Format: Audio CDChange

on 8 March 2005
i first heard "animal" at the end of 1987 driving home from work on the A38. the radio played listlessly in the background, on through habit more than anything else. But hang on - what's this? A classic driving rock song emerges from the tinny speakers- a minute later triumphant soaring chord heralds the chorus "AND I WANT!! AND I NEED !!. I bought the album "hysteria" the next day from woolies . The melodies, the harmonies, the guitars,the personalities!!!!. This album is one of the all time rare pleasures in life, an album of music guaranteed to uplift. There is no nostalgia about this record because it has'nt dated unlike its predecessor "Pyromania" which although excellent has got 1982 written all over it.
Along with "Slippery When Wet" this album ushered in an era of heavy guitars, singalong choruses and loads of hair and spandex.
You know what? it was great.............
on 20 November 2008
"Hysteria" combines rock and pop together in perfect harmony, and is by far Def Leppard's best album to date. "Hysteria" was recorded after drummer Rick Allen's accident, and released in 1987, at a time when "stadium rock bands" like "Bon Jovi" were at the top of their career. This trend in rock that occurred during the late 1980's continues on Def Leppard's album, with tracks such as "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and "Animal". After listening to this album, you will understand why this album made such an impact on music in general, it was recorded in a "futuristic" fashion for its time, using back-masking, vocal editing and recording individual notes one at a time.
The album begins with "Women", which was released in the U.S by Def Leppard as the 1st single off the album. "Women" didn't chart well in the U.S, and lead singer Jo Elliot often condemns the song, probably due to its lack of success in America. Aside from the negativeness surrounding the song, it remains a classic song to me, emphasising the "wonder" of "Women", and is a perfect start to the album. The slower versus and the amazing chorus of this song makes it a rock song hard to match by any other band.
Next, the listener is shown Def Leppard's creativity, with "Rocket". The idea of "Rocket" came from an African tribal recording, which may seem rather odd for a rock song. Listen closely throughout, and you will be sure to pick up the beat of the tribal music straight away. "Rocket" is about Def Leppard's musical influences during their childhood, listeners who were around during the glam rock era of the 1970's will pick up the continuous references. In the middle of the song is an interlude, which sounds extremely "different" to any other Def Leppard song. It is hard to describe in a review, but includes back-masking of vocals, like "Were fighting for the god's of war" said backwards. This track will definitely leave you very interested, and probably a bit bemused.
After the sounds of "Rocket" comes the U.K number 6 hit "Animal". The song itself took two and a half years to record, due to various producers not being able to get the correct sound for the track Def Leppard wanted. It was Mutt Lange that created the right sound for the song in the end, and he does a fine job of it. The way the song is written and recorded is similar to Toto's "Africa", but with a heavy rock feel. "Africa" was also difficult for Toto to produce. The guitar solo is incredible, and the song is at this point, the best one yet.
The tempo of "Animal" is then reduced down during "Love Bites". "Love Bites" is a classic rock ballad, much like "Hysteria" (Track 10). This track will appeal to all listeners, not just rock listeners, and this is a concept that lies on other tracks like "Animal", "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and "Hysteria". This general appeal was Mutt Lange's idea towards creating a rock version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" is by far the best track on the album, and although may have an odd title, the song isn't about cocaine, as many fans often speculate. Jo Elliot describes the song title as a reference to "any sexual act you wish". The song was only recorded onto the album in two weeks, towards the end of the recording of the album. The record company wanted to release the album soon, but Mutt Lange felt that it needed another song to give it some edge, and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was that song. It broke through in America through extensive radio play. The song had a big appeal to strippers in the U.S, because of the tempo of the vocals and guitar solo. God help us if Jo Elliot didn't pick up that guitar lying around in the recording studio and played the riff to Mutt Lange (who accidently overheard), Def Leppard's signature song wouldn't have been born. The result is a perfect rock song, incorporating excellent vocals and a cracking melody, which by this point will have any listener loving Def Leppard, well it certainly did me.
The next song on the album is the polished to perfection "Armageddon It". Let's face it, no male singer can quite reach the height of the vocal tone towards the end of the song, which brings me back to the "futuristic" recording style the album used. I think the song sounds like a professional rock song, it is clear a lot of effort was made to produce the song. "Armageddon It" is a play on the phrase "Im getting it". It fits nicely after the rawness of "Pour Some Sugar on Me".
The tone of the album changes after "Armageddon It", as the next song, "Gods of War" is much darker. Not that I'm saying Def Leppard go all Slayer at this point, far from it in-fact. "Gods of War" is about politics, as is evident with lines such as "what the hell we fighting for", referring to the nuclear war threat going on at the time of the Cold War. Ok, that may sound dated, but, the song was politically correct at the time.
"Don't Shoot Shotgun", "Run Riot" and "Excitable" are good tracks as well. These songs weren't released as singles, and remain album tracks. "Don't Shoot Shotgun" and "Run Riot" were performed live during Def Leppard's huge tour in 1988. The melody in "Don't Shoot Shotgun" during and in the break is very catchy, making this one of my favourite songs from the album. "Excitable" is a rock-disco collaboration, meaning it is possible to dance to the song. The song itself however is a little bit silly, and this is why I would say it is the weakest track from the album.
"Hysteria" is a beautiful ballad, and is possibly the strongest track on the album, other than "Pour Some Sugar on Me". It was released as a single along with the 1st six tracks.
The last song on the album is "Love and Affection". It is another ballad, but probably the weaker of the other ones on there. It is still a good song, that will appeal to all audiences, not just rock fans, and is a good finish to the album.
on 20 October 2015
In April 1989, this reviewer was on a school trip and borrowed a friends Walkman and played the cassette tape within. After 10 seconds I sat up from my bunk bed and could not believe what I was hearing. I was a fan of Michael Jackson and Tears For Fears. I liked Bon Jovi’s Livin’ On A Prayer and Van Halen’s Jump. But in terms of hard rock bands, my knowledge was limited.

