5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Funk, 11 Feb. 2007
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
This is the debut album from Robert Palmer and its brilliant. His successful 80's albums are not a touch on this. Don't get me wrong I like Riptide, but this is in a different league.

With members of The Meters and Little Feat backing him, this album is really tight. It would have been quite something to see these guys live. The material is a mixture of originals and two classics by the great New Orleans musician and producer Allen Toussaint. These are the title track and "From a Whisper to a Scream". Palmers vocals are as smooth as you would expect and unlike much material from the early 70's this doesn't date.

This album and Pressure Drop (Palmers 2nd I believe) are both well worth getting. Robert Palmer changed styles throughout his career but never matched these two early classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen Palmer, 29 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
The late Robert Palmer as a solo artist is surely the Orson Welles of blue-eyed soul/funk. He started his solo career with this album and although there were isolated highspots on subsequent albums I don't think he ever attained such heights again. I'm sure he appreciated the fame and wealth that "Addicted To Love" et al brought him, but musically this is his finest achievement.

From the opening 'medley' of Sailing Shoes/Hey Julia/Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley" to the occasional Dr John type weirdness of closer "Through It All There's You" the album is consistently fine, with the playing of various members of Little Feat and The Meters giving it a funky, soulful authenticity. There are times when you can understand why Palmer was being seriously considered as Lowell George's replacement as Little Feat vocalist.

I bought this on vinyl when I was about 15. It was one of those happy accidents where you buy a record on instinct and it turns out to be one that you enjoy for the rest of your life.

I'm so glad I've finally managed to find it on CD. My only gripes are that there are no expanded sleevenotes detailing exactly who played what and where, and that there isn't an expanded version available as I'm sure the sessions must have produced much more memorable music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early work discovered! And JOY!, 4 Jan. 2011
DENNIS WHITLOCK (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
I came late to Robert Palmer's music, even though I was around and listening to all sorts before he ever appeared on the scene. I came late: around 'Looking For Clues', and liked it, though was not bowled over by it (it was a time when you could buy pirate cassettes at London Bridge station for a couple of ££s, a cheap way of reviewing records that were of interest!).

I clearly remember my local record dealer talking of his liking for RP's early stuff, rather than the 'electronic' music of 'Clues' and other records of then and later.

I didn't take a lot of notice and ignored his musings.

And now? Directly because of the reviews I have been able to read on the Amazon site, I have bought and now listened to both this CD and 'Pressure Drop', and am SO happy to have discovered some true gems of blue-eyed soulful funk in these two CDs. It's GREAT music! And I know they will be included amongst my favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackest Palmer, 25 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
If ever a white non-us-resident artist can be called a true funkster, than it's robert palmer with his debut-album. Unfortunately the album didn't quite succeed, but nonetheless this was a great effort of pickin' up black music and using it for white pop sounds. Of course the rhythm section - contributed by members of the meters and little feat - provided solid ground for palmer to prove his ability to sing in a true new orleans-funk manner, but what this album at least proves: he'd never been as good as that again. Buy it, listen to it, groove to it, make love to it - but whatever you're gonna do, remember: it sure is funky!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 29 Mar. 2009
Mr. J. N. Slater "John.Perc" (Manchester, England.) - See all my reviews
Probably Robert Palmer's finest album since leaving Vinegar Joe and Elkie behind. Little Feat drums and bass. Powerful and funky. Lowell George also wrote a couple of tracks on here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Palmer at his best!, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl when it was first released, and whilst I subsequently purchased many more Robert Palmer records this was always my favourite. The album features the classic line-up of Little Feat on some tracks and the Meters on others. Singing with these musicians brought out the best in the late-great Robert Palmer, and this recording is an absolute gem - I had to own it on CD. This is blue eyed soul at its best, and if you are a fan of that New Orleans feel (yes I know that Little Feat came from LA), excellent song choice and Robert Palmer at his peak, then buy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars West midlands in swamp country, 1 Feb. 2006
B. Mills "shinytinhead" (bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
Lowell George, The Meters and Robert Palmer in the bath tub,you know it makes sense. You don't want it to stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 12 Aug. 2013
Robert Palmer was way ahead of his time - what a great sound. I loved it then and I adore it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably his best album, 28 April 2013
Great album sounds like Little Feat in places but then it does feature Lowell George on guitar so no surprises there

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Loved This, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley (Audio CD)
Used to have this as a tape years ago, and was glad to be able to find it on Amazon. It's fantastic to hear both Robert Palmer but also the Little Feat sound that is so distinctive. A great collaboration and one for both Robert Palmer and Little Feat fans.

Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley
Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley by Robert Palmer (Audio CD - 1993)