5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff
Published on 8 Mar 2005 by mr s d biffin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!
Considering its age, the quality of the cd and packaging was grand. Worth the money and I will buy secondhand again.
Published 6 months ago by Jo H

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff, 8 Mar 2005
mr s d biffin (alcester, warks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
i first heard "animal" at the end of 1987 driving home from work on the A38. the radio played listlessly in the background, on through habit more than anything else. But hang on - what's this? A classic driving rock song emerges from the tinny speakers- a minute later triumphant soaring chord heralds the chorus "AND I WANT!! AND I NEED !!. I bought the album "hysteria" the next day from woolies . The melodies, the harmonies, the guitars,the personalities!!!!. This album is one of the all time rare pleasures in life, an album of music guaranteed to uplift. There is no nostalgia about this record because it has'nt dated unlike its predecessor "Pyromania" which although excellent has got 1982 written all over it.
Along with "Slippery When Wet" this album ushered in an era of heavy guitars, singalong choruses and loads of hair and spandex.
You know what? it was great.............

5.0 out of 5 stars Cut glass metal, 4 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Although not the best album ever, this is very close. From opener "Women" with its anthemic chorus, through "Animal" and "Gods of War" ith their, er, anthemic choruses, this is damn near perfect. I just wish "Love and Affection" hadn't made it onto the CD, as it wasn't on the vinyl album; I just don't think it's as good as the rest of the album. But buy it anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest rock albums of all time, 23 Aug 2002
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
WHen you mention Def Leppard, most people think they are a heavy U.S band. Wrong on both counts. Infact Sheffield's finest truly surpassed themseleves on this album, and many would consider it as one of the finest rock albums of all time (consistently coming in top 10, 20's etc). Animal is probably the best track since its appeals to such a wide spectrum of listeners with its catchy lyrics and riff lines - true poprock.Other highlights are (for me) Hysteria and Gods of War. At no point does this album get too heavy or even repetative. Its in a simliar vein to Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet (the other great pop rock album of the time)with catchy tunes you'll keep singing in your head for days. I have been listening to this album almost continuosly for over 13 years - now, that can't be bad can it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, 30 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Hysteria was the first rock album I purchased after hearing Animal. I wasn't disappointed! Gods of War is also a big favourite - much heavier than the rest of the songs. If you are going to start a Leppard collection - pick this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Hysterical about Hysteria, 9 Feb 2003
J. Maher (Rochdale , Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Def Leppard's finest work and one of the greatest rock albums of all time. I have had the album since it's release in 1987 and I still play it and never grow tired of it. It's to Def Leppard's credit that they made this album.
It's an album that nearly was never made Rick Allen the drummer lost an arm in a car accident after the success of Pyromania, disagrements with producers, scrapping songs plus other mishaps but when all seem lost enter their white knight Robert John "Mutt" Lange who helped put the band's confidence back together, contributed to the songwriting and produced what can be best described as the most polished clinically clear rock album that has ever been made.
The songs are just wonderfully catchy from the opening bars of Women to the heart churning Love and Affection. This album produced 6 hit singles in the UK now that is highly unusual from a Rock album and 7 hit singles in the band's spiritual home the USA even though they orginally from Shefield UK.
The album hit no1 on both sides of the Atlantic. So many classic tunes on the album you will be listening to them for years. The clever sexual inuendo lyrics of Animal, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Armageddon It! But the best track and probably the greatest song they've writtten is the clever 'Gods Of War' a damming indicment back in the late 80's of Reagan and Thatcher's lust for conflict with Libiya.
Now the song's clever lyrics and addition of Reagan and Thatcher's voices add gravitas to the track. Now you could quite easily substitute both for Dubya and Blair Iraq for Libiya.
Just lie back close your eyes and enjoy this superb piece of Rock masterclass.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 3 Feb 2013
ReviewBlog51 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
'Hysteria' is my favourite Def Leppard album by far, released in 1987, it is in many ways a typical hard rock album of the decade but has nevertheless aged very well.

There are so many classic songs on this CD that the first half of the track listing might look to the causal listener to be that of a greatest hits album. 'Animal', 'Love Bites', 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' and the title track are all here and the rest of the songs are all virtually worthy of a mention.

I agree with many of the other reviewers who say that this is one of the best albums to come from the 1980s, it's certainly the best Def Leppard record and an essential addition to every classic rock collection.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah!, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
Copy no four, it keeps getting nicked. It is still the same spine tingling sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 10 stars!!!, 25 Aug 2010
Andrei Aciobanitei "Andrei" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
This is the number one album in my life. It is amazing how these guys managed to write so many good songs. The album is again produced by Mutt Lange and he got the best out of the Leppards. The sound is like you have never heard on any album in the history of rock. My favourite in the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quote "memory is an organism's mental ability to store, retain, and recall information", 2 Nov 2009
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
One hell of a great Rock Classic British/Us Band of my time. Please forgive me I just can't help but sit back, feet up and smile when I put this Master piece CD in my ghetto blaster with the volume up full. I loved the Bon-Jovi, U2, Journey, Dare, Ronald Rat ect ect era and very much still do, and legend has it that many of these bands where influanced by Def Leepard, my personal opinion that this is in my top five best "album that I own collection" and it rarely gets missed out every two weeks when it's music time. I have owned this album for over 15 years and it's as good now as it was then, I never get tired of it, I can't say I love every song in this album, two or three songs kinda kills it for me not the album tho' but only one Album so far and is The Joshua Tree - U2, however out of 100 I rate it at 90 which is good folks trust me. This album will grip you by the throat and hold you there for some time simply for it's melody, crisp sounding guitar riffs and some great coruses that will help you chill out or freak out, whether you're in the home, office or in the car it will have you tapping something thats attached to your body foot, hand's, fingers or your head but you will not be alone!. Their best album by a clear mile I dont think you will be disappointed, if you are there's always Gun........ I Sit back, feet up fag in one hand, coffe in the other and enjoy the memories all flooding back with the best of british playing in the background.

Just Bluddy Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't regret watching Coyote Ugly, 12 Sep 2007
Mr. A. W. Lamb (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
It was a tuesday night and my housemates and I couldn't decide what to watch on TV, either Coyote Ugly or The Rock, ultimatley it came down to a flip of the coin and we chose the former. In between the female feelgood factor and soppy sotryline was a song that seemed to play through most of the dancing scenes. I asked my friends what it was and they responded "Pour Some Sugar on Me, by Def Leppard". I was intrigued, it was catchy and mostly important ROCKING!.
For a fortnight I struggled to get the tune out of my head, so finnaly I bought Hysteria, you will not be dissapointed if you. This album is probably the bands finest work with almost every track being catchy and memorable. If you enjoy the soft rock of Boston and Journey or the Glam Metal of Poison and Warrant then this album is perfect for your tastes, and even if you dont you will no doubt find it pleasing. If worse comes to worse you can be assured that if you stick it on at a party you will have everyone singing by track 5.

Hysteria
Hysteria by Def Leppard (Audio CD - 1999)