5.0 out of 5 stars If Tom Waits Likes it ..., 16 Mar. 2007
Kim Hatton "Kim Hatton" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakin' the Rafters (Audio CD)
Recommended by Tom Waits and presenting a gospel choir I had never heard of I had to buy this because if Mr Waits is for it who can be against it? Nobody I could share a room with. And, when it comes to Gospel music I like mine live, kicking and loud. I was not disappointed. From the raucous joyful first track this is music that fills your listening space with a sheer love of life and, as the title suggests, shakes the rafters so much you'll find yourself looking up at the ceiling in trepidation.

In the book 'Dylan Redeemed' by Stephen H. Webb, the author asks what might come about from the tension between Rock Music and Christianity. This cd answers the question with another. 'What tension?' As someone might have said once 'Sure music can save your mortal soul'. This is an album for everyone who likes the blues, gospel, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard while remaining distinctly The Abyssinian Baptist Gospel Choir. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the most amazing live recording I've ever heard, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Shakin' the Rafters (Audio CD)
I've owned this recording on vinyl for over 40 years - a gem I discovered in a bin of reduced price LPs in a local record shop. It's electrifying - Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody in particular is quite extraordinary. I can see what Tom Waits meant when he called it the greatest rock and roll record ever, but the fervour and excitement the choir generates lift it - for me - to a plane beyond that.

I have to say I'm not a believer, but if anything could persuade me it might be really superb gospel singing. This choir perfectly fulfils the exhortation to 'make a joyful noise unto the Lord'!

I'm delighted to be able to replace my scratched old LP with a CD version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a classic, 29 Dec. 2011
Stan FREDO (BORDEAUX, Aquitaine, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakin the Rafters (Audio CD)
Shakin' the rafters? Blowin' up the roof, morelike! 65+ minutes of a big choir (120 voices) giving all they got to a minimal accompaniment (keyboards and drums), live and direct in 1960, under Alex Bradford's direction and John Hammond's production. At one point, the Holy Spirit comes visiting and it's not even the best part of the album!
Probably the mother of all live gospel albums.

Shakin' the Rafters
Shakin' the Rafters by Alex Bradford (Audio CD - 1991)