5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite piano CDs
Published on 18 Aug. 2009 by Scriabinmahler

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped in my view.
Published on 17 Jan. 2012 by Big John

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite piano CDs, 18 Aug. 2009
Scriabinmahler (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
Probably one of the finest recordings of Lyric Pieces is Richter's live recording, released on 2CD by Stradivarius (sadly out of print now), but Gilels' DG recording well matches Richter's for its depth of poetry and tonal delicacy. Like Richter, Emil Gilels' playing is self-effacing and he just lets the music quietly speak for itself, while technically it's immaculately fluid and at the same time focussed. For anyone who can appreciate the art of piano playing, this is a real treat and a must-have CD. It's a shame that Gilels recorded only selections of the suites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
Surely one of the most beautiful piano recordings ever made: balm, celebration and reverie.

Along with the Michelangeli Ravel in G and the Gould Goldbergs, one of the things that persuades we may yet have a future as a species.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the most 'lyric' music around, 17 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
What can I really say about this CD. It is without a doubt some of the best music ever written for the piano. Some of the pieces included here seem to be from another world. Or perhaps listening to them takes you to another world. How can such beauty be real -- just listen to the 'Melodie' or the 'Notturno'.
When I listen to this CD I fall in love with life. I realise that a tree is not just a tree, and that life is an incredible gift. Do I need to say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Virtuoso!, 4 April 2009
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
I have listened to Gilels' performances, he is really virtuosic performer, with like steel fingers, and I have thought he is not good at small and nice piece but I was completely wrong. In this recording, he played Grieg pieces so elegantly, so beautifully. I was so impressed, this recording opened my eyes. In addition, he made me find Grieg Lyric pieces were much more beautiful and worth playing/listening than I had thought.

Must-buy recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of art, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
This album is full of what it means to be a human being. To me, it transcends the recorded medium and speaks directly to the soul. I love hearing the beginnings of Debussy and Bill Evans in the music. A must own.

5.0 out of 5 stars BONBONS FILLED WITH SNOW, 21 Nov. 2003
DAVID BRYSON (Glossop Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
Grieg's music does not remind me of Norway as I have never been there. His comparatively high profile is mainly due, it seems to me, from his status as a national icon - he may well be the only Norwegian composer I have ever heard of -- and while he does not seem to me to be even remotely of the stature of Nielsen far less Sibelius, he benefits in the way they do from the same factor. In musical terms the parallel that strikes me for Grieg is McDowell whose star is outshone in his own musical firmament.
This recital has very much the feel of A Great Man Plays Grieg, and I more than half sense that I have awarded it 5 stars because I would not dare not to. The liner-note writer expresses due wonder that so exalted a virtuoso should have put so much work and care into pieces that can't have put much strain on his technique. My own sense of the matter is that what would seem order-of-magnitude differences in difficulty to an amateur like, say, myself were probably not even apparent to Gilels at all, and that the matters that exercised him, matters of interpretation and expression, were as serious here as in music of more obvious 'difficulty'. It would take a professional to handle the Scherzo op 54/5 as Gilels does, but technicians of the highest order seem to be ten a penny these days. What Gilels himself appears to have been drawn to, when he belatedly became aware of the pieces, was a special sense of intimacy in them, so that is what I looked for in his readings, and that is what I found. His tone in the first of the 20 pieces here, the Arietta, is conspicuously beautiful and affectionate, and here as throughout the disc the recording is sensitive and responsive. One senses that he and the works are new to each other, and that in the very best sense. The feel is thoughtful and involved rather than spontaneous, and that seems right to me too. I don't in general find Grieg spontaneous in the sense that the word would apply to Schubert or Weber or Mendelssohn or Schumann. The thought flitted in and out of my mind now and again that I would like to hear these pieces done by Cziffra whose peculiarly innocent effortlessness would surely have shed an entirely different and more unpredictable light on them, but I have no idea whether he recorded them, or played them, or even knew them. The thought was never there for long - Gilels kept me fully involved in his own inward interpretations of this inward music.
The 20 pieces were selected by Gilels himself, and are given in strict opus-number sequence. If you listen attentively you will hear a process of change in the composer's idiom, notably in the slower numbers. If Im Balladenton op 65/5 is the same 'Ballade' as was apparently admired by Brahms I think I can appreciate why, and the liner-note author rightly draws attention to the harmonic advance in the really affecting Vorueber op 71/6. The playing-time of the disc falls well short of an hour, but enough of a good thing is enough. This is a notable if slightly out-of -the-way memorial to a great player. I'm very glad I acquired it, and I imagine many will be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped in my view., 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
Although clearly well-played, I found this recording dull and monotonous. Gilels over-does the navel-gazing and refuses to acknowledge the youthful, spirited side of the music. My copy is in the out pile. I prefer the wider breadth of expression exhibited by Lapsanskż (3 discs cover the whole lot, on Donau). Yes, he may stuggle with some of the most technically demanding passages - I would be suspicious of anyone who didn't - but I find the result is much more beautiful, fresh and fulfilling than this recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
EXCELLENT

5.0 out of 5 stars What have you to compare?, 6 Mar. 2013
P. S. Duarte "paulo duarte" (Rio, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) (Audio CD)
What have you to compare with Grieg’s Lyric Pieces played by Gilels in DG? Only Andsnes in EMI. That is no more choices that match that excellence in piano performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Jan. 2015
ge_nyc (new york, ny) - See all my reviews
superb

Grieg: Lyric Pieces  (DG The Originals)
Grieg: Lyric Pieces (DG The Originals) by Emil Gilels (Audio CD - 1996)