4.0 out of 5 stars The Best just got BETTER
If any Hayward/Moody blues fans don't have this creation, then get it now. It shows Justin in so many lights....with hints of all parts in his career. The first four tracks are pure Hayward brush strokes. The rest is a slight departure, but a welcome one all the same.
If you like Justin, you won't be let down
Published on 8 Dec 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Justin Hayward's "View from the hill"
"LOST ITS WAY": Sorry to disappoint all you MB fans out there, who (like myself) are also long-standing JH & JL fans, but "keep your money in your pocket" on this particular offering. Sorry, it's way WAY under par in my opinion!

I decided to expand my extensive MB/JH/JL CD collection to include this offering:

The album is obviously written with an...
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by M. Pont

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best just got BETTER, 8 Dec 2000
By A Customer
If you like Justin, you won't be let down

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificent Endeavor!, 8 Jan 2003
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
Justin Hayward carries on the legend of the Moody Blues with his latest and best solo effort. As in most MB recordings the beginning starts with an eerie spiritual instrumental before launching into the upbeat "I Heard It". All the songs are also mixed and faded into each other, just like most MB albums.
Stand-out cuts include, "Broken Dream" a melancholy look at days gone by and a coming of age; "The Promised Land" focuses on immigrants with a strong beat, clever, fast paced piano and uplifting lyrics and "Troubador", an upbeat rock/folk number speaks about love and hopeful futures.
Two songs seem more stringently like storytelling. "Something To Believe In" speaks in a positive way about a family on the edge and "Billy" is one of the saddest, lonliest songs ever written by Hayward. Even with it's bleak outcome, the song never reaches the depths of depression, but one of hope - a common theme in most of his songs.
All in all, this album hits on all levels and there isn't a dud in the set. Reaching all extremes in songwriting skills, guitar play and setting numerous moods, this solo effort will be one long rememered.
"The view from the hill is lonelier still without you" - Justin Haywa

5.0 out of 5 stars I Heard It and Loved It, 3 Jun 2004
Joan-Violet "Jo" (Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
I heard this Album on Justin Hayward's web site and loved it instantly, but they were sold out there, so here I am at Amazon giving my view of my purchase with them. I do love Something To Believe In and Broken Dream, its a pure Justin Hayward number with a feeling of Nights In White Satin and Question. The Way of the World is a more rocky number I have that on DVD too on a rare concert bonus track of a Justin Hayward live concert..of Justin walking through NY singing this track, it sure is a catchy one, love the guitar work. Billy is a sad track about a very sad life story of a young man..the music to this ballad is good. Paul Bliss The Moodies keyboard player is on the album with Justin and sings too his own penned song Something to Believe In...Troubadoor is a reflection of Justin's love of the craft. If you liked Songwriter, Night Flight and Moving Mountains you will love this.. an excellant album..smooth, flowing and catchy.
Why dont you stop-feel the wonder, listen to the sound...Well I heard it-I heard it.

5.0 out of 5 stars From an old fan., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: View From the Hill (Audio CD)
As a Moody Blues follower since the seventies, I found this most enjoyable. I would certainly recommend it to,other fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars mb-freak, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
I love it!!! "Bye it" You get the best of Justin Hayward. :-) The cd is in very good kvality' very nice sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Justin Hayward - As Fabulous as Ever1, 31 July 2012
This review is from: View From the Hill (Audio CD)
Loved the Moody Blues and have all of their albums. Justin Hayward too cannot do anything wrong as far as I am concerned. Loved this album, worth every penny - such a gifted singer/songwriter

5.0 out of 5 stars A Master of Words and Music! Justin's BEST Effort!, 13 July 2007
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
Justin is just an awesome talent and a greatly underrated singer, songwriter and guitarist!

This CD is a treasure---each song like a gem! The lush nuances of his voice... sadness, happiness, hopefulness... can be realized by the listener as well as his exquisite guitar playing. He is truly a wonderfully gifted and overlooked artist.

I hope he comes out with another solo-effort soon, I've worn out my first CD copy & had to buy another!

Jus...I ADORE YOU!

2.0 out of 5 stars Justin Hayward's "View from the hill", 9 Jan 2010
M. Pont (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)

The album is obviously written with an eye to our American cousins. Overblown, multi-dubbed, electro-synth. keyboards & programming dominates most tracks. Also, I have to say it, most of the songs aren't esp. tuneful, (strange for Justin, who is usually a master songsmith. His earlier and more accoustic numbers are VASTLY superior, as are most vintage MB offerings.)

Most of the written customer reviews I read before purchase proved 'codswallop' in my opinion,(I'm being polite here.) I should have saved my ús'. Best track, which IS excellent, is "Broken Dream", then "Billy". Nearest sound to the old JH/and MB accoustic is "Children of Paradise".

That's it folks. 'Pass' on this one..

MDP England

5.0 out of 5 stars The View From The Hill Looks Pretty Bright., 19 Aug 2008
Joy Andis "Angel Joy" (Ware, UK and Sedona AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
This is the 6th solo album from the lead singer of The Moody Blues. Justin Hayward proves on this outing that time only makes the best even better. In many ways, at this point, Justin's solo career has trumped the Moody Blues. Not a bad thing in itself, considering the very long run the Moodies have had.
This album was recorded in Italy, and a fine lineup helped to make this a truly great recording.
The album opens up with an electro-keyboard intro which leads into the 1st song:" I Heard It". A rocking melody that lifts you off your seat, souring to the heights.
Then there is the mellower, melancholy 2nd track, "Broken Dream" which speaks of a coming to terms with growing older and facing the reality that some dreams don't come true. The album meanders into pathways and vistas that encompass hope, love, truth and the ever enduring quest for justice and redemption that (most) everyone harbours. On "Troubadour", Justin recounts in a lovely, almost rockabilly way how he came to be a singer/songwriter. With the last track; "Children of Paradise", the hopes are pinned on a brighter future, by remembering the joys of the past. I was blown away by the simplicity of the accoustic tracks, and how things bared down make a far better sound than the current schloppy, overproduced sounds of today.
I think this album was what taught me to always remember that "Sometimes Less Is More", another indomitable song on this album.
There is more I could say about this album, the point is that I am very proud that this is in my library. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Hayward Solo, 12 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: View from the Hill (Audio CD)
I reckon this is the best solo album by JH, and the one that is most reminiscent of the later Moodies efforts. There are no weak tracks and occasionally he hits some real highs; best example "Children of Paradise" which rivals some of his sweeter moments on the "Blue Jays" album.

View from the Hill
View from the Hill by Justin Hayward (Audio CD - 1996)