5.0 out of 5 stars Easy but Brilliant
Published on 18 Mar. 2010 by Greg Boyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Now feels amateurish!
It really does not stand up to listening today, it sounds so old fashioned and amateurish now. Nearly all of Ricks work subsequent to this was much stronger.
Published 9 months ago by vince greenham

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy but Brilliant, 18 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
This is the first Rick Wakemen music I have heard so I have no prior loyalties to him to make me review this unfairly. I absolutely love this album. I had just finished reading the book of Journey to the Centre of the Earth and then my Mum asked for this on Mothers Day. I had listened to a bit of Yes so I was interested in hearing it as well. By the end of listening to it for the first time I was obsessed. I have played this over and over again. It's really easy listening but is still amazing. Quite light hearted as well. If you liked electro music when it was done well you will probably like this album.
Incidentally, if you like this you may like to listen to a bit of Yes's material or Genesis.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey worth taking.., 19 Aug. 2014
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth was always a compromise when it was recorded and released back in the 70's. It was a live recording because that was the only way Rick Wakeman could afford to do it. I loved the original LP and it's great to see it and its successor Return To The Centre Of The Earth given such a sumptuous re-recording and release now.
The box contains two double 180g vinyl LP's together with a full colour hardback book in which tells the story of both albums. Mounted on the inside of the books cover is a numbered limited edition Roger Dean print signed by Rick and Roger. Securely mounted in the back cover are the DC versions of both albums.
The recordings sound wonderful. Journey finally has the treatment it always deserved. The only thing missing is the voice of Gary Pickford-Hopkins from the original recording. Sadly, he died long before the new recordings could be made. He was a wonderful singer. I saw him a couple of times fronting Wild Turkey and he was a very gifted vocalist. That said Ashley Holt is present and correct and does a great job on both albums.
If you enjoyed Journey the first time around I can heartily recommend this box set. It's a pity Rick couldn't include a remaster of the original LP but then you can't have everything...

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably THE only prog rock narrative concept album to own..., 26 April 2014
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
...from the archaeological waste land of the 'prog rock' back catalogue this nugget of musical fusion has been unearthed.

Journey was one of those albums that rippled the fan base when it was originally released and it remains a guilty pleasure to listen again to the Jules Verne book retold in musical form.

30 years on it is still able to engage new fans with its mix of orchestral and cutting edge keyboard instruments all analogue sounds mixed and presented on the night without pre-programable digital technology.

Mr Wakeman proves that years spent in mastering the art of synth was not wasted.

I have worked with Rick and seen him in action on the modern digital 'keys' where he is equally at home; the only thing he misses, and then not much, are the unexpected moments when local taxis 'breaking through' on the sound system a few seconds before he played the first note or someone setting light to the narrators script, all of which provide content for his touring show and a precursor to the playing of a track or two from this album.

The mix of classical orchestra and rock band as developed by John Lord and Deep Purple was and is carried forward via several extremely expensive and successful concerts by Mr Wakeman. The orchestra gives depth and fill to Rick's soaring surreal keyboard sounds to enhance and reinforce the spoken narrative.

The album stands up well after 30 years and if you only have one prog rock concept album you should make sure it is this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The No. 1 keyborder of the world !, 18 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
The first time I heard Wakeman was when I listened to YESSONGS by YES. He tells the story written by Jule Verne with a narrator and . . . music. Who else is able to paint pictures with his keyboards? The Journey to the centre of the earth is and will be the best Wakeman you will find. Gerry Campbell

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly grandiose piece of work from a master., 19 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
This classic album recorded quite some years ago live in concert, captures the classic essence that truly defines Rick Wakeman as more than your average pianist. While many people seem to be infuriated by the choice of vocals for this particular album, I think if they can look beyond that fact, they will find an exquisite work, which does well to encapsulate the feelings of not only 70s prog rock, but also the story of The Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for., 4 Feb. 2009
Mr. A. Rodger "SmallAdMan" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this album on vynil when it was first released and it was damaged during a house move about 10 years ago. On finding this on Amazon I thought I must get a replacement. After purchasing it, I played it as soon as I received it. Brilliant. It brings back many happy memories. What more can I say, Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Wakeman, 18 Jan. 2011
Craig Savage - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
Bought to replace the ageing vinyl copy I have had for years.
Music sounds as good as always.
Disappointments, well the leaflet with it no longer has the photos of David Hemmings the narator or the sea monsters from the battle,just one sheet giving scant information on who played,but this is a minor quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Wakeman at his best, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
only bought this because as a boy i was first introduced to this and had fond memories, did not disappoint second time around although couple of strange glances of my kids :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey revisited, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
I had this on vinyl all those years ago but always found it rather pricy when looking to purchase the cd. I am glad that I managed to find a copy because it is worthy of a place in your collection. The voice of actor David Hemmings as narrator links the musical pieces well. As a live concert it is, by modern day standards, very short but the story is told and delivered seamlessly. I personally think this is Rick Wakeman's best solo work and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Journey still sounds good!, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Audio CD)
I hadn't heard this for over 30 years, so I thought it was about time I got a copy on CD. I was a bit disappointed that the wonderfully OTT photographic artwork that was included with the original LP version had fallen by the wayside in the transfer to CD. Also, I reckon that the CD version suffered from compression in the transfer process. Despite these minor points, it is really all about the music, which still sounds great. Wonderful stuff!

Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Journey To The Center Of The Earth by Rick Wakeman (Audio CD - 1990)