5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and Thoughtful...somewhat smoochy Sur La Mer
Published on 18 May 2004 by Joan-Violet

3.0 out of 5 stars but not as good as their old
OK, but not as good as their old stuff
Published 8 months ago by Gary S.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and Thoughtful...somewhat smoochy Sur La Mer, 18 May 2004
Joan-Violet "Jo" (Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
My thoughts always go back to Deep with this album...as you listen to this track you do go deep, it is a musical trip of pure relaxing moments, the best of its kind and at the end of the album it fits with a lovely feeling of pure relaxation after listening to the Album... Thanks Justin a good one....Vintage Wine also a good Justin Hayward no.with a nostalgic flavour, with pleasant lyrics..No More Lies, a guilt trip, makes you think, and the River Of Endless Love a joint effort in song writing for John & Justin a flowing smoochy number. Love is on the run is one of John's best songs, smoochy and lively it say's alot....Want to be With You..I Know You're Out There Somewhere seems to link a theme and it is good... a well put together Album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good, 10 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
'...songs of the light and laid-back variety' - I don't think so! This is a bloody good Moodies album with every track having something to offer. Drink a large glass of red wine, put on 'Deep' and turn up the volume - brilliant!... Buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for years, 15 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
After their hiatus in the 80s, the Moodies delivered again with Sur La Mer. Pin sharp production and the wonderful talent of Justin Hayward make SLM their best album since their 1960-70s raging successes. Deep is haunting, Vintage Wine a delight (more so if you're a child of the era) and I Know You're Out There Somewhere generates wistful memories of lost young love. No More Lies gets to those of us with a guilty secret.

One or two tracks jar a little, being a tad out of the Moodies' norm though some will say they demonstrate versatility (sorry, I'm just a 'standard' Moodies fan who knows what he likes). Go on, buy it, you know you want to...

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Later Moodies, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
Having loved all of their first eight albums I lost touch with the Moodies after Octave. The solo albums from Justin Hayward and John Lodge kept me interested and I also loved the Blue Jays album but the later stuff always seemed a bit too bland, with one or two great (mainly Hayward-penned) songs and a lot of filler. Having taken the risk of buying Sur La Mer on the basis of others reviews and a bit of You Tube spotting, I've not been disappointed. The nearest reference point for me is probably the BlueJays album as this feels like BlueJays Mark 2. All songs are Hayward and/or Lodge compositions and there is a consistency of songwriting quality here that I hadn't come across in other more recent offerings. Perfect late evening relaxation music with worldwise and reflective lyrics. I'm very glad I bought Sur La Mer and if like me you liked early/mid period Moodies but started to switch off this is probably the best later Moodies album to invest in.

5.0 out of 5 stars MOODIES FOR THE EIGHTIES, 6 Jun. 2011
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: sur la mer LP (Vinyl)
Sur La Mer is very much an album of the Eighties, which is borne out by its sound and production. It is a truly lovely album - very uplifting, light and breezy and immensely enjoyable. Many of the famous harmonies remain but the orchestration has gone, replaced by a horn section in places.

The whole album works very well, with some great songs including the glorious 'I Know You're Out There Somewhere'.

Toni Visconti produced the album, which accounts for the high calibre of production - he was a fabulous choice. The only slight disapointment is that Ray Thomas is missing from this album - his quirky little songs often provided a nice balance to the Lodge/Hayward compositions.

Nevetheless, highly recommended for all the right reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew they were out there somewhere, 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
I am getting on a bit these days but had the unexpected surprise of meeting a lady much younger than myself. On a car journey shortly after we got engaged I was playing " I know you're out there somewhere" from this album on my stereo and a sudden silence took place until it had finished. "Who is that? - It's brilliant, play it again" came the plea from my fiancee, a fan of Lady Ga Ga and all the other current stuff. I told her who it was and she instantly became a Moodies fan. I told her that I had all their albums and solo works and that I had first seen them live in Manchester in 1969 and they were about to do a UK tour in 2010. "Two tickets - book them ASAP" was her response. No need to prompt me there. We saw them at Manchester Apollo (14/09/10) and her response was that they were incredible, the best band ever. Before this remarkable gig we had been married and she arrived up the aisle to the sound of - you've guessed it - " I know you're out there somewhere" - we even signed the register with "New Horizons" in the background.
The moral of this story is that you can't replace class - it always shines through - I have grown up with the Moodies and this album was part of that journey - five star? - too right it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY ALBUM FROM THE MOODIES, 6 Jun. 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)

Nevetheless, highly recommended for all the right reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 24 Mar. 2008
V. Young "baguette-cut" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
This is a really good album with plenty of melody in typical Hayward/Lodge style. Deep is by far the best track, adding something a bit different - thanks Justin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sur la mur, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
I have been after getting this for years now. In the 80,s I heard I know you're out there somewhere and one of my all time favourite songs No more lies. I purchased that single on vinyl and played and played and played it. The album has lived up to its expectations and shows how a band like The Moodies can move with the times. An underrated album and of course fantastic vocals and arrangements. If you are a fan of 80's music and fancy something different from that era,give this a try. You wont be disappointed !

4.0 out of 5 stars A celebration of optimisim & love, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sur La Mer (Audio CD)
This album holds some real musical treasures and jewels of the heart! While occasionally, as seems a tendency with the Moody Blues, dipping into a little bit self indulgent melancholy, there is much to uplift and inspire on this album. A celebration of optimism and love, the beauty of the human spirit, loving connections, and this magical universe, with some great songs! For lovers of romance and great quality, up beat and melodic music ... this may be one for you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sur La Mer
Sur La Mer by The Moody Blues (Audio CD - 1997)