Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 January 2001
For some reason this album got slated upon release; I don't see it myself. It starts with possibly the best start to an album...ever, Chuck D launching into "Whole lotta love...." never fails to make me want to dance like a deranged gibbon. "Give It Up" follows the lead off track in more mellow but no less danceable fashion and is surely a classic. This album is peppered with fantastic tunes, "I stand accused", "What kinda power we got?" and "Race against Time" are lyrical and musical masterpieces and the more live sound (see What side you on?) is a refreshing change from "Fear.." and "..a Nation of Millions.." dense weave of samples and beats. Fear not tho', this isn't PE wussing out, the samples, the anger, the energy and the message are all still there. Marvellous.
on 5 October 2009
So much better than (even) other PE albums... and I am not much of a fan of hip hop music. But THIS is so intense, so free and so juicy (probably thanks to REAL percussion - something you won't easily find in new rap productions) that EVERY listener should have a taste of it.

Take it and you won't be disappointed. And you hear it from a Radiohead fan.
on 1 August 2013
For nearly two decades I've been fortunate enough to have been listening to this masterpiece of modern music. Any album that teaches you something whilst making you want to shake your ass to the groove. Is a must buy. Without doubt my favourite Public Enemy album. "Mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.".
on 2 May 2001
A standout album in the PE collection, with the live drum sounds adding an extra dimension not found on other hip-hop albums. Compared to 'Nation..' and 'Fear of a black planet', this album stands up well, offering the listener the traditional PE values over funky sample-led grooves. Chuck D is on top form here as well as a more prominent contribution from Flava Flav than on previous releases.
PE remain a beacon of awareness in a sea of misinformation.
5 stars, no doubt.
on 24 November 2009
I have been in to Hip-Hop for nearly 20 years, and revisted this album recently - its oustanding. Possibly PE's most complete album ever. Real drums, rather than sampled sounds make an amazing sound.

If you consider the intelligence of Chuck D and the fact that this is real Rap and not West Coast R&B, this album will blow you away and teach you about the PE cause at the same time.

5/5. Brilliant.
on 19 February 2015
Proper old skool, Great tracks, one of the best Hip hop albums you could ever own
on 21 September 2014
Yes is a very very good album of public enemy great band
on 24 September 2014
Thought I must be missing out on some of my education not having heard any Public Enemy. Got this album on the strength of Give It Up but can't say much else appeals. It's too much shouty evangelising,' with us or against us' stuff which gets on my nerves. I quite liked the cover at first it reminding me of all the Heavy Metal I used to be into but then I even saw through that. When things are this black and white in their message and their outlook they tend to loose potency.