4.0 out of 5 stars none more black!
This edition, like the similar one of The Velvet Underground & Nico, is billed as a "45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition" and has an identical format of a (roughly) 10" x 12" hardback book with cardboard slots for the CDs at the back. As with the VU&N super deluxe edition, it contains stereo and mono versions of the original album, extras and out-takes and a live...
Published 15 months ago by freewheeling frankie

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same
Let's get the obvious comments out of the way first. Unless you live on the Moon you already know the groundbreaking importance of the Velvets and how this album is their most extreme statement that invented the seventies. It's also safe to say that if you shelled out the extra cash for this you (like me) are already a fan and already own the original (along with all...
Published 15 months ago by jason johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars watch that speed freak....., 27 Feb. 2015
T. RUNDALL "slim tim slide" (brighton uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
my favourite of an almost impossible choice, this has the us sleeve where my vinyl has the uk toy soldiers, i didn't even now this sleeve existed until a few years ago- Nilly Names Tattoo I think..... this is a great remaster, although sister ray was one take the others were worked on more so i would love to see an expanded issue... this captures the rude essence of the velvets at their most primal and hasn't aged a day in all these years except nobody has the hits to make music this good anymore..... BUY IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Then I felt my mind split open ...!!, 2 Jan. 2010
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
Forget the history lessons and the myth-making. Turn it up and submerge. Still as 'out there' as it gets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps better qualified as a raw study of the people who ..., 29 Jan. 2015
The most uncompromising v u album.It hasn't mellowed with age, but has moments of beauty and much artistic prowess, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Perhaps better qualified as a raw study of the people who created the music and those around them than the debut. Never a chart contender, but none the worse for it.Unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still an all time favourite, 4 Sept. 2014
My Brothers Art Teacher lent this to us saying you like Noise with your Music well you should hear this and i have been listening to it ever since and if you agree with me you might also enjoy this:
may your ears forever bleed

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate edition of this classic album, 12 Jan. 2014
At this price I would say from other comments that the two two cd deluxe package is the one to get. I have not gone for the bigger box version as the price is excessive for just a hard copy edition of the book and the mono version cd, which from what I understand, it is hard to hear any real difference with the stereo version. This classic needs the stereo separation for gems like 'The Gift' and 'Lady Godiva's operation'.

The paper booklet included is still very good. My only criticism is its so tightly packed I nearly ripped the inside sleeve trying to get it out of the middle panel. I hate this particular 'innovation' in packaging which is now often used where there are three cds/ DVD combinations. I will be getting a large format cd polythene cover to house the whole package within and will just place the booklet loose in the middle of the open up cd as I will not be trying to force it back into the cover.

The second live CD is also well worth the admission price as are the extras on the first Cd most of which have been available before, but not in this superior mixed format.

If already a fan you really need this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars a true alternative effort, 7 Feb. 2014
I've been a keen velvet underground admirer most recently and I love the song 'here she comes now' and sound recording is raw and infectious. I've got their debut and I prefer the albums on vinyl because it is special.

5.0 out of 5 stars white light white heat, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: White Light/White Heat (Audio CD)
A classic album though the seeds of the dissolution of the band were already being sown. The title track has been covered many times particularly in Bowie's live shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Mess!, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
Distortion, perverse lyrics, off-key singing, speaking over an improvised jam and a near twenty minute song mostly about sucking on a 'ding dong,' is hardly the sort of stuff that would appeal to a commercial music listener, or even someone interested in The Velvet Underground. It might be better to start with the Banana album, which is more accessible than this.

Having said that, I have grown to love this album mostly because of the shear audacity that it is infused with. This album captures the essence of Punk music, long before it began. It sounds like a mess and I think the band knew this, but the fact was that they really didn't care, because this record is about creating an atmosphere and if you can tap into that, I can assure you that you will love this record.

When I first heard the opening track, I was shocked and thought I was going to hate it, but now I think that even with it's low-fi distortion, it is wonderful. It is also one of the easiest listens of the album. From what I've read about The Gift, it seems more popular with people who aren't into the velvets than those who are. Regardless, I love it, especially as it is Cale who does the reading and what a job he does! I am always enthralled by this track from start to finish and the end of it always brings a twisted smile to my face. Lady Godiva's Operation also contains Cale's vocals, especially because they are quite soft and work well with Reed's harder vocals, which also feature on this track, shouting over Cale and creating an unsettling air to an unsettling track.

Here She Comes Now is light White Light/White Heat, as it is an easy listen, probably the easiest on the album and works as a nice bridge between Operation and I Heard Her Call My Name, where the distortion returns, along with Reed's vocals. This is a gritty rock and roll track and it only gets bettwe with the epic, Sister Ray. It goes on for a long time and I'll admit that I don't listen to it often, but when I do it's an invigorating listen, for there isn't a moment where this track turns into a dirge and I never check to see how long it has before it's over.

Overall, I wouldn't dismiss this album if you've only given it a single listen. It shows the Velvets at their peak before Cale left and they eventually wound up with god awful Doug Yule and like I said, has a great Punk attitude that once more proves that this band was well before its time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the greatest album of all time?, 21 Mar. 2003
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
I love this album. The Velvets take no prisoners on this one. Shorn of the influence of Warhol, they go to extremes and create an album that's not simply loud, it's terrorism. Punk has nothing on this. This is utter brilliance. PLAY LOUD!

5.0 out of 5 stars white light/white heat, 27 April 2014
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
love this, if you love velvet underground buy this cd, i have this on vinyl but would rather use cd

White Light / White Heat
White Light / White Heat by Velvet Underground (Audio CD - 1996)