on 24 April 2005
I can imagine what it must have been like for David Bowie, Jackson Browne, and the Montreux audience to see this virtuoso man play the fastest and most distinctive blues to be heard since Hendrix and Albert King.
I can imagine what it must have been like to have the radio on in the car on a grimy, muddy Monday morning, crammed with a thousand other cars into the clogged dual-carriage way, and hear, from nowhere, the wailing, jamming, flickering fingers of real Texas blues.
Stevie Ray Vaughan seemingly came from nowhere and exploded onto the blues scene with both his Montreux performance and this album, Texas Flood.
It begins with one of the best straight-blues rockers ever recorded, Love Struck Baby, and then on to the slower, Pride And Joy, before the realisation of a true blues magician - Texas Flood. And it doesn't let up from there. Continuously astounding with a million different licks and skids that never tire on the ears, Stevie Ray really does make blues history with his debut album.
Okay, so there are a few drawbacks - the songwriting is constricted to purely within-the-genre blues, and the number of originals on the album is perhaps too sparse. But blues was never about songwriting like Rock was, or like folk became, it was ALWAYS purely about making real feeling through music. No other form of music is as expressive as the blues - classical tires with continual sentiment, and the emotions of jazz stop when it becomes nonsensical and non-musical.
Blues is true music and true feeling, without sugar-coated, soft-focus tears about moping over having a crap life, and instead having real tears, real honesty and a real life, however crap.
And Stevie Ray gave us this like no one had before and like no one will after. But don't give up, you can always play the blues, and if it doesn't have a place today, all the more reason to sing it.
Okay, first of all, that should be five stars. Don't know exactly what happened there, but five stars, okay? Five!
Anyway, there's a review in here somewhere as well. It goes something like this:

Rarely does a year go by without some new artist being proclaimed the greatest thing since music's birth, and when I first heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan, I was a bit wary. With so many people talking about him as if he was the second coming of Jimi Hendrix, something had to be amiss.

Well, it isn't. The late Stevie Ray Vaughan was actually every bit as great as he was made out to be, and his debut album is by far the best collection of blues-rock and contemporary blues of the first half of the 80s, holding up wonderfully more than twenty years later.

This record brought the blues back into the limelight. It spent some seven months on the American charts (an extremely rare feat for what is essentially a blues record), and it includes several of Stevie Ray Vaughan's very best songs:
The blistering rockers "Love Struck Baby" and "I'm Cryin'" are here, as well as the magnificent slow blues "Texas Flood" and "Dirty Pool", an excellent rendition of Buddy Guy's blues-slash-nursery rhyme "Mary Had A Little Lamb", and of course Stevie Ray's most famous song, the sublime "Pride And Joy".

Stevie Ray Vaughan knew not only the form but also the substance of the blues, and his guitar playing is masterful. Vaughan had an incredibly ability to keep his solos sounding fresh and innovative, even when they went on for several minutes at a time, and he was a more than adequate singer as well, switching effortlessly between rock n' roll and slow, soulful blues tunes.
His playing on this album is as good as anything he ever recorded, and it's not hard to see why Eric Clapton once stated that he found himself "in the presence of greatness" upon hearing Vaughan play.

This CD reissue adds five bonus tracks, one of which is a short interview snippet. The other four include a very good live take on "Mary Had A Little Lamb", and the otherwise unreleased instrumental "Wham" (unreleased except on compilations, that is).
And everything here, rockers, blues, instrumentals and bonus cuts, is worth a listen. Many listens. "Texas Flood" is a magnificent blues record, Vaughan's finest original album, and it should appeal to fans of both blues and rock. And, well, music.
on 2 August 2004
OK, I admit first listening was biased by severe abstinence - had this one on LP once upon a time and have yearned for many years to hear it again. But after two weeks I still think this is one SACD that sounds even better than vinyl. Slightly remixed, improving the balance between instruments. There is a fatter sound on some guitar solos that sounded a little tame on LP. Only 2-channel but it does not matter, stereo image is really, really good. Oh, and musically this is first class blues from one of the greatest guitarrists ever.
on 27 June 2013
I am often unsure about reissues with an extra disc, just like original vinyls released on CD with all sorts of extra tracks, including naff versions of the songs you know, versions that you hear and think: well, these were previously never issued because they're not very good.

So I bought this, wondering what the bonus track on the main disc and the whole extra disc would be like. It is SRV, so I was optimistic. Well, I needn't have been concerned. The original album recording is excellent - I know most of the songs from a compilation set that I have, and the Texas Flood album does not disappoint. A good example of how trying to classify music into one genre or another does not always work. Rock? Blues? SRV, very well supported by Double Trouble, is all the categorisation it needs.

And the second disc definitely exceeded my expectations. It's a good quality live recording from the same year as the original album, including his excellent versions of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile and Little Wing.

