5.0 out of 5 stars The best
Published on 19 Dec. 2005 by Mr. J. E. Matthew

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen before buying.
Published on 4 Feb. 2008 by R. T.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 19 Dec. 2005
Mr. J. E. Matthew "jackmatthew2005" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1 / The Nutcracker Suite (Audio CD)
I've listened to dozens of reecordings of this work and two stand out. One is currently unavailable (browning LSO, Ozawa) and this is the other. It's perhaps the 'safest' choice for this concerto as it combines excellent sound with a sharp and exciting performance. It's hard to describe how excellent it really is but I can say that this recording has been widely acclaimed by a wide range of critics so it's a CD that you can buy in confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic account of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1, 23 April 2013
Out of all the recordings of Tchaikovsky's great piano concerto no.1, two stand out for me. One is Ronan O'Hora/James Judd/RPO recorded in 1994, and the other is a CD made in 1995 with the amazing Martha Argerich/Claudio Abbado and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra(DG). I prefer the dramatic opening movement with the horn fanfare at a fast tempo and that's what happens here. Martha comes in with the big sweeping chords in grand style and maintains that throughout the first movement. In the second movement come the emotional quality and deft touch that make Martha Argerich so listenable. The power and strength in her playing return in the final movement. This is an amazing version of this tremendous work. Also on this CD is a fantastic piano duet of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite with Martha Argerich and Nicolas Economou and it is exquisitely played by both pianists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 21 May 2014
C. Redwood - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this CD. In the Piano Concerto, the piano is balanced forward of the orchestra in what seems to me to be an artificial way. Whilst this has the benefit of being able to hear the piano more clearly than I think I have ever heard it before, it doesn't sound like I would hear it in a real concert hall. I like the performance of the 1st and 2nd movements. This is not a typical 'hit the keys as hard as you can' performance - there is much subtlety to be heard. The last part of the 3rd movement is taken too fast for my liking. Whilst it is exciting, it is so fast that detail is lost, and in a couple of places it is danger of falling apart.

The Nutcracker suite is an enjoyable filler, well played and recorded. If you enjoy it, you may wish to have a listen to the Percy Grainger paraphrase of the Waltz of the Flowers as a comparison.

So overall - mixed feelings - I can't help feeling that there are better versions of the piano concerto to be heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars crisp and superb, 23 Dec. 2009
The Nutcracker Suite arranged here for two pianos is music making at its very best. Delightful from start to finish; 'The Waltz of the Flowers' is worth the price of the disc alone.

Of slightly more questionable worth is the Concerto. All of Argerich's recordings are occasions and the sound quality and playing here is delectable. My reservations are with the choice of tempi which, particularly in the first movement, seem to be just a little too fast. This concerto is an ugly and grandiose beast in some ways, as are all of Tchaikovsky's piano concerti, and I feel that some of the grandeur gets lost here. This recording is a sleek Grand National winner, not a big old frisky cart horse as some listeners may prefer.

On the other hand, it is such a well known piece that hearing it in a slightly different way is no harm at all. But I think you will still go back to your old favourite afterwards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Aug. 2011
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Yet another unbelievably marvellous performance of both the Piano Concerto and the Nutcracker by this exceptionally talented artiste, although her accompanist also deserves much credit. Even though I have other orchestral recordings of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker", I thought that a piano version would be something different. What a great alternative! I am delighted with this recording, but then any performance by Martha Argerich, whether alone or accompanied, is likely to be a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Dec. 2014
L. Stone - See all my reviews
Arrived on time. Sounds superb and I got a free MP4 version of it as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen before buying., 4 Feb. 2008
R. T. (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This performance is not to my taste. I found it mannered, erratic and unpleasant. Again and again I found elements of the performance intrusively surprising, especially the 'rubato'. I strongly advocate hearing it before you buy it. Don't assume, as I did, that it will be a solid classic performance. Also, the overall soundscape is muddy, lumpy and just generally unpleasant. One man's meat, but poison for me I am afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha Agerich, 15 Jun. 2014
Mr. Grahame D. Kelly (Britain) - See all my reviews
What could I possibly say about the artist or the music that would not make me sound foolish. This recording of the Tchaikovsky is so well recommended, I am replacing a lot of old vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pianists, 26 Sept. 2014
Very nice piece of music - I bought this product for my husband who really appreciates this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD BUY SECOND HAND, 29 Dec. 2010
Christopher W. Brierley - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I read the reviews on this CD and on many alternatives.I only know this first concerto well,the others interest me less,I bought a used "as new" one from an Amazon shop and am very satisfied with my bargain at 75% discount ! I cannot add any critical comments as to the quality of the performance,other reviewers have done that with more authority than I can offer,apart from saying it is a driven and exciting one,it is all so personal and subjective. However,where I can offer some comment is regarding the recording quality.There are 3 sounds systems here,a Pure bookshelf system,a Sony 5.1 system with BluRay/DVD/CD player and best of all my Cambridge Audio system,ancient but superior.I tried this CD on all 3.It has a good sound stage,with the whole orchestra laid out in front,you can imagine being there with your eyes shut and sitting relaxed.However string tones,well violins,do go edgy in loud sections,with loss of fine detail and seem to suffer some "interference/modulation" from the rest of the orchestra and the louder the orchestra plays the more noticeable this is,hence the 4 stars.That is not to say the recording is poor,the orchestra is only playing flat out for a small percentage of the time,but for a relatively modern recording I expect better.Just to prove my ears were not playing tricks I put on some other CD's of varous ages from Decca,some remastered as ADD,later ones DDD,none exhibited the same problems.There are many other recordings available of this popular piece and my advice is if you have any doubts try and listen to some samples.

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1 / The Nutcracker Suite
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1 / The Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky (Audio CD - 2011)