5.0 out of 5 stars Brubeck in time
Published on 9 Mar. 2012 by S J Buck

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Goes to College - A retrospective.
I had heard this when I was about 17-18 and thought a lot of it then; in fact I was besotted with it and Brubeck generally. Hearing it again 50 years later it has not had the same effect and is actually quite disappointing. This is not the fault of anybody - it is just time passing and tastes changing I'm afraid. It is, nonetheless, quite enjoyable.
Published 21 days ago by Richard Coward

5.0 out of 5 stars Brubeck in time, 9 Mar. 2012
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
This classic live recording from 1954 features the Dave Brubeck Quartet on a set of swinging tunes. With Brubeck is Paul Desmond on Alto Sax, Bob Bates on Bass and Joe Dodge on drums. The group is not as well known as the classic quartet (apart from Desmond obviously) that would appear a few years later, and if you were being harsh you might criticise the fact that the bass player seems to walk in 4/4 all the time. So perhaps the rhythm section is a less flexible unit in terms of the time it kept. But the later quartet was justly famous for its time, so I would just say this is a swinging recording!

Above that is the playing from Brubeck and Desmond, which is consistently inventive. As with his entire career Brubeck plays with that wonderful mixture of chordal jazz, modern classical, bits of Bach - which is quite unique in Jazz Piano. There is an astonishing sequence on Le Souk which is the best Piano solo on this album in my opinion. Desmond in contrast is I suppose the opitimony of cool jazz. A wonderfully fluid alto player who although a complete contrast to Brubecks playing is somehow magically the perfect fit.

Interesting "Le Souk" was recorded at Oberlin College, which was the venue for another classic early Brubeck album (Jazz at Oberlin) that I highly recommend.

The track listing is:
Balcony Rock
Out of Nowhere
Le Souk
Take the "A" Train
The Song is You
Don't Worry 'bout Me
I Want To Be Happy

Sound quality is pretty good for a 58 year old recording and the CD is 51mins long. Sadly since I wrote this review Dave Brubeck has died. Truly one of the last of the giants has left us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ex drummer toured with Brubeck in 1961., 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
This may be one of the recordings Brubeck himself taped, as he did in the
early 50's US campus concerts.It's great Brubeck or "Bru" as he told me his
friends call him. Quality as good as you'll get from that period.
Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll back the years., 20 Nov. 2012
K. Haylock "KDH" (Biggleswade,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
my younger days was highlighted my my enjoyment of modern jazz and whilst I had/have many favourites Dave Brubeck has always been amongst my top groups,listening to these recordings makes me realise how lucky we were back in the sixties ,I look forward to seeing these recordings grow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another College set, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
Undoubtedly this is a fine album, recorded in concert at the University of Michigan in 1954 (with possibly two of the tracks recorded elsewhere in the same year) but not teleased until 1962 following his rise to fame in the wake of "Time Out". It is typical of his playing of the period that is , I think, better recorded on albums such as "Oberlin" or "College of the Pacific".
The status of this album may depend upon how well you know the other albums from the period or indeed may be a matter of personal choice. If you buy it you will not be disappointed. If this is to be your first Brubeck album from this period, try out some others first.

5.0 out of 5 stars I especially like Balcony Rock and Le Souk but the whole album ..., 16 April 2015
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
Back in 1954 and stationed in Germany we had the original Phillips 10 inch L.P. of this recording. It was almost nightly required listening in the billet.
I have always regretted not keeping the album and looked for it on C.D. without success until recently. For me it`s lost none of it`s magic. I especially like Balcony Rock and Le Souk but the whole album is a joy to listen to. Much music has come my way in the intervening years but I`m glad that I`ve discovered The Dave Brubeck Quartet again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Goes to College - A retrospective., 3 May 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Goes to College, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
I bought this LP in 1956. Saw every Dave Brubeck concert at the Barbican London. Was lucky enough to attend a charity concert in London where I actually spoke to the great man and where he was kind enough to endorse the sleeve of my LP. Sadly missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Brubeck., 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
This was the Brubeck quartet in their prime. Treasured memories of the "Jazz at the Philharmonic" Concerts staged by Norman Grantz in the 60's. One of the great jazz recoding's, a must have for any collection of modern jazz..

5.0 out of 5 stars from a lifelong brubeck fan, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
I have been looking for this particular item for some time, it was my introduction to dave brubeck back in 1969 whilst i was station in cyprus.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 10 April 2013
Brian (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz Goes To College (Audio CD)
This Cd is as georgeous as when i first played my first EP in the 1950's.
Paul Desmond was a wonderful musician with a pure tone

Jazz Goes To College
Jazz Goes To College by Dave Brubeck (Audio CD - 1999)