10 seconds of ‘Women’ and I could not comprehend what I was hearing. Even through crappy headphones on a Walkman, this sound was huge……………………..and so it remains. That day I managed to get through Women, Rocket and Animal before I was required elsewhere but I made a mental note of the band’s name, the iconic looking font….DEF LEPPARD. How could I forget the image on the front of the cassette case. What was it? I’m still not sure. I vowed that when I got home, I would seek this out.

Cut to three days later and I am in Woolworths holding before me a vinyl album with those same words. I was now the owner of Def Leppard’s Hysteria album. This was the best thing I had ever heard. 26 years later and it’s still the best thing I have ever heard.

I’m not going to discuss the sonics, the songs, the harmonies, the multi-layered guitars. I’m not going to discuss Rick Allens tragic accident because whilst extremely sad, the very need for synthesised drums helped the album sound the way it does. It doesn’t matter that the album was made several times over then scrapped and started all over again. Whilst many things helped and hindered the creation of this album, nothing can do it justice more than how I came to love it.

Get it. Sit down. Stick some headphones on. Play it Loud.

It will be the best thing you have ever heard.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 February 2013
'Hysteria' is my favourite Def Leppard album by far, released in 1987, it is in many ways the typical hard rock album of the decade but has nevertheless aged very well. It catapulted these men from Sheffield, for the very first time, to the top of the American album charts, as well as in Britain, Australia, Canada, Norway and New Zealand.

There are so many classic songs on this record, the band's forth, that the first half of the track listing might look to the causal listener to be that of a greatest hits album. The rocking 'Animal', moving power-ballad 'Love Bites', majestic 'Pour Some Sugar On Me', and the title track are all here. The remaining songs, though not quite as good, are all virtually worthy of special mention in a review.

I agree with many of the other reviewers on this Amazon already who have said that this is one of the best albums to come from the 1980s, it's certainly the best Def Leppard record to date, and an essential addition to every classic rock music fan's CD collection.

