5.0 out of 5 stars The man is truly a legend!
Having bought this album for my Mum for Christmas after reading the existing reviews on this site raving about it, and having been blown away after listening to it, I felt compelled to come on here and add to the afore-mentioned reviews and urge anyone who will listen to me to buy this album.
I know that I am not the first to be amazed by the debut effort of "The...
Published on 2 Jan 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Ritchie Sambora
Slightly disappointed with some of the tracks on this CD. Was expecting something a bit different as I feel I've heard it all before, not very original I thought. Best played as background music, rather than music to listen to.
Published on 29 Oct 2012 by Dizzylizzie

5.0 out of 5 stars The man is truly a legend!, 2 Jan 2004
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
I know that I am not the first to be amazed by the debut effort of "The King of Swing". From my Bon Jovi obsession I knew Richie to be a very talented singer-songwriter and guitarist, but I only realised the depth of that talent on hearing this album. Richie's voice is soulful with a rough edge, his guitar playing exquisite and his lyrics can only be described as poetry. Having heard Jon's solo efforts, this album arguably answers the question of who the real talent behind Bon Jovi is. I urge you all to believe the existing reviews on this site about this album. I put my faith in them and neither my Mum nor I were disappointed; in fact, our expectations were surpassed. So all that remains for me to say is if you like Bon Jovi, you'll love this album, and if you simply appreciate music from the heart, this is the album for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Bon Jovi!, 9 Feb 2002
J. E. Baxter "LazyRizzo" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
The guitar virtuosity is unmistakable, the incredible talent and ability Richie has to make a guitar sing, reveal raw emotions and speak to the heart and soul of anyone with ears to listen. His first solo album reveals him as a consummate musician and singer-songwriter.Consider that some of the songs were written when he was only nineteen,and it's apparent that he's a world class artist. The fact that the album did not receive the critical acclaim it should have done only goes to prove that the rock press are too set in their ways and too prejudiced against the kind of solo ability Richie has to pay any real attention to him.
Track by track, the album winds its way into the soul of the listener, introducing us to Richie the man, Richie the artist and Richie the seeker of the answer. I defy anyone to listen to the last track on the album and remain unmoved by the lyrics. On a personal level, Ballad of Youth has to be one of my own favourite tracks, with its burning underlying lick and the strong message that we've all made mistakes but the main thing is to learn from them and then move on. River of Love is also a particular favourite, if only because the man is so damned sexy as well as talented that I can't listen to that one without a cold shower!
Eric Clapton's contribution to Mr. Bluesman is played brilliantly and it was such a milestone in Richie's life when he agreed to play on that track. Many people miss the real skill behind the first track, it bears really listening to and appreciating it in all its aspects.
The album as a whole is a perfect example of the wide-ranging skills of the man. Veering from blues through melodic rock, ballads with a gospel flavour to the rocking heavy feel of Rosie and River of Love, there can't be an artist with the talent at his fingertips and a voice that could melt permafrost like Richie Sambora. The King of Swing,long may he reign!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi, without the hairspray!!, 3 Aug 2006
D. B. Walsh "Dec" (Reading) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
When this album was released I was still listening to the Jon Bon Jovi Young Guns 2 soundtrack and I felt that something was missing. This album proved to me that musically Jon needs Richie. Some could argue that when it comes to promoting the band maybe Richie needs Jon.

The mixture of the Rock Ballads and Bluesy guitar is what makes this album special. Richies voice is so strong that it's a pity that he doesn't do more solo singing on the Bon Jovi albums.

"Stranger in this town" and "Father Time" are brilliant haunting ballads, whilst "Rosie" and "Ballad of Youth" are guitar rock at it's best. Barely 1 average song on this album and something for every mood you may be in.

