations with ease. I NEVER tire of it - brilliant stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tunes, 3 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
If you watch the beginning of Die Hard you'll hear a most ridiculous Rap/Christmas tune, and pray never to hear it again. But here it is. In its entirety its a tune you will never forget. Around this tune are superb numbers mixing old and new tunes. This is very different from the normal tunes, but artists like Madonna and U2 provide easy listening, while Bon Jovi gives us his slant on the Xmas theme. All in all a very special christmas record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed..a very special Christmas CD, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
First bought this on cassette in the late 80s and pleased to have found a CD version as the original has nearly worn out as it was played every year without fail. The CD version has a different Bon Jovi track for some reason but all in all this has a highly enjoyable variety of artistes and versions of festive songs. Love John Mellencamp's track...guaranteed "Dad dancing" around the Christmas tree!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative Christmas Album, 25 Jan. 2013
richard lake (Chepstow, Monmouthshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
Really enjoyable Alternative Christmas album with some different cover versions of classic songs ranging from ballads to rock'n'roll, Good range of artists inc Pointer Sisters, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Sting, Bon Jovi

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely best 80's christmas album, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
such an eclectic mix of artists and songs there has got to be at least one song in here for everyone. I love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Very Special Xmas (Audio CD)
Fantastic value and will be well played over this Christmas period and for many to come in the future .

Very Special Xmas
Very Special Xmas by The Pretenders (Audio CD - 1990)