4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, shame about the remaster
This is my favourite 10CC album, full of catchy, witty and rather disturbing songs. "Don't Hang Up" is particularly moving as is the better known "I'm Mandy, Fly Me". The album version of "Art For Art's Sake" is longer than the single edit and all the better for it.

Published on 13 Aug 2007 by Paul Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars "When the Vol-au-Vents Exploded ..."
This is a review of the digitally remastered CD. Unlike that for `The Original Soundtrack', the sleevenotes for `How Dare You!' do not come with a commentary by any original members of the group.

What was said in my review of `The Original Soundtrack' can apply for this album too. Being born in 1965, I was only eleven when this album was originally released...
Published on 21 Mar 2012 by Nicholas Casley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, shame about the remaster, 13 Aug 2007
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)

Unfortunatly the remastering on this reissue is poor with a distinct lack of presence and top end, especially on the drums. All the 10cc reissues prepared by this mastering engineer (Roger Wake) seem to have problems, possibly because they were produced from analogue stereo dubs rather than the original multitrack tapes.

Much of the original Hipgnosis album artwork is also absent from this reissue.

Any decent record collection should contain this album, but it may be an idea to look for a different reissue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music top notch, sound not, 21 Dec 2010
D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
There are some good reviews here which describe the music in depth, so I won't.

I absolutely agree about the sound though - very muddy and not very dynamic at all. Always was.

Compared with the three previous albums, where the original production and mastering gave a real sense of attack and excitement to the music, the music is not served well here.

I have the first cd issue, this remaster and a first press vinyl copy. The sound on the original vinyl was deeply flawed, very dull, and so will the cds be, hence only four stars overall. It sounds as it sounds and remastering alone isn't going to help much.

Added to which I have heard, but don't know, that allegedly Eric Stewart won't release the original tapes and, if correct, this has only compounded matters. I just enjoy the album as it is for the top quality of the music and craftsmanship of the players who put it together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still smarter than the average bear, 19 Sep 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This was one of the earliest albums I bought, though I already had their previous effort on cassette. It was about a year after its original release and at that time it was a state-of-the-art pop album. The ambience of some of the tracks, especially "Lazy Ways" and the opening of the unedited "Art For Arts Sake", still gives me a tingle. At times it seems to have an unusually wide soundscape.
By the time 10cc recorded this however, the music press were tiring of what they saw as an increasingly cold, smug cynicism. In other words, nobody likes a smart alec. For me however, this is just another high quality release from the classiest pop band the UK produced in the 1970s.
Occasionally, they overelaborate to irritating effect. There is just too much thrown into "I Wanna Rule The World" for instance, but the combination of melody and arrangement on "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" has an incomparable effect. You might think 10cc were too clever by half, but on this album they were even cleverer than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated classic, 28 May 2007
Paul Rance (Whaplode Drove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This is 10cc's finest album. Some tracks get in the way, like 'Head Room' and 'Iceberg', but there's some beautifully lush moments in 'Lazy Ways', 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' and 'Don't Hang Up'. Eric Stewart's guitar playing is especially notable, and the musical prowess of the group is apparent throughout.

The title track, and opener, is the sparkling instrumental, 'How Dare You', seamlessly followed by 'Lazy Ways' - a smooth song for summer. 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' is a wonderfully crafted pop song. A great pop song indeed, and somewhat underrated. 'I Wanna Rule The World' is 10cc at their most eccentric.

'Art For Arts Sake' has the most interesting lyrical content of any track on the album, and shows the band at their rocking best. 'Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby' is a charming singalong, and the final track, 'Don't Hang Up', allows Kevin Godley's wonderfully moving voice to really shine.

Irritating to very witty, lyrically, and musically - as always with 10cc, but this is no curate's egg, and, sadly, Creme & Godley's leaving the group soon after left us wondering what if...Along with Queen, 10cc were the most inventive and creative British group of the mid-'70s.

- Paul Rance/booksmusicfilmstv.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tinny lead singing a la Adolf H, 1 Jun 2012
subject2status (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This sounds somewhat dated and all a bit tinny now but it still sounds better than the 'taped' version I had on my old cassette player back in the day.

At less than three pounds, I was driven to legitimise my purchase and finally get to re-hear the lesser known and lesser played tracks that so amused fans back in the 70s...

The singles are well known - 'I'm Mandy, Fly Me' and 'Art For Arts Sake' - and the lyrics still sound as refreshingly clever as in 1976.