Highly recommended!
on 19 July 2013
Def Leppard along with producer 'Mutt' Lange set out to create the perfect pop/rock album and absolutely nailed it with Hysteria.
If you're not really sure what all the fuss is about when it comes to Def Leppard, and wonder why they still sell out arenas all over the world, this collection of songs is the best place to start.
'Pour Some Sugar On Me' and 'Animal' were huge hit singles on both sides of the Atlantic and sent Hysteria to the top of the charts. The big ballad 'Love Bites' gave the band their first number 1 single in the UK and 'Armageddon It', 'Hysteria' and 'Rocket' soon followed it into the Top 10.
This album proved that a hard rock band could be hugely successful, selling millions of records whilst staying true to their roots.
The production on these songs is of sheer genius, still sounding as fresh today as it did in 1987 (a rare feat for 80's music).
Hysteria has often been imitated but never bettered and is one of only four albums I consider worthy of 'Timeless Classic' status (the others being 'Highway To Hell','Metallica' and 'Appetite For Destruction').
If you don't already own this album, your music collection is incomplete!
on 25 February 2010
There really isn't too much to say, the music does it all. Let me explain, anyway.
I first purchased this cd back in '88 as a spotty teenager, looking for the next thrill. I got it. I was blown away by pretty much the whole album. Stand out tracks for me then, and indeed still, are Gods Of War, Hysteria, Animal, Love & Affection and Armageddon It, not to mention P.S.S.O.M.
This was the last album to feature the late, great Steve 'Steamin'' Clark on guitar, before his untimely death. But, what a legacy to leave for others to enjoy.
The music has been critisized for being too polished, but the boys have prooved time & time again that they can perform these songs live to a T. The melodical qualities of the songs are fantastic and lend themselves perfectly to the art of the foot-tapping.
I can only recommend this album wholeheartedly, knowing i'm not failing or helping anyone to waste precious hourly wage. Buy and be happy. Sounds great in the car, living room, local pub, kitchen, headphones, even while you're sitting on the porcelain throne!
You won't be disappointed.

Phil, Danmark.
on 23 August 2002
WHen you mention Def Leppard, most people think they are a heavy U.S band. Wrong on both counts. Infact Sheffield's finest truly surpassed themseleves on this album, and many would consider it as one of the finest rock albums of all time (consistently coming in top 10, 20's etc). Animal is probably the best track since its appeals to such a wide spectrum of listeners with its catchy lyrics and riff lines - true poprock.Other highlights are (for me) Hysteria and Gods of War. At no point does this album get too heavy or even repetative. Its in a simliar vein to Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet (the other great pop rock album of the time)with catchy tunes you'll keep singing in your head for days. I have been listening to this album almost continuosly for over 13 years - now, that can't be bad can it?
on 29 March 2015
I think that this is the best album ever produced by Def Leppard.
on 2 November 2009
One hell of a great Rock Classic British/Us Band of my time. Please forgive me I just can't help but sit back, feet up and smile when I put this Master piece CD in my ghetto blaster with the volume up full. I loved the Bon-Jovi, U2, Journey, Dare, Ronald Rat ect ect era and very much still do, and legend has it that many of these bands where influanced by Def Leepard, my personal opinion that this is in my top five best "album that I own collection" and it rarely gets missed out every two weeks when it's music time. I have owned this album for over 15 years and it's as good now as it was then, I never get tired of it, I can't say I love every song in this album, two or three songs kinda kills it for me not the album tho' but only one Album so far and is The Joshua Tree - U2, however out of 100 I rate it at 90 which is good folks trust me. This album will grip you by the throat and hold you there for some time simply for it's melody, crisp sounding guitar riffs and some great coruses that will help you chill out or freak out, whether you're in the home, office or in the car it will have you tapping something thats attached to your body foot, hand's, fingers or your head but you will not be alone!. Their best album by a clear mile I dont think you will be disappointed, if you are there's always Gun........ I Sit back, feet up fag in one hand, coffe in the other and enjoy the memories all flooding back with the best of british playing in the background.

Just Bluddy Buy it
on 3 September 2015
I only discovered this album recently and I've been listening to it most days when I'm driving or working out. There isn't much to add to the other 5 star reviews. It falls into the loud driving rock category rather than the 'thoughtful lyric gentle melody' category, but it's good fun and lifts the spirits after a hard day at work. Some of the lyrics are a little shallow, but you don't really listen to this kind of music for the lyrics - well, I don't anyway. Good, strong rock music. If you haven't heard Def Leppard before it's a good place to start and, as other reviewers have noted, it hasn't really dated.