5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime
I have to ration my listening of this particular CD because it is one of my favourites. The soloists in the Stabat Mater sing beautifully to my taste. And you would have to be a hi-fi nerd to worry about the quality of the recording which seems good to me.
Published on 20 July 2009 by turquoiseowl

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another poor recording of an excellent piece
As I have said, a moving and emotive piece but poorly recorded. I have yet to find a really good recording of this piece.
Published on 24 July 2004 by Mr. A. J. Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 20 July 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars good recording, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
I wanted this recording to get some idea of the music for a performance I am involved in. The choral bits are clear and well performed. Not sure I am so keen on the Alto soloist, but I think that is a matter of taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this piece better known?, 22 April 2012
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
I have had this recording of Dvorak's Stabat Mater for some time and have recently had the privilege in taking part in a performance of it.

I am pretty certain that it was a more popular piece than it is now; it contains some wonderfully singable music and some gorgeous solo passage work. I thoroughly enjoy both the experience of singing and listening to this music. For this reason, I am a little surprised that it has not become a staple of conductors in the way that choral works of Haydn, Beethoven, Elgar and others have become. A look through the catalogue only shows a small minority of conductors have committed the work to disk very few of whom are really considered first rank orchestral conductors.

My first exposure to Dvorak as a choral composer was as a teenager playing percussion in his Te Deum. I thought at the time that that work had a slightly 'operatic' fervour and made me wonder whether Dvorak was an operatic composer as well as a symphonic one. 30 years on, the Stabat Mater has me making the same reflections. There are moments which are quite Verdian in their sweep and intensity. Maybe this explains why it has not been tackled that often - it does not seem [to my ears] to be particularly Dvorakian.

If you are going to try this work, you could do a lot worse than purchase this recording by Rafael Kubelik. All the playing and singing is of a very high standard and believe me, the 90 minutes music will flow past very quickly, it is just so beautiful to listen to. The soloists are all very well known. However for me, the discovery was the Polish tenor, Wieslav Ochman, who sings his bits with a lovely Eastern European plangency. I became an instant fan after listening to this recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
Mike Evans (herefordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
Good recording at a very competitive price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good work., 10 July 2013
Ms. F. E. Chorlton "Frieda" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
A wonderful recording which helped me to learn the Stabat Mater for a perfomance in Beverley Minster. Well performed. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable., 6 Nov 2012
Martin Hodson (Gwent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
At a bargain price for 2 CDs this is an excellent version of Dvorak's great choral work. I really liked the orchestral and choral sound , the excellent soloists and a conductor who, for me, catches the right moods and speeds to make for a good listening experience. You won't go far wrong with this recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find, 13 Feb 2012
Shazza (Bolton Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
I was told about this work , and this particular recording. As I had never heard it I thought 'let's give it a go' , what a treasure it has turned out to be. Definitely Dvorak at his best, so hypnotic - but make sure you listen to it more than once to really form an opinion. Arrived within the expected time, great condition, excellent recording - treat yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning classic, 1 Mar 2002
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
This has all the hallmarks of a fine recording. With the effective support of orchestra and conductor the soloists and chorus sparkle in this extremely underated choral work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak Stabat Mater, 15 Sep 2009
Mr. M. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
This is probably the benchmark recording, opulent sound from the Herculessaal, the massed forces of Bavarian Radio on superb form, a stellar cast of soloists, but most especially a conductor who knows the score from the inside, out. Rafael Kubelik is a world great.
Martin Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Forty minutes of pleasure; 90 of boredom, 29 Jan 2006
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends (Audio CD)
Dvorak's Legends are a delightful set of miniatures, very typical of this golden composer. Kubelik, one of the great conductors of his music, teams up with the ECO for an enchanting addendum to what is, truth be told, an hour and a half of tedium with the BRSO et al. Stabat Mater was a huge success in its day, but even with a spritely conductor it makes Brahms' Deutsche Requiem seem operatic. No matter how much you love Dvorak, this religious music will seem an eternity, and not in a good way. So, I'd say this CD twofer is worth getting for the Legends and maybe if you take the Stabat Mater one movement at a time, it won't feel like a dead weight. Check out Szymanowski to hear a more valuable setting of this devotional hymn.

Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends
Dvorák: Stabat Mater/Legends by Antonín Dvorák (Audio CD - 1996)