At this price buy it and turn the volume up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best solo effort of the band members, 12 Aug 2005
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album written, performed and produced by a much overlooked and overshadowed singer/songwriter. Richie Sambora evokes pure passion and magic in this album. From heart-thumping heavy songs like Ballad of Youth, ballads like The Answer to songs that surpass genres like Stranger In This Town and Rosie, this album is a must have. I only wish I could do more to make people hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 stars out of 5 for the fantastic Mr Sambora!, 12 July 2003
E. L. Day "Corgi Fan" (Reading, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
I bought this album out of curiousity.Being a huge Bon Jovi fan I was interested to see what each seperate member of the band could achieve outside the band.I already own one of David Bryan's fantastic albums and Stranger in This Town has already taken a shot at being my most favourite album ever. Sambora wrote a album of songs that are hard to place,in a industry full of genres I suppose you could place them as blues-rock as the songs are full of wisedom shared by Sambora that has obviously been learnt the hard way.
Songs such as Ballad of Youth,Stranger in This Town and Rosie tell of personal hardships and experiences whilst warning of the downfalls of life.
There are also slow,rock ballads that can only be described as heart-breaking.Father Time and One Light Burning are intense and beautiful.The lyrics tell stories of love and longing.One Light Burning in particular is of epic proportions and emotes true feelings in the listener.
Admittedly the first track,Rest in Piece,is not a great opener but the next song,Church of Desire,more than makes up for it.
As this is an album by Richie Sambora,aka The King of Swing(all hail!) there are rocky songs that get you moving,such as Rosie and River of Love.In true Sambora style River of Love is about getting down to some lovin' and is a welcome break to the soul searching of the rest of the album. There is a lot of the famous Sambora humour in River of Love and it seems to fit in with the rest of the album.The beauty of this album is that no track is alike and is a welcome break from the sometimes samey Jovi albums.
Overall this album makes you think and do some soul searching for yourself.If your open minded and really listen to the messages in music then you will love this album.Not all Jovi fans will like this but if you like some of the darker songs of Jovi or are interested to see what Sambora is capable of then I think you will be pleasantly surprised,I know I was!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this guy in Bon Jovi?, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Have never been a big Bon Jovi fan so it was under duress that I listened to this album. I was blown away.
From track 1 thru track 10 this is thoroughly impressive stuff. The voice sounds like dirty gravelly charcoal and this adds real flavour to the record. The guitar work really is very good - this guy does not get the credit he is due. The songs are well written adn played superbly - if in doubt listen to One Light Burning - one of the true great songs.
Once again brilliant - I'm off to buy Undiscovered Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Richie solo debut!, 29 Nov 2004
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
Sometimes when you hear a particular song or album you're instantly transported to the very first moment you heard it.
In my case this was a hot evening in June 1991. I was 15 years old sitting on my parents sofa with a pair of massive headphones on my ears listening to Tommy's Vance's Friday Night Rock Show when this haunting keyboard intro starting up. Soon enough, a slow, but eerie guitar riff faded in followed a thumping bass line before the song exploded into my ears. After the song finished Tommy Vance announced "Richie Sambora. Church Of Desire. From his forthcoming solo album." I hadn't heard anything like it before and as a result I turned my back on Bobby Brown and Kylie. Unfortunately I misheard Tommy Vance's announcement as "Peachy Satsuma: Church Of Desire" which, needless to say, didn't help my find a copy of the single.
(I've since found out it was never released as a single.)
Some months later I caught the music video for "Ballad Of Youth" on a late night ITV1 rock show called "Raw Power". Over the next year I really got the chance to discover Bon Jovi thanks to a friend lending me a tape of "New Jersey". I begged my parents to buy me "Stranger In This Town" for Christmas". I'm glad they did.
Unsually, I have to listen to an album album 3 or 4 times before I'll start liking it. This was instant. Prove as to why critics call Richie one of the greatest guitarists of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath-taking, 30 Nov 2000
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
The very first time I heard this album, I cried. Singing back-up in Bon Jovi really does Richie NO justice. His vocal, and writing talents are phenomenal. When I first got the CD I did what I always do, play the song which was released,(or the one that you know about anyway) which in this case was Ballad of Youth. Well, after wearing out that song, I decided to give the rest of the disk a try, and boy, was I glad that I did. Father Time and The Answer, are probably 2 of the best songs I have ever heard, and The Answer reduces me to tears EVERY TIME I HEAR IT!! An interesting little tid-bit for all thise Bon Jovi fans out there, Rosie was a left over from New Jersey, but it's a great song just the same. This is a must for any Bon Jonvi fan, and generally for anyone who likes meaningful lyrics, and haunting melodies. I really love this CD, and it remains just as powerful now as it was when it was first released. Thank-you Richie for songs deep meaningful songs like The Answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richie shows how versatile he his: And how he does it!, 29 Jun 2001
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
When I hear the words, Richie Sambora in the same sentence I think of the biggest imspiration I have had probably in my whole life. I first learned to play the guitar because I heard Richie rock out on Bon Jovi's massive albums. When I first heard the solo on Dry County, I was taken back- amazing! Then I decided to explore my heroes past and I found Stranger in this town, and Undiscovered Soul.
Stranger.. is Richies true feelings I think. He expresses himself so well. My personal favourite is obviously Stranger in this Town.
The fact that this and Undiscovered... have got -ve reviews is because it isn't Bon Jovi. It is Richie, not Jon and Richie. It truly is amazing. Richie says Clapton is the best guitarist, but Clapton doesn't come close, in fact, Clapton ruins Mr Bluesman.
Definitely full marks for me. Lets hope there is more to come from this genius of music.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The man is under rated!, 13 July 2003
This review is from: Stranger In This Town (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. Words cannot possibly do it justice. 'Stranger in this Town', 'Mr. Bluesman', and 'One Light Burning' are the outstanding songs for me, but that's not to say the others are poor. I don't think that this album has a weakness.
I am of the opinion that Richie Sambora is one of the most under rated musicians in the world. Not only can he play the guitar like nobody else on earth (just listen to 'Dry County' on Bon Jovi's "Keep The Faith" album), but he also has a tremendous voice, and the ability to write fabulous songs. Please, please, give the man the credit that he so richly deserves.

Stranger In This Town
Stranger In This Town by Richie Sambora (Audio CD - 1994)