5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic piece of musical history
Published on 16 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Dream Cast? Yes, but what about sound quality?
I wouldn't go as far as saying that the recording is perfect. The cast is indeed amazing. Fantastic voices and great acting even though standing in the middle of the Royal Albert Halls stage with a microphone in front of you doesn't allow much expression.
Published on 12 Dec 2004 by A. Psillas

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic piece of musical history, 16 Jan 2000
By A Customer
After watching this performance on video, I had to listen to the cd to see if it had the same effect. It did. Cameron Mackintosh certainly did choose the best people for each part. I love Lea Salonga's voice, it is so strong, she is brilliant in the part of Eponine - nobody is better. I don't think you could find a better singer to perform On My Own. Michael Ball gives a moving rendition of Empty Chairs At Empty Tables, he is well suited to the part of Marius. My favourite track on the album, and the best song of the musical has got to be One Day More, it is very powerful.The cd is well worth it's money - you get not only the voices - but the feeling of the musical. As I am only 16, I don't know many people my age who enjoy a lot of musicals, but I would certainly recommend this cd to anyone who was going to buy a Les Miserables recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, the best., 14 July 2006
J. Takata (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 10th Anniversary Concert (Audio CD)
I own 7 Les Miserables CDs, including all 4 of the English versions, and I can definitely say that this one has the dream cast. Colm Wilkinson (Valjean), Philip Quast (Javert), Ruthie Henshall (Fantine), Michael Ball (Marius) and Jenny Galloway (Madame Thenardier) are all particularly superb. Personally, I would have preferred to have seen Anthony Warlow as Enjolras, but Michael Maguire still does the job admirably.

But what sets this recording apart from the rest are the minor cast members. Every performer, from the lovely lady to the barricade student, are top notch; the chorus at the back of the hall also add the extra "oomph" to the big numbers. It is this, perhaps even more so than the main cast, that makes this recording such an unforgettable one.

The final highlight is the appearance of the Valjeans from around the world. It was such a joy to see "Do you hear the people sing?" being sung in so many different languages, and you will appreciate just how popular Les Mis is even in the non-English world.

Overall, a CD to get. If only this CD had been the complete one instead; then I can recommend this 200% over the Complete Symphonic Recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years on and the finest return, 22 Dec 2002
Well what can be said about Les Miserables other than Amazing?, and with the dream cast the recording really is a dream come true! Les Miserables was slandered by critics when it open at the Barbican Theatre all those years ago, but the public adored the shows gritty realism and vulnerablility!
Heading the cast is the origional London Jean Vajean, Colm Wilkinson and he does a grand job!! I found Bring Him Home a very boring song until i heard his version, the definitive Jean! Javert and the thenadiers are played very well! Ruthie Henshall shos a strong Fantine and as usual commands every song she is in with her unique and powerful voice! Of course Michael Ball is reknowned for playing Marius and when listening to this it is easy to understand why!! However the small waif like figure of Lea Salonga as eponine steals the show! Although some of Eponines finest bits were cut from the show, what we get is brilliant!
Wonderfully recorded (LIVE MIGHT I ADD) i would reccomend this recording above all others! Never do we get a recording that included the créme de la créme from past productions taken from all over the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS!, 5 Oct 2004
This review is from: 10th Anniversary Concert (Audio CD)
After seeing the musical and loving it, I decided to get the soundtrack. It brought back the experience of the musical and the voices of Philip Quast as Javert and Lea Salonga as Eponine are incomparable. Once I had started I just couldn't stop listening to it. Now, about three months later, I still can't stop. Believe me! Don't leave this! Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 26 Aug 2006
This review is from: 10th Anniversary Concert (Audio CD)
After listening to Les Mis as my parents only tape as a child i have grown up with it. On getting this Cd i can see why i have such fond memories of it. It is beutifully done, performed and the singing especially from the leads i.e Valjean and Javert is with so much passion i cant say. This is reflcted in the wild applause of the audience which reminds you that it is live and to perform music of this quality live is amazing. The cast once again is fantastic the music is beutiful and if your unfamiliar with Les Mis this is a great place to start. It is a great story but more importantly a fantastic piece of music with great songs, catchy, emotional and somewhat funny. So really in conclusion a great piece of music exceptionally well performed. Its inpiring, buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the great musicals....., 3 Aug 2007
Anyone who has seen Les Mis knows what a magical spell it throws on you once you have seen it. I was dragged there to watch it, and was spellbound. I was not lucky enough to see the original cast, and this album was a great opportunity to hear them.
Although the production could have been better (there is some hasty cut and pasting going on between songs!)the voices shine through. It does, though, lack the emotion of the actual proper musical itself, rather than the artists singing tracks alone.
Enjoy, but check out the show...its the real thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Track listing incorrect, 17 Dec 2008
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just a quick note about the track listing for disc two: the speeches are not included, despite being labelled as such on the CD cover. The listing should read:

20. Encore 1: Entrance of International Valjeans
21. Encore 2: Do You Hear the People Sing?/One Day More!

Otherwise, I echo the other reviews. It's a great listen and the catchy tunes make it surprisingly addictive. All the performances are top-notch, but Philip Quast's rendition of 'Stars' is just sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt one of the best CDs I have listened to in ages, 20 Sep 2000
This review is from: 10th Anniversary Concert (Audio CD)
This CD epitomises the international success of Les Miserables, probably one of the finest musicals in the world. The live concert manages to capture the spirit of the story, and the assembled cast are outstanding. Colm Wilkinson is a strong and brave Valjean, and Philip Quast outshines everyone with his portrayal of Javert. Everyone who loves Les Mis will love this, and the accompanying video only enhances the music. I'm already in the queue for tickets for the 20th anniversary concert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quast is magnificent, 14 Sep 2003
Trish Farrelly (Haslingden, England) - See all my reviews
Having seen the show a number of times, I listened to the CD of the anniversary concert with some anticapation. Would it live up to the hype? I was not disappointed, the anniversary concert was superb. The casting was spot on in my mind with one exception. I found Cosette rather disappointing - too simpering for my taste -perhaps the casting was designed to increase the number of Americans in the cast list to make it more appealing to an American audience. Anthony Crivello was excellent; comic and moving in equal measure, with a camp waspishness that I am sure Hugo would have approved of. My greatest praise is reserved for Philip Quast. The venom with which he sang his part made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Stars is soaring, uplifting and moving and thoroughly enjoyed by the audience. The soundtrack is a must for all Les Mis fans and Philip Quasts preformance alone is worth the price of the CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dream Cast? Yes, but what about sound quality?, 12 Dec 2004
A. Psillas "AP" (London) - See all my reviews
However the mastering of the recording itself is not up to standard, in terms of levels and the left channel distorts whenever a loud part is performed. Further more because of the short distance between the microphones and performers, low-frequency "pops" are very apparent throughout
I would also say that better picture direction would add enormously to the overall quality of the production.

10th Anniversary Concert
10th Anniversary Concert by Michael Ball (Audio CD - 1996)