Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 November 2005
Kimbrough was easily the most arresting figure in "Deep Blues," the documentary movie and soundtrack album about the contemporary Delta blues scene. Music critic Robert Palmer, the movie's "guide," produced All Night Long, Kimbrough's first full length album after more than 40 years of music-making. While many of the other modern Delta musicians are mere imitators of their predecessors, Kimbrough is starkly original. He's backed by just a drummer and bassist who have learned, after years of weekend dance parties at Kimbrough's juke joint, how to anticipate his constant, subtle shifts of rhythmic emphasis. The results resemble John Lee Hooker's boogie but sound less fussy, more ancient, more elemental.
Blues is really a genre of music that's in a process of constant flux, continual development and innovation..The versatility of blues musicians who create something that gives continuing fulfilment and pleasure is a gift that this great and now sadly missed musician had in abundance.
This is a fantastic album fulfilling the best of the deeply ingrained sounds emanating from the birthplace of blues,the Mississipi Delta.This album is a treasure and Rolling Stone Magazine was right when it rated this album among the 10 best blues albums of the decade.
on 24 July 2015
I was not familiar with the marketing concept of "Hill Country Blues" till quite recently. I already owned a few RL Burnside cds which I love for their vocal power, raw power, energy and hypnotic thrash/trance like beat. I was aware of the name of Junior Kimbrough but had not heard his music.

I was also highly impressed with Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" cd which was heavily influenced by this hill country blues style and I noted that three tracks were written by Junior Kimbrough.

So I bought "All Night Long". And it was a bit of a surprise. Clearly Buddy Guy had taken the Kimbrough songs and filtered them through RL Burnside.

I can certainly hear the essence of RL Burnside in the beat and vocal style but this cd is almost (dare I say it) quite sophisticated compared to RL
Burnside and is more of a direct link back to the style of John Lee Hooker but rooted in a 1940s country blues style compared to RL Burnside who has almost taken the country style and urbanised it in the same way that the Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and co took the Mississippi Blues style to Chicago and gave it a tougher harder city edge.

In short I like this cd but having been brought up on city blues probably prefer RL Burnside .
on 3 June 2016
Excellent album from Junior Kimbrough. The vinyl sounds lovely and fresh and the music is uniquely his, a hypnotic, trance inducing blues. I had a nasty jump on the title track but Amazon replaced the album without question. The replacement had several jumps on the B side too and like the first album, had several dirty marks on the vinyl. After a decent clean however the jumps were gone and the album plays through faultlessly. Great music let down by poor quality control at the pressing plant.

All Night Long [VINYL
on 29 November 2015
A great blue album. Wish I'd heard of kimbrough years ago.
on 5 October 2012
I loved him on the DEEP BLUES album - this is slightly disappointing for me - oh well...
I will still try some more Junior though