5.0 out of 5 stars A Touchstone Recording
This is a magnificent, touchstone recording of Organ Symphony, which displays glorious BPO sounds in full (how tame and dull it sounds now under Simon Rattle!). The sublime slow movement is played most beautifully with the stunning sense of rapt lyricism. The last movement is one of the most powerful and exciting on records.
Published on 6 Dec. 2011 by Scriabinmahler

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensational line-up, 11 Mar. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ" (Audio CD)
I have loved the classical organ for the past 40 years and since my schooldays have thought nothing of travelling huge distances to hear recitals by some of the greatest performers of their time, on some of the world's finest instruments. When I was a schoolboy Karajan was my favourite conductor and the Berlin Phil. the orchestra I admired most. The great organ of Notre Dame has also always been one of my absolute favourites and I remember daydreaming a a teenager about how wonderful it would be if all of these could be assembled to produce a definitive performance of this stunning work. When thumbing one day through the latest issue of Gramophone Magazine imagine my excitement when I saw that the impossible had happened. Needless to say the LP was in my collection in 'record' time and it has been one of my most valued possessions ever since.

I think I have heard all the best known versions but none in my opinion comes close for sheer excitement and ravishing sound. As an added bonus it even has the great Cochereau on the French instrument, whose snarling reeds are perfectly suited to this work. I did read one review accusing it of being 'over-the-top' but I really feel that this is often what Romantic performances are about and I find some of the alternatives decidedly wishy-washy in comparison.

Buy it, sit down with a glass of something and prepare to be invigorated, but take care not to spill your drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! A TOTAL LIE, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ" (Audio CD)
IN REPLY TO THE MOM FROM OZ!WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!A TOTAL LIE!GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT YOU IDIOT HEHE ITS YOUUU THAT SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF EVERYTING!I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU KIDS,I BET YOU SUCK THE JOY.LIFE AND LOVE OUT OF THEM!ITS VERY APPROPIATE YOU FROM OZ,I BET YOU ARE WICKED WITCH HEHE DING DONG THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD! HEHE KARAJAN IS THE GREATEST CONDUCTOR EVER AND YOU CANT TOUCH HIM.KNOW YOUR PLACE LITTLE GIRL! HEHE AND THIS RECORDING IS, AMONG SO MANY,IS ONE OF HIS "GOLDEN" RECORDINGS!I WEEP(WITH SORROW) FOR YOU!!! HEHE

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: a very low "energy" recording, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ" (Audio CD)
Von Karajan became conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic after Furtwangler. Rumour has it that the orchestra wept (in sorrow) after their first rehearsal with Von Karajan because he absolutely sucked the life out of the music. He has done this with Saint-Saens 3rd organ symphony. Sadly, I'd forgotten that story before I purchased this recording. I've given away...to someone who doesn't know I don't like them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you 'Babe'!, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ" (Audio CD)
I didn't know this work until I saw the film 'Babe'. That was years ago, and I always meant to hear the whole work, but never got round to it. I am so glad I finally managed it - the thrill of the last movement is hard to beat.

Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ"
Saint-Saens: Symphony No.3 "Organ" by Camille Saint-Saens (Audio CD - 2004)