5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Stravinsky, 24 Feb 2009
This review is from: Stravinsky: Three mouvements from Petrushka; Prokofiev: Piano Sonata 7; Webern: Piano Variations; Boulez: Piano Sonata 2 (Audio CD)
This CD combines two famous vinyl recordings so the price to older collectors is increadibly cheap. The Stravinsky transcription is a breathtaking performance, the Prokofiiev is first rate but I expect fans of this composer would want all three war time sonatas, there is plenty of good versions including Richter.

The other LP was ground breaking, Webern and Boulez , note perfect and treated as music, not of mad men, but lyrical and intense. There are plenty of good recordings of the Webern now, Peter Hill on Naxos springs to mind, but this one of the best. Boulez is a harder nut, I love the later works but have found the early sonatas difficult. Ten playings later I am getting there, its worth perservering and this recording justifies it

So for vituosity and musicianship this is a must have

5.0 out of 5 stars Praised and impressive, 1 Mar 2005
Patrik Lemberg (Tammisaari Finland) - See all my reviews
Pollini's performance of these three movements from Stravinsky's Petrouchka and Prokofiev's Piano Sonata no.7 were recorded in 1971, and his performance of Webern's Piano Variations and Boulez's Piano Sonata were recorded in 1976. These recordings were originally released by Deutsche Grammophon on two separate LP records; the first in 1972, and the second in 1978. They have now been refurbished and combined on this 68+ minute disc. One does not have to be familiar with the sound of the original recordings to appreciate Deutsche Grammophon's restoration job; the sound is clear and should be satisfactory to any listener.
I love Stravinsky's own reading of Petrouchka (CSO, 1960) - it was my first introduction to his music, and it is still the recording of the ballet which, for me, is closest to heart, but Pollini's performance on this disc is indeed amazing. It's in a class of its own, and I therefore suggest for people who like Petrouchka to listen to this performance of it, as it will allow new comprehensions of melodic lines that earlier might not have appeared as tangible. The main reason for my having listened to this disc at least 20 times during the last few weeks is because of the Prokofiev tracks; both music and performance are beyond my vocabulary, but I suppose are describable as stunning. This disc has been my first introduction to both Prokofiev's and Boulez's music, and I must say that I favour the music of Prokofiev - it is easily digested in comparison to Webern's and Boulez's music, but the performances here are all impressive; they will not allow you to listen with anything but a keen ear. This has to be one of the most tasteful and thrilling piano-albums of modern classical music. 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning playing, 27 July 2006
I listened to this CD recently and I feel that it is one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard. The Stravinsky I had previously heard performed by Yefim Bronfman in a good performance, but this one is in a different league. I think it is Pollini's phrasing and notice of articulation - even in some very hairy moments - that is most impressive. Really cool!

The Prokofiev and the Webern are also beautifully played. As for the Boulez, he's a bit of a wet fish and I don't see the point in music like this. Sorry!

ARRAY(0xa0acbdbc)