4.0 out of 5 stars Tide comes in
Fiona Apple has become one of those few singer-songwriters who is known for her talent, with only two albums to her name. Her debut "Tidal" is more uneven than her sophomore album, but Apple's rich voice and exquisite musicianship make up for the occasional lyrical stumbles.

Published on 11 Jan 2006 by E. A Solinas

1.0 out of 5 stars One great song lost in a sea of mediocrity
Although she has a limited range as a singer and pianist I think she's a much stronger performer than she is writer. I've always wondered why she's a singer-songwriter? She's just not that good a writer, and she's not prolific. In a fourteen year career she has released three albums that amount to only thirty two songs. As it is all of her songs on this album are too...
Published on 30 May 2010 by BS on parade

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Tide comes in, 11 Jan 2006
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)

"You say love is a hell you cannot bear/And I say gimme mine back and then go there for all I care," Apple sings in the first song, her alto suspended somewhere between a purr and a snarl. Backling her up is her own textured piano playing, backed by a heavy bass lick that pops up every few seconds like a tribal drum.

But unworthy lovers aren't the only topic that Apple tackles here. She also explores personal changes ("And I suddenly feel like a different person/From the roots of my soul come a gentle coercion"), hurting others in love, and "You'll say "don't fear your dreams"/It's easier than it seems."

Her songs are painfully deep in themselves, but it's all the more shocking and stunning when you realize that she was only eighteen when the album was released. Her music exudes the sorrow, anger and emotion of a woman twenty years older, mixed in with the ever-changing personality of a young girl. Music like this can't be calculated; it can only ever be real.

Her youth does show in songs like "Pale Summer," or certain awkward lines like "Oh, your love give me a heart contusion/Adagio breezes fill my skin with sudden red." It sounds a bit too overblown, in a high-school poetry way. But Apple has a rare way with simpler lines, giving them a verbal punch that a shadowboxer couldn't match. "I have never been so insulted in all my life/I could swallow the seas to wash down all this pride!" she snarls in the first song.

But honestly speaking, Apple could sing some really dreadful songs and they would still sound good -- her voice is another thing that was much older than she was, the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a thirtysomething torch singer. Her husky alto carries the songs with a rare intensity, backed with swelling strings and her delicate piano melodies.

There are a few lyrical stumbles in Fiona Apple's debut "Tidal," but it's still a pop masterpiece. Beautiful, intense, heartfelt and heartbreaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars richness, depth -- must experience this music, 26 Feb 2002
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
You cannot really describe music without adjectives getting all out of hand. You simply must listen to Fiona Apple.
Let's be straight -- I heard the name, saw the waif approach the mike, and I clicked off the late night TV and went to bed. Next day a friend laid a cassette on me for a long drive. I saw the name again and thought, okay whatever will keep me awake. One of the best things that ever happened to me musically.
Her voice is a rich, deep, incredible instrument. Her music complex, emotive, powerful, lyrical, soulful, mind-wrenching, gut-provoking.... you see what I mean about all these words not really giving it to you. You've just got to do yourself the favor of this musician's music -- get hold of any of it, any way you can.
Oh, and, one last thing must be said: Fiona Apple is incomparable -- critical comparisons to Morissette are unfortunate; like comparing the color pink to the color purple... one could do it, but why?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 14 April 2006
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
It's amazing Fiona Apple is nowhere near as popular as she deserves to me. I heard about her through word of mouth, because I'd heard a lot of people that liked the same artsists as me recommend her. So I bough this album on a whim. I'm so glad I did...

On first listen, I was blown away, mostly at the power of Fiona's voice. It's so stunning, and different. Secondly, for a first album, the songs are so individual and brave, the lyrics brilliant and interesting...

It took a few listens to get into it (I found "When The Pawn..." much easier to get into), but after I 'got' all the songs, so to speak, I couldn't stop listening to it...

The first song, "Sleep To Dream" is amazingly powerful, an amazing song in which she slates a guy that's messed her around: 'You say love is a hell you cannot bear / and I say give me mine back and then go there, for all I care'. It's a real power-song, and has a really strong effect on the listener.

"Sullen Girl", which follows it, is, on the other hand, a sadder, emotional song, about self-doubts, and she also sings of her rape in it. It's beautiful, and very powerful, especially when she sings 'But there's calm under the waves / in the blue of my oblivion'...

Then comes "Shadowboxer", an amazing song, and my personal favourite, in which she sings over the beautiful, jazzy melody, in her deep voice, of a lover that's messing her around... 'Once my lover, now my friend / What a cruel thing to pretend'...'Oh, it's evil babe, the way you let your grace enrapture me'...anyone that's ever loved someone even when they should know better will be able to relate to this song... 'I was onto every play / I just wanted you' indeed...

