5.0 out of 5 stars No drop in quality here, 7 Aug 2006
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
I love this album and never get tired of listening to it. Had it on cassette for years, and last year got it on CD. As the previous reviewer correctly pointed out this is an eclectic collection but I think there is a common thread running through the songs even though there are various styles used.

I don't know whether this soul or funk or rock and frankly I don't care. Its bloody good music. Robert Palmers vocals are as always that wonderful blue-eyed soul that so perfectly fitted this early part of his career.

Little Feat are heavily involved and the influence of groups like The Meters can still be heard in the grooves that are laid down.

I don't think theres a duff track on the album. Favourites well if I had to pick two it would be 'Fine Time' and 'Back In My Arms' which which sort of sums up the album for me, but on another day I'd probably pick two others!

If you like your music with a heavy dose of funk/soul and a sprinkling of Reggae this is an essential album to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as "Sneakin Sally", 13 Nov 2009
N. Burgess - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
This album does not quite match the superb "Sneakin Sally Through The Alley" but is certainly his next best recording and is much better than any later stuff. I still remember hearing "Give Me An Inch Girl" on Radio 1 after its this album's release in about 1976 and it was this that first made me aware of Robert Palmer. "Which Of Us Is The Fool" and "Back In My Arms" are also great songs. I recently heard Stuart Maconie and Mark Ratcliffe talking about the best blue-eyed soul singers of all time on their Radio 2 show and could not believe it when Robert Palmer was not mentioned !

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best., 24 Jun 2009
John Dodds (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
This seems to be the album that faded right from sight. Pity, as I rate it one of his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
Various reviews have stated that this isnt a patch on 'Sneakin Sally through the alley' but I'm the other way around. Would highly recommend to all Palmer fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't Robert Palmer great?, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
This has to be the best soul/funk album made by a white man. Robert may have gone a bit mainstream and noisy in the 80's but god weren't Sally and Pressure Drop amazing...I'll never forget Fine Time at top volume while speeding over rutted track on wine run while on holiday in Gozo in 86

5.0 out of 5 stars pressure perfect, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
I bought the original LP some years ago. I still have it but no medium to play it. So I've missed his music. Getting this is a wonderful blast from the past evoking many memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to listen to but worth the effort, 14 Dec 2002
This review is from: Pressure Drop (Audio CD)
Not his best effort (that title would have to go to either "Secrets" or "Pride") but still a great album.
His reputation for unusual rhythms and eclecticism was founded on albums such as this, at his smoothest on tracks such as "Back in my arms" and "Here with you Tonight", pure slow funk on Riverboat and Reggae cropping up on the title track. As ever his eclectic tastes can sometimes result in patchy work but when it results in tracks like "Work to make it Work" I won't complain. His clever lyrics once again stand out from the crowd of pop music minnows.
Indispensible listening for Palmer fans but a little demanding for those in search of an album where all the songs sound alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug 2014
A classic album!

Pressure Drop
Pressure Drop by Robert Palmer (Audio CD - 2008)