If you like SRV, then you must surely like this. Hard to imagine how amazing it would have sounded when hearing him for the first time. Shame he died so early, otherwise he would surely have just carried on and on producing wonderful music.
on 20 September 2004
I first heard some of the tracks from this album on a compilation that I picked up because of the promisingly abused looking guitar on the cover (Stevie's strat). At the I was entirely absorbed in Thrash metal. Without the aid of apocalyptical lyrics, devastating drums or terrifying riffs, Stevie Ray Vaughan won me over.
Later on I bought all of his albums, and Texas Flood is probably the strongest. It has some of the best blues playing ever put down on record, and there is everything from slow soulful solos(on the title track)to incerdibly moody playing (on Dirty Pool) to fast paced, up beat boogying (on Rude Mood). The singing is not bad either, one of my friend thinks Stevie Ray Vaughan had the perfect blues voice, and more impressively, the late John Lee Hooker called Texas Flood the best blues album ever. Also, I was reading a readers poll of the greatest guitarists ever in a US magazine recently and Stevie Ray Vaughan was number one, Hendrix came second.
Some of the songs took a while to grow on me (but like I said I was a thrash metal maniac when I first heard them). Now I love them all. I keep going back to this album again and again and if you like blues, or you just like guitars, or you don't really like either but want to listen to something new I suggest you check it out.
on 17 February 2013
Now here's a guy who helped keep the blues alive during its lean years and in particular revitalised texas blues . You can hear his forebears albert and freddie king ,t-bone walker ,buddy guy and indeed clapton quite clearly in his dextrous playing .

Problem is that vaughans just doesn't sound like a songwriter (the weedy chuck berryisms of "love struck baby" had me cringing) and his voice is a long,long way off what i expect from a great blues artist . Which might be why the best tracks here for me are the instrumentals "rude mood" "testify" and the beautiful late night feel on "lenny" that show just what a talented player he was and also keep your mind away from the lame production and limited rhythm section he had which marrs the record as much as anything .
on 22 January 2007
What else is there to say? Stevie Ray Vaughan is the greatest blues guitarist ever - no-one else even compares. I still can't decide which album of his os my favourite, but it might well be this one.

Having laboured in obscurity (well, he was known is Texas, but nowhere else) for several years, Stevie Ray Vaughan caught the eye of David Bowie, and SRV was the lead guitarist for his 1982 album, 'Let's Dance' (don't get it - it's awful.) The funds from his session work with the British pop legend, coupled with his signing by A&R man John Hammond, allowed Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (his band) to release an album. And a new guitar hero was born.

1. Love Struck Baby - 9/10 - Very good opener

2. Pride And Joy - 10/10 - Brilliant song with a solo to match

3. Texas Flood - 10/10 - Best song on here. Re-done cover of an old forgeotten song. And what a solo

4. Tell Me - 9/10 - As basic as SRV gets, cool riff

5. Testify - 10/10 - Two amazing guitar solos in one of his best instrumentals

6. Rude Mood - 10/10 - Words simply fail me to describe this

7. Mary Had A Little Lamb - 10/10 - Shows Buddy Guy how it's done

8. Dirty Pool - 10/10 - How can you play that fast on one string? (deep breaths)

9. I'm Cryin' - 9/10 - Very good

10. Lenny - 10/10 - Beautiful instumental, reminds me slightly of 'Little Wing'.

The guitar playing on here is amazing. Albert King spoke of those who can play fast but have no soul (we all know the culprits) but SRV had soul. Not only that, he could outplay any of those shredders. The guitar solos on here are some of my favourites, and he just got better and better.

10/10.
on 23 October 2012
Being a fan of all types of guitar music,ranging from Hank Marvin,Peter green,Jimi Hendrix,to Mark Knopfler and being blues fan I came across S.R.V,relatively late, but once discovered I was totally blown away. Texas Flood was my first introduction to S.R.V. and gives an insight into what was to come. From the pure rythm and blues of Love Struck Baby to the beautiful bluesy Lenny this album is a joy. If you are new to S.R.V,I cannot recommend this album highly enough, but if you would like a taster try The Best Of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
on 5 May 2003
This CD offers excellent tracks, and is definately one of the best CDs of it's genre. Mostly fast, uplifting songs (well, as uplifting as the blues can get!) with superb guitar work. Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my favourite artists of the moment, and I'd highly recommend you check out "Couldn't stand the weather" too.
My only criticism is that some of the songs sound a bit similar to each other.
Overall though - a superb CD that I enjoyed from start to finish. I'd definately recommend this one!
As a rhythym and blues exponent Stevie Ray is second to none, taking infuences fron Albert King BB King, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Hendrix this guy rocks! Texas Flood is R&B at its best. I'm an average blues guitar player and Stevie and Double Trouble make me want to crank up the Strat and Marshall and play along for all I'm worth! If you want a disc to drive by, or to play when feeling blue then this is it! Eric Clapton (who is great!)eat your heart out! Stevie is the best rock/blues player I've heard as he says on the remastered Texas Flood "I play from the heart not the head".