The album has it's sensual, softer moments: the seductive, longing, sensual "Slow Like Honey", for example, where she moans 'it's my big secret / gonna win you over / slow like honey, steady with mood...' And "The First Taste", another pretty, seductive song...

And those sensual moments are juxtaposed with the angry, self-doubting songs...but Fiona always comes out the winner. We get the impression here she's a sensitive, searching girl, but she's also strong and believes in herself, and accepts her faults and individuality, which is what makes the album so brilliant...

For anyone that likes something a little bit different, you should adore this stunning album.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to make friends and Influence people, 7 Feb 2001
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
I actually bought Fiona's second album, "When The Pawn.." before I bought this album, but I bought it on the strength of tracks like ShadowBoxer and Sullen Girl which both appear on this album. Her sound on this album generally is obviously a lot younger, but that doesn't mean that the songs can't be just as captivating, and just as intense. The production is beautiful - just right for her smooth but potent voice, and there are some treats in store while she explores different styles and textures towards the end of the album. You can really appreciate what has been achieved in Pawn when you listen to the superb foundations that Fiona Apple laid with Tidal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly Amazing!, 5 April 2000
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
This Album is one the most amazing finds of this century, Fiona Apple has an amazing talent, shown brilliantly in this album. She writes all her own stuff which just adds to the tone of her voice as she feels what she is singing. It is sooooo good! Number seven (Never is a Promise) has become my favorite song in the space of a week, so you can imagine what the rest of the album is like! Buy it now, you won't regret it; I promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple's just amazin'...., 18 Nov 2002
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
Nice to see a C.D. I bought in 1996 being released for a wider audience, the whole of this album from start to finish is a class act. From the superb singing and piano playing of Ms Apple to the excellent production and playing of the musicians involved, this project comes across as something that the people who worked on it would be proud of.

The angst of the writer is portrayed with elegance and intelligence, as to inform the listener as well show them of her feelings.

Fiona Apple may have some strange habits like not eating anything the colour green, (so I read somewhere)but she shows on her first release that she is very talented and has a huge future, buy this now before the rush it's bound to happen...

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 per cent impressive debut - a great buy, 15 Nov 1999
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
I definitely like this cd. Fiona has an almost haunting voice and for her age has put forth some terrific music with great lyrics. It's quite strange for a young singer to come out with material that has real artistic merit rather than material that appeals to 10 year olds, and I think Fiona Apple has done it with this cd. This is one of the few young singers that I think has real staying power due to pure talent. If you like Tori Amos, I would suggest this cd as it has rich lyrics and piano playing and the lyrics are pure poetry. There is not a song on this cd that I dislike and I am anxiously awaiting her forthcoming release. I just hope she hasn't made a 180-degree turn in her music style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing, 30 Sep 1999
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
Fiona Apple is one of those unknown artists that HAVE to beknown and quickly! Her voice has such power that she keeps your head dizzy for the whole time. She wrote this album when she was only 17 and what an achievement. The music is kept simple but still harmonic, all in all to let the lyrics and voice come out of it in full strength. Awesome album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confident with her insecurity!, 23 Aug 2001
Duncan Hunt (Leighton Buzzard, Beds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
I said it all before, sometimes this girl just doesn't know whether she is coming or going! FABULOUS is the only word i can find! I descovered her by chance, ended up buying both albums! And i am desperate for the third album. HURRY UP!!!!!!!! My favourate Song on 'Tidal' is 'Criminal' but there all great! 'When the pawn' is just a smidging better but lets just appreciate this for now! Duncan, Bucks, England

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable!, 10 Feb 2000
This review is from: Tidal (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums that I own (and I own a lot of albums!) It is an incredibly mature debut for such a young singer, providing an eclectic blend of jazz, soul and rock. Some of the tracks take a while for their brilliance to become evident, but persevere because this album is definitely worth it. I think that "Never is a Promise" is one of the best songs of the nineties, and tracks such as "Criminal", "Shadowboxer" and "Sleep to Dream" also ensure the extremely high quality of the album. If you like Tori Amos, Jewel or Beth Orton, then this will definitely be your sort of music. Fiona Apple uses an amazing mix of superb lyrics, her unusual vocal talents and great instrumentation (think a lot of pianos) to create a really brilliant sound. It is a shame that Fiona Apple is still a relatively unknown talent, but you can change that- go and buy this album NOW!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tidal
Tidal by Fiona Apple (Audio CD - 1996)