5.0 out of 5 stars The best album ever recorded, 28 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
This is the both the most melancholy, and, conversely, the most uplifting album ever produced. "Tea & Sympathy" alone justifies the purchase price. The gentle acoustic arrangements and deeply sensitive lyrics transport the listener to a better place. I have owned this album, on vinyl, since 1977, and it remains to this day my absolute favourite - #1 on my Desert Island Discs playlist. Buy it, and tell all your friends to do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars The zenith of the singer-songwriter genre, 11 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
This is a timeless album, as fresh and exciting to listen to as when I first owned it (on vinyl) in 1976.
Beautiful string arrangements frame and counterpoint Ian's rich, delicate and wistful voice as it courses over stunning melodies and elegant, insightful words. There's much more to this song suite than the iconic, ever-relevant "At 17" - from the painful letting-go detailed in the Eleanor Rigbyesque " In the Winter", to the strident defiance of the title track, and the haunting traditional-style air of "Tea a& Sympathy" and the almost religious "Lover's Lullaby".
25 years later Janis Ian is still making great albums. This is the best point of entry for anyone lucky enough to have this wonderful body of work still to explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the meaningless morass of popular music here is an album, 20 Feb. 2000
domtail@aol.com (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
In the meaningless morass of popular music here is an album that speaks to all people. Janis Ian has a voice which throbs with the intensity of her message. From popular tracks which everyone one will know such as 17 to the bleakness of Tea and Sympathy Ian uses her special ability to take the listener into the hallway where the phone accesses the operator. It can be heart wrenching stuff. It has a message but not always as pretentious as her contempories. It was an album for the 20th century, fully grounded in all who are 17 in the 21st century. I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Poigniant and bitter sweet, 3 July 2000
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
Janis Ian's lyrics make you realise that you are not alone with your feelings - someone else has been where you are. She has an amazing voice, strong yet tender and she plays the guitar like no one else. If you have the chance to see her live - do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Sublime, Honest, Magic, 18 Mar. 2006
Wol "Wol" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
I heard this album for the first time just five years ago when a friend lent me their copy, and I can still remember the first time that I sat down at the end of a day and played through the cd. And there just aren't many albums for which I can say the same.
The melodies are beautiful, and Janis' voice is sublime. But it's the lyrics in all their simple honesty that work their magic and tell the listener that they're not alone - songs about relationships, longing, rejection, songs about life...
For me, "Light a Light" is reason enough to buy the album. But then so is "At Seventeen" and "Water Colors"...
I'm sure this album will remain one of my firm favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 4 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
This is one of those classic albums such as Tapestry by Carole King. Janis Ian shares a lot of her pain in her songs from life experiences. All songs are absolutely incredible but the best would be between "Tea and Sympathy" or "Lovers Lullaby". These songs are beautifully written. An album worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between the Lines, 14 Jun. 2009
Ms. M. M. L. Packwood (Wellingborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
I bought this Album because I used to have it years ago on vinyl. I wanted to play From Me To You on guitar which I love (not the Beatles number which I also love). Her album is very intimate and personal and she is a good guitarist and writes great songs. Its light and delicate but straight to the heart - very original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 28 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
I bought this album after listening to a programme on the radio about early female artists breaking new ground in writing and performing. Never heard it before or any of her music other than 'at seventeen' which I have always liked. It is a brilliant album, no weak tracks on it (although the jury is still out on the title track!). I can't beleive it has taken me 37 years to discover her!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album that I have owned for years but wanted a copy as a gift for someone. The seller was reasonably priced and dispatched my order promptly

5.0 out of 5 stars Right for me., 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Between the Lines (Audio CD)
I bought this at the same time as some of her more recent material and found it vastly superior and certainly more sensitive.

Between the Lines
Between the Lines by Janis Ian (Audio CD - 1990)