Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2008
"Good Thing Lost" is an apt name for a Poppy Family album, as the group were lost after 5 years when they disbanded in 1973 and although Terry Jacks initially had solo success, Susan surprisingly had little. Therefore it is good to reflect on the period when Susan was at her most popular. Her voice is terrific - at times, powerful, yet sensitive and clear. Many tracks on this greatest hits album show off her voice to great effect -"Which Way You Goin',Billy?", "Tryin'", "Winter Milk", "You Don't Know What Love Is", and "I Was Wondering". It was "Billy" which first drew my attention to the Poppies and from then I was hooked. Later, less successful UK releases; "That's Where I Went Wrong" and "I Was Wondering", were beautiful and having played this "Hits" album numerous times, I can say I never tire of it and love every single track - great memories, great songs, great album. What a pity that after "Billy", they were largely ignored in the UK.
on 12 April 2010
Before I set out to review this cd I looked on Amazon USA and saw that there were 32 positive reviews. In Canada there were 24 positive. In the UK there were only 2 positive reviews and one of them was from America.

Most pop fans wouldn't even realise that Terry Jacks had a pop history before 'Seasons In the Sun' yet the proof is here. He does a brilliant job of it. He wrote all but one of these songs. He also arranged and produced the records. His wife at the time Susan Jacks sang all the songs. She does justice to every word and emotion sung. She has a glorious voice, distinctive and emotive.

I hadn't heard of The Poppy Family until last year. I checked out Youtube and a handful of their songs were there. I liked the few songs I heard and took the plunge and got the Cd. It quickly became one of my favourite Cds of all time. Everything about it: the memorable songs, the arrangements, the singer just oozes quality.

Their biggie was 'Which Way You Goin' Billy' but all their songs are worthwhile. If I had to single out a favourite track it would have to be 'You Took My Moonlight Away' which ends magnificently. Firstly with Susan singing wordlessly (like Princess Fiona does in Shrek, if you can picture that!). Secondly, the London Philarmonic Orchestra joins in with their 'dancing strings' (as Terry refers to it) till fade. Wonderful.

I would recommend this cd to anyone who likes a good pop song with great melodies and great voice.

I feel that it is almost a duty to let everyone know that The Poppy Family deserve your attention. Go buy it. You won't regret it.
Listening to the radio one day, I heard an familiar song that was beautiful, but had no idea who it was. After some research, I realized it was "The Poppy family", a group I had never heard of before. Purchasing the CD, I immediately recognized all those old tunes very clearly. "The Poppy Family" was very popular from 1968-1972. In fact, the two founding members are Susan and Terry Jacks. The latter famous for that relentlessly repetitious and popular "Seasons In The Sun".

Susan Jacks has a beautiful voice as a lead and background. The set is very well mixed and there is a very strong essence of Hippie influenced instruments, including congas, inventive percussion of all kinds, sitar, some special vocal effects and guitar licks that are so prevalent of that period. The lyrics are of the Vietnam and drug period. As a side note, Kurt Cobain was a huge fan of "The Poppy Family", which is a big endorsement.

Highlights you'll remember are, "Which Way You Goin', Billy" (two versions), the wonderfully strong, "That's Where I Went Wrong" (both in the Top Ten of USA Contemporary hits), the anthemic "I Was Wondering" with a fantastic background mix of horns, "Where Evil Grows", "Good Friends" and many more with a total of twenty-one (21) songs.

The sound is very much the West Coast USA sound, so its interesting to know that the "Poppy Family" is all from Vancouver, Canada. Check out "The Poppy Family" and your own musical history.

"You are my whole, babe
My heart and my soul, babe" - "Which Way You Goin' Billy"
on 24 December 2015
Great 60s sunshine pop with sitar on some tracks
Susan jacks has a pleasing voice
But is No GRACE SLICK
NEVERELESS I ENJOYED THIS CD V MUCH
on 10 April 2013
Bought this for my mum for mothers day she loved it ,best regards jean, will all ways buy my music here
on 13 January 2015
Absolutely magical... Psychedelic pop with occasional darkness... Highly recommended!
on 8 August 2014
I LOVE THE SONG WHICH WAY YOU GOIN' BILLY THATS THE REASON I BROUGHT THE CD
on 14 December 2014
I love music and this was a something new for me, and I love it.
on 15 October 2015