Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 October 2012
Vivaldi is generally one of the sunniest of composers, and a soft Mediterranean light certainly filters through these five works.
This lovely disc is worth its price alone for the first of the two lute concertos - here played by the great Narciso Yepes on guitar - which has a central five-minute Largo movement that is about as meditative as Vivaldi ever gets, and all the more impressive for that. Yepes and the Orchestre de Chambre play with all the gravitas at their disposal. The result is captivating. Indeed, the musicianship displayed on all the works here is pretty much flawless.
On the second of the concerti on the disc, we hear Monique Frasca-Colombier on Viola d`amore alongside Yepes. This work too has a beguiling Largo, this time a lighter, more languid one. The combination of guitar, viola and the chamber orchestra is disarmingly delightful. A lovely work.
Takashi and Silvia Ochi are the two players on the concerto for mandolin and concerto for two mandolins, both of which are utterly charming, the instrument happily suiting the composer and this musical form.
A final concerto for 2 flutes, 2 bassoons, 2 violins, 2 guitars, `cello, strings and harpsichord ends this recital - Vivaldi must have been feeling particularly expansive that day. It`s a marvellous piece.
I highly recommend these five concerti by the irrepressible Venetian, and this rather wonderful disc - despite (in my copy, anyway) a complete lack of any notes other than track listings and artists` names. Any chance to hear Yepes in his prime is worth seizing, and he plays like a dream.
Enchanting music.
I am truly surprised by the other reviews. It is not the performers' fault. They are great. It is the recording. I had forgotten that it was originally recorded in 1972. It sounds both boomy and boxy. I can't work out what on earth the digital remastering has done. I don't expect recordings like this from Deutshe Gramophon. I can't give this away as a present at Christmas time. I would not want a charity shop to be saddled with it. I think it will turn into a raffle prize and I pity whoever wins it. There are next to no sleeve notes. I am not tempted to try the'Resonance' label again in case this is representative. I love back catalogue but not this.
on 2 July 2015
Pleasant enough but surely the 'authentic instrument' brigade have consigned this type of performance obsolete? The style is heavy and unwieldy tempi are lumpy.The actual playing isnot in question but again the whole thing is almost Bruknerian in excecution,and only fit for the car!
on 16 March 2013
My New Year's resolution for 2013 was to learn to play the mandolin. Ambitious as, at the age of 53, I have no musical ability.

I bought this for inspiration. Very good, and the mandolin players are faster and more skilful than I will ever be.
on 17 December 2013
It's my favourite instrument of all - and this heavenly CD is played as I work over and over again. Downlaosded it and sent it to my grandson who plays guitar superbly. Now he is being converted to the divine sounds of the lute with this exalted CD!!!
on 27 March 2013
If you like the more popular Vivaldi works you will love this collection.
Nice recordings on a great label,by accomplished artists at a budget price.
Settle down in a quiet place,and appreciate the virtuosity of Yepes,Ochi,and Frasce-Colombier.
I particularly enjoyed the wonderful Mandolin pieces by Takashi Ochi.
I have had this CD for several years and play it frequently,as it is always fresh,and uplifting.
A bargain at this price.
on 13 February 2010
I am not a classical music expert but I loved this and it has given me the idea to learn to play the mandolin.
on 11 January 2014
wonderful to just sit and listen to - if you are new to Vivaldi as a composer of Lute and Mandolin music you will not be disappointed. Just sit back, close your eyes and enjoy!
on 21 November 2013
such an exquisite collection of perfectly crafted pieces by Vivaldi - so good to know that there is more to Antonio than the Four Seasons!
on 6 September 2015
I love that Vivaldi concertos. Beautiful peace of art. Guitar concertos by Vivaldi are timeless. He composed much more beautiful musics than Four Seasons.....