4.0 out of 5 stars A Great CD Swinging more to the ballads side of Styx music
This is a great Album! The tracks have some amazing lyrics but I would recommend this album to the fans who prefer the quieter side of Styx's music rather than die hard rock fans!
Published on 5 Aug 2001 by peter.huda@arciris.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Songs about babes
Published on 30 Sep 2009 by D. J. H. Thorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Songs about babes, 30 Sep 2009
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Cornerstone (Audio CD)
The first Styx album I heard was the one preceding this, 'Pieces Of Eight', a great and varied rock album, and still my favourite by this band. 'Cornerstone', by comparison, disappointed me. Not surprisingly, they share similar production values, but not quality of material. Empty, forgettable love songs, mainly the responsibility of Dennis DeYoung, are to blame. 'Babe', despite its tackiness, I can forgive because it's so memorable, but not the others. The band's true rocker, James Young, has just one song, the raucous 'Eddie', which stands out as a result. Tommy Shaw seems to have one foot in both camps, co-writing the passable 'Lights' and 'Borrowed Time' with DeYoung, while contributing the above average 'Love In The Midnight' himself. He's also behind 'Boat On The River', the only song besides 'Eddie' that doesn't conform to the general style of the album. Mandolin, accordion and a very un-rock rhythm make for a brave effort which no doubt divides the band's fans, but I prefer that to some of the slush elsewhere on the disc. Overall, 'Cornerstone' is just about OK, but in relative terms it's one of Styx's career blips.

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed Time - One of their Best, 21 Nov 2001
This review is from: Cornerstone (Audio CD)
I have to admit I may be a little biased on this album. I'm not a big fan of ballads, and this album is loaded with them (Babe, First Time, to name two), but I always loved the song "Borrowed Time". In my opinion, it's got one of the best intros - the kind you test out new speakers to. The song then loses power, but that intro...wow!
Many have citicized the album for being too lightweight - due to too many sappy love songs, but I guess I'm biased due to growing up with "Babe" and "First Time" (saccarine sweet as they are) being played on those hot summer nights, way back when...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great CD Swinging more to the ballads side of Styx music, 5 Aug 2001

ARRAY(0xabd19354)

Cornerstone
Cornerstone by Styx (Audio CD - 1995)