4.0 out of 5 stars Great tracks from the first post-Waters concert tour
Published on 16 Jan 2005 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I tend to prefer their music up to Wish You Were Here but to be fair there are some really good parts of this album (the very word dates me rather)

Definitely worth owning if you like the band
Published 24 months ago by S. M. Watts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tracks from the first post-Waters concert tour, 16 Jan 2005
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I believe there is something of a generation gap in terms of Pink Floyd fans' appreciation of this live double album released in 1990. Older fans who experienced all of the band's genius in the 1960s and 1970s may have had a little trouble adjusting to the reconstitution of the band (without Roger Waters) in the 1980s. As for me, I had only recently discovered the band at that time - 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason was actually the first Floyd CD I bought. I had seen The Wall and was somewhat familiar with some of the classic cuts from Dark Side of the Moon, but Delicate Sound of Thunder was essentially my first real introduction to the musical mystique of Pink Floyd. I happen to much prefer Roger Waters' vocals on vintage Floyd tracks, but I am still impressed with David Gilmour's vocals and the energy with which Waters' former band mates resurrected Pink Floyd after the bitter breakup of the band. The fact that I really learned such songs as Comfortably Numb and Time from Gilmour's versions on this live album actually allows me to appreciate Waters' original vocals even more while never looking down on these recordings as inferior versions. Had I been a fan of Pink Floyd since the beginning (and I would have been if I had been born a decade or two earlier), I imagine I would have had trouble adjusting to the Waters-less ensemble showcasing their wares here. I should also add the fact that the later live double album release, Pulse, is of superior quality than this - but Delicate Sound of Thunder still wows me. The only unhappy feelings I have toward this album come from the fact that I didn't get the chance to see them perform in the concert tour from which this music is derived.
The fifteen tracks included on these two CDs represent a mix of the new and the timeless. Five of the ten songs from 1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason are included: Learning to Fly, The Dogs of War, On the Turning Away, Yet Another Movie, and Sorrow. I happen to think AMLR was a great album, and the live performances of these songs really do them justice; On the Turning Away is a particularly incredible live track.
Of course, one's attention is always fixed most closely on the timeless Pink Floyd songs. Dark Side of the Moon is represented here by three songs: Time, Money, and Us and Them (of course, the second CD in 1995's Pulse contains a live performance of the entire Dark Side of the Moon album). The backup singers do get to be a little annoying on the drawn-out version of Money. Wish You Were Here supplies its own title track, an always-welcome addition to the fun, as well as this album's opening number Shine on You Crazy Diamond. One of These Days stands out as the only purely instrumental track on the double album. I am not a big fan of extended instrumental pieces, but Pink Floyd prove to be the exception to the rule - largely due to Gilmour's devastatingly impressive guitar work. Shine on You Crazy Diamond always reminds me a little bit of the old Doctor Who theme song, and that bit of nostalgia only makes me enjoy the music even more. This second disc closes with three songs from The Wall: the ever-popular Another Brick in the Wall Part II, Comfortably Numb (featuring a particularly scintillating guitar solo by Gilmour), and Run Like Hell.
Delicate Sound of Thunder has, in some ways, been superseded by 1995's Pulse double live album. It's a superior effort all around, but a number of the timeless tracks found here on Delicate Sound of Thunder cannot be found there. I can understand why some Floyd fanatics aren't overly impressed with this 1988 release, but a newly-reconstituted Pink Floyd (sans Waters) at slightly less than their best is still way, way better than almost everything else out there. The fact that Gilmour and the guys could deliver such quality performances of songs so intimately associated with Roger Waters proves just how timeless the music of Pink Floyd is.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine album...., 19 Feb 2008
I think this is an excellent recording, showcasing a fine selection from Pink Floyd's repertoire. The sound quality is fine...maybe too fine actually as most songs sound like note-perfect, error free replicas of the studio versions...hence the four star rating...

5.0 out of 5 stars definitive live album, 12 Sep 2009
G. T. S. Mccarron "blues dude" (shetland, scotland) - See all my reviews
this is the complete experience for lovers of pink floyd. taken from probably their best ever tour, all of the songs are performed studio perfect and are recorded round and crisp in sound which can be cranked up to full volume without distortion. a must for every floyd fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 1 Jun 2014
Good Album but better with the original Albums so the songs are not split up. However good enough songs to keep interest

5.0 out of 5 stars By far one of the best albums, 25 May 2014
Forget the remastered versions. I like the creativity of PF so if you like raw live concert energy buy this .

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink floyd., 25 Mar 2014
If you like floyd what more can i say? It arrived early, and have been listening to it at least three times a week since then. Being a silver surfer, to me, this is a golden oldie

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it you won't be disappointed, 21 Aug 2013
Having got the live DSOTM, Wall and Pulse albums I thought this would not be a necessary addition to my cd collection but I was wrong! Yes, I have most of the tracks on other live albums but there are some very different arrangements of classics like Money which make the album well wort investing in. Also the live version of One of these days is terrific!

For the price of a few pints you just can't go wrong with this if you are a Floyd fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesnt get much better than this, 15 May 2013
Fireball 61 (Moray, Scotland) - See all my reviews
what can I say, one of the best live albums made. It was my first introduction to Pink Floyd and it doesnt get much better tahn this. There's not a bad song on it. Woth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+, 11 April 2013
how can you not love floyd,love the album, ,, , , , , , , , , , , ,

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible album, 10 April 2013
I am a massive fan and just love this album to bits. It was the first time I heard the extended version of "Comfortably Numb" a truly awesome guitar piece played by David Gilmore which still tingles the back of my neck.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Delicate Sound of Thunder
Delicate Sound of Thunder by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 1990)