5.0 out of 5 stars Ligeti's Chamber Masterpieces!, 30 Nov. 2007
Scriabinmahler (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ligeti: String Quartets & Duets (Audio CD)
Arditti Qt gives the most intensely felt performances of Ligeti's very original chamber music masterpieces, String Quartet 1 & 2, accentuating the contrast between agressive passages and eerie quiet sections. Rest of the tracks includes some gems and premiere recordings. LaSalle Qt on DG also gives excellent reading of String Quartet No.2, worth checking out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ligeti's music is flawless, but I expected a bit more from the Ardittis..., 26 May 2008
This review is from: Ligeti: String Quartets & Duets (Audio CD)
Since 1974, the Arditti String Quartet have done more for modern string quartet writing than any other one group has for any one genre (with the possible exception of the King's Singers...) And, as a big fan of this particular genre, I personally am very grateful to them for it. Which is why, when I bought this CD, I was surprised to find that the usual conviction and brilliance of their performance wasn't there. They have recorded many of my very favourite CDs, but this is simply not one of their best performances.

I have already written a review for the (significantly less well-known) Artemis Quartet's recording of these two incredible string quartets, giving it 5 stars. They really bring out the fire and life of the music, and I got a lot more from their playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ligeti Demonstrates we Live in a Relative Universe of Sound-scapes, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: String Quartets & Duets (Audio CD)
I first became familiar with Ligeti's music from 2001 A Space Odyssey in the Cinema where there had a massively superior sound to anything that was available for home use at the time. Thus, pieces such as Lux Aeterna and Atmospheres gave me a sound (along with a visual) experience that was all enveloping. There is no way I can listen to those pieces of music again unless it is on a cinematic sound system in a big auditorium - I guess it those large waves of abstract and atonal sounds which sweep the senses of hearing and touch.

I got this CD because of these two pieces of music and I subsequently watched a BBC documentary on him; he was man with some extremely fascinating things to say about music and composition; his deep interest in tones, timbre and rhythm and how we listen captured me.

The first and second string quartets on this album are explorations of how far he can open up an entire universe of tones and rhythm with just four instruments. Yep! It works, if you have a fairly modern sound system or personal stereo. The quartets shine, simmer and percuss their way through time and space. It is like we are taking on a journey of the universe of these instruments, at times they open out and expand beyond the belief of one's listening to closed-in and intimate.

I am impressed!

OK, may not get the impact of Lux Aeterna and Atmospheres in your home; but this album has an equally big impact on one's senses with less big equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely CD, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ligeti: String Quartets & Duets (Audio CD)
Great playing by the Arditti Quartet, well balanced and the two string quartets in particular are most enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Ligeti: String Quartets & Duets
Ligeti: String Quartets & Duets by Gyorgy Ligeti (Audio CD - 1997)