The tracks I longed to hear again were 'Don't Hang Up' (with then-trendy sound effects and a change-of-pace tune) and 'I Wanna Rule The World' (Lead singing a la Adolf H). Sheer genius but, like I said, a bit tinny.

We've heard about the vol-au-vents exploding elsewhere but did you hear "We had some honeymoon on itchy bedding, scum buzzing round your busy body, dumb waiters waiting sweating straining, all mass-debating my woman"

'Tis funny. 'Tis cheap. 'Tis on my iPhone.

4.0 out of 5 stars How dare you not buy this CD?, 25 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
If you're browsing the 10cc section, the chances are that you already have a reasonable idea of what you're looking for. Well, you've found it. 'How dare you?' stands up against the very best that 10cc has to offer. With only the occasional lapse in concentration, the band present us with another classic body of work. With enough hooks to snare the harshest critic, it's all aboard for a ride through pop standards, lavish production numbers, tight harmonies, and technically adept guitaring. 'Art for art's sake', 'Lazy ways', 'Rock and roll lullaby', and 'Don't hang up' stand up to the test of time particularly well, but if that's not enough for you then 'I'm Mandy fly me' should do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my original copy, 26 May 2012
Amazon Customer (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I bought this album when I was a teenager working Saturday's in Boots (we used to call them Gramophones in those days :-) ). I loved the album then and, although times have changed, I still think it is one of the defining albums of the decade and I am now enjoying hearing it all over again without the crackles and hiss.

If you liked it once, now might be time to replace your old "gramophone"...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I was not sure at first if this actually was a CD as the price seemed so good.
On re-reading, sure enough it was a CD. It arrived the very next day which, given
this was all about a trip down memory lane, was fantastic as I could hardly wait
to hear it again. And it didn't disappoint. I was immediately transported back
twenty five years (yes it was several years old even then on the old eight track)
only the quality of sound was better.

The songs transcend time and remain clever, musical and poignant.

I am very pleased with my purchase and would have no hesitation buying from this seller
in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh ? I also cried, 20 Aug 2005
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I remember being an ardent 10cc fan way back in the 70's. I have recently acquired 'Don't Hang Up' on CD and all the reasons for admiring this gang of four came flooding back. The final album produced by the original four, peaks with clever lyrics, some very innovative arrangements and the musical genius use of the 'Gizmo', to produce guitar sounds you will not hear anywhere else. (Later albums by Godley and Creme excepted). The wit of these four musicians will always bring a smile to your face, their ability to write about sensative subjects and the breadth of their combined knowledge of life situations makes this still a must have album(oops sorry) CD in your collection. Plus it has my all time favourite 'I'm Mandy'(and that wonderful sample from 'Clockwork Creep' as the intro), possibly the cleverest mix of word and music ever to make it into the singles chart. Now I'm off to the car to play the CD at full volume again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just can't wait..., 18 Mar 2002
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl when it first came out but sadly, with the passage of time and many playings, it wore out. A friend gave me her copy but by then I no longer had a record player.
I am delighted to find I can now get this on CD and I cannot wait to reacquaint myself with this masterful album. With it's highly polished production, quirky lyrics and off the wall storylines it cannot fail to please - have you ever tried to explain I'm Mandy Fly Me in a few words ? Boy sees poster with Air Hostess, Boy gets on flight, Plane crashes into sea, Boy nearly gets eaten by sharks, Air Hostess rescues him by walking on water, Air Hostess is then herself (presumably) eaten by shark, Boy then finds himself back in front of poster contemplating life the universe and everything...or howabout the heartbreaking story behind 'Don't Hang Up', or the amazing and over the top 'Headroom' about - well you'll have to buy it, but some of it goes 'Give me some headroom, just a little bit of legroom, I need a ballroom, up against the wall room, I need the rest oh Lord I need a rest'!
It also has some of my favourite lyrics, for example in Rock and Roll Lullably you get -
'It's daybreak in the land of nod, so get to sleep you little sod'... Probably my all time number one but there are loads.
And finally a fact for all you sad persons out there like me - the bit at the beginning of I'm Mandy Fly Me - you know 'Ohhhhhh no you'll never get me up in one of these again, cos' what comes upppppppp, must come, down down down down down'
comes from another of their songs on Sheet Music (available on the double CD Two from 10CC) called Clockwork Creep about how a time bomb on a jumbo jet feels. Bizarre, but fantastic !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How Dare You
How Dare You by 10cc (Audio CD - 1990)