Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 September 2000
Really enjoyable, well produced cd, featuring Marc Almond duetting with Jimmy in "I Feel Love" and the amazing combination of Jimmy & Sara Jane Morris in "Don't Leave Me This Way". Also June Miles Kingston in "Comment Te Dire Adieu". Brings back the wonderful, happy, fun-feeling of the 80's, was it really that long ago? Added bonus - the lyrics are all in the sleeve, so there is no excuse, we can all dance and sing along, warn the neighbours, it will be loud, if only I could reach those notes! Long live the 80's.
on 3 March 2005
There's no doubting the impact that Jimmy Somerville and his various bands had on the sounds and perhaps even the attitudes of the 80's.
In his un-imitative voice the pint-sized Scottish singer charmed and wowed the music buying public from the moment he burst onto the scene with Bronski Beat. He was later to form the Communards then went onto a solo career before slipping from mainstream public view although he is still making records.
This album features 17 of Jimmy's hits from all stages of his vocation and is an excellent reminder of the sounds and feelings of those times and the album is a great way to take a trip down memory lane.
NOTE: There is also another Jimmy Somerville greatest hits package available, called "The Very best of Jimmy Somerville" and contains exactly the same playlist as this album apart from one song, where "Run from Love" is replaced by "Hurt so Good".
on 12 April 2005
I bought this album on Marketplace because it was going cheap and I loved Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat... little did I know that it was one of the best albums I've ever had.
Jam packed with dance floor anthems and political chansons, Jimmy's single collection is a must have. Reading the back of the box and the song list, I must admit that many of the titles weren't immediately familiar but after one session with the CD I realised that I knew every tune. Each one of them is fantastic, whether it be the uplifing YOU ARE MY WORLD, the thought provoking AIN'T NECESSARILY SO or camp classic COMMENT TE DIRE A'DIEU. This album won't disappoint.
I just want to know where Jimmy is now and why he's not still charting - he could just re-release some of the singles on this CD and whop the asses off most chart bands now. My advice is BUY IT!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 14 April 2013
I'm probably biased because these songs accompanied my early twenties, but to listen to them now at high volume is still to feel that same power, the elation of love and desire, and the political commitment to greater fairness and a better society. Jimmy's voice is thrilling, and the sounds that have been created around him offset him perfectly, whether in the dance numbers like Never Can Say Goodbye, or the sadness of For A Friend. At other times - So Cold The Night or Comment Te Dire Adieu - there is wonderful sense of camp, but the overriding feeling is one of love, and of gay love in particular getting a voice in pop at last ... My only quibble is that C Minor is not on here, but as a compilation it's about as good as you can get.
on 11 August 2013
i love the CD but the service from Amazon is terrible. when i was placing the order on line it said that delivery was 3 to 5 days and the item was in stock but as soon as i confirmed the order it changed to delivery being about the 10th August which was some 3 weeks later. This is not the first time this has happened when i have ordered something from Amazon, it is missleading and you are making customers buy things under false pretences. Maybe this is what you feel you have to do to get sales but it is wrong and unfair
on 14 September 2015
I was going to buy the newer and more expensive 'Very Best Of Jimmy Somerville' until seeing the larger price gap and more importantly track listing which is nearly identical. In buying this version it saves you a tenner or so (present date), leaving the other for collectors of Jimmys Discography and his core fan base. This album exudes class and uplifts your mood with fast 80's beats (don't leave me this way, never can say goodbye, and all his big hits with Bronski Beat, the Communards all the way though his solo career (comment te dire adieu and read my lips.) A defining artist who sung on live aid and with that instantly recognisable high voice of his); Jimmy still Sounds excellent on today's laptops, and also as an MP3 file with crisp highs, a powerful fast bass rhythm and beats, genre leading vocals, and on a powerful set of quality headphones or in the car this gets turned right up, takes me back to a decade I grew up in which shaped my music tastes forever. 10/10
to an artist with a superb voice
on 9 March 2009
All his best tracks on one cheap album.No Matter what you think of Jimmy Somerville.His voice was original and fitted in with the 80's.Even in 2009 I will have to keep this great album from friends,as people still get the wronge idea.It's one to own but don't tell anyone.
on 9 June 2015
How can you not give Jimmy a five? I am not his greatest fan but bought this for my bird! Having listened to this it goes without saying Jimmy is unique, his voice and persona like no other. In a world where talent is ignored by the media and crap T.V., people should listen to this too get prospective on talent. Maybe then a dog would not win Britons Got Talent!!!!
on 15 October 2011
I always loved Jimmy's music in the 80's and replaced my greatest hits collection with this one and it did not dissapoint. Fantastic, original hits and I danced all week long.

Some extra great songs on there too which I hadn't heard before so well pleased with this purchase.
on 7 May 2012
An album I owned on tape many years ago and after hearing a song on raio decided to order on CD. Fabulous songs, as great as I remember and arrived really quickly, many thanks.