5.0 out of 5 stars Rush Raw!
Published on 9 April 2001 by whba19882@cableinet.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the Rush collector
This is their first of what is now eight live CDs / DVDs, thats right eight alot of groups nowadays don't even do eight studio albums before they call it a day and retire. (so much for the fans that made it possible for them to do this) Out of all eight live albums this is the poorest in quality so I would only recommend this to the devoted Rush fan. It is not the songs...
Published on 12 April 2010 by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rush Raw!, 9 April 2001
Rush's first live album represents the end of chapter 1 of their career. This album is a sort of "best of" from their first 4 studio albums which charts their progress from the "Led Zeppellin Junior" style of "Rush" to the sci-fi prog rock classic that is "2112". Rush are only a 3 piece band, however, they manage to fill the soundscape with a heavy rock sound which is both intricate and melodic without resorting to heavy metal cliches. It is arguably their best live album as there is little or no post - production work leaving you with a real Rush live experience - (over production of live albums Exit... Stage Left and A Show of Hands is irritating). 1998's 3 cd live album Different Stages runs this album a very close second as best live Rush album in my opinion...
My personal faves on here are 2112, Something for Nothing, Lakeside Park and By Tor and the Snowdog including an Alex Lifeson prog-rock interlude - rocktastic!.
ATWAS also gives us the first edition of a Neil Peart drum solo - a mainstay of Rush concerts. Listen to how it evolves and gets longer over the other 3 live albums!
Listen to RUSH!

4.0 out of 5 stars The first of many!, 21 July 2004
This review is from: All the World's a Stage (Audio CD)
It's hard to keep track of the number of live albums that Rush have released. This was the first, and came between the early heavier rush and the more synthesizer influenced middle part of their career.
The most noticeable thing about this album is that Geddy Lee plays bass and...nothing else! This is a guitar/bass/drums set up that shows them at their hard-rocking best. The only issue I have with it is that the sound quality isn't too great, and in particular the bass guitar is very low in the mix.
The songs are some of the best from their early career (spanning 4 studio albums), and there are great versions of the tracks from 'Rush' here, including a great version of 'Working Man'. They seem to have concentrated on reproducing the studio versions of the tracks, and have done an admirable job!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Start of a Beautiful Friendship!, 2 Dec. 2010
Mr. R. Powell (Wales) - See all my reviews
This is where the world of Rush all started for me. It was 1979 and I was a teenager into Zeppelin, Purple etc when a couple of lads I knew suggested I check out Rush. I was (and still am) a sucker for live albums and so off I went to Penny Lane Records in Chester to see if there was such a thing as a live Rush album. There sure was and this was it. Home I went and put it on the turntable.

As always with the best albums I wasn't too sure at first but after a few more listens I was hooked. This is a really good example of classic Rush while they were still a straight ahead rock band. Geddy Lee still in his Robert Plant pomp, Alex Lifeson peeling off those classic riffs and Neil Peart showing just what a good drum solo should be. Add to that many of their best songs from this era incuding Working Man and most of 2112 and you have what is for me their best live album. About 5 years ago Classic Rock magazine listed the 50 greatest live albums. Exit...Stage Left came above this one. They got it wrong. The sound on this album is far more raw and sounds like a live album should, whereas Exit is too polished and the mix all wrong.

After this I was hooked for a good few years. Within 6 months I was at Bingley Hall Stafford watching in awe as they showed what an incredible live act they were. Unfortunately 5 years later the keyboards outweighed the guitars and I lost interest, at least until the R30 tour.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Rush Live Album, 16 Sept. 2010
Craig Savage - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my old worn out vinyl version,which I bought just over 30yrs ago.This was the first Rush album I bought and is still my favourite of all the other live products since released.
It is not as polished as the others but comes from my favourite era of the band,1976 up to 1979 Hemishpheres,when I got to see them for the first time.
The album is the classic power trio live,harder rocking than the more complex band they became.Starting with Bastille Day running through Anthem,Fly By Night,In The Mood and Something For Nothing the band really belt along.Lakeside Park next which for me is still the only downer of the collection.2112 next harder rocking than the studio version and for me more enjoyable.BY - Tor And the Snowdog is the stand out track on the album for me,and this is the best version in its full 11 minutes,Alex particularly shining.
The album then runs In The End,classic Working Man,Finding My Way and then the encore of What You Doing.
To quote the band "It is not perfect,but it is faithful to us and to you"
For fans who came across the band through "Spirit Of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer"it my take some getting into,but this unpolished gem is worth it.
Now all we need is a live cd of the Hemishpheres Tour and my Rush collection would be complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars end of an era! and the start of a new one..., 6 Sept. 2010
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are many fantastic live double albums from the 70's,very few of them live up to this one.From the opening 'Bastille Day' to the closing 'What Your Doing' this album rocks from start to finish,a historical document of Rush in simpler times,when keyboards were not the preeminent instrument,Rush in their purest form? you decide.

There are many highlights,from the spine chilling intro to 2112,hairs standing up on the back of the neck as Geddy's vocals reach for the stars to the nerve shreding finale. The fantastic drum solo from Neil Peart,the pop sensibility of 'Lakeside Park',the magnificence of 'In The End' even better live to the albums best track the extended 'By Tor And The Snow Dog' with its other worldy mid section featuring a stunning bass/lead guitar battle,that only three men could make this sound is awesome.Indeed every track is a classic with special mention of the final trio 'Workin'Man/Finding My Way & What Your Doing' with guitar riffs to the fore absolutely confirming Rush rocked from the start.

An essential purchase,still my favourite Rush live album(and there are many),take a trip back in time,you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If all the World's a Stage, how does Snagglepuss Exit?, 6 April 2013
Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland) - See all my reviews
Once upon a time in a land far, far away, Rush live albums were akin to punctuation. A full stop at the end of a paragraph if you will. These days Rush albums are like busses, you wait for ages and three turn up at once.

All the World's a Stage was the first punctuation of the Rush story, coming at the end of a sublime run of albums wherein our Canuck chums had raised the HEAVY METAL bar to new heights. Recorded at Toronto's Massey Hall, this is probably the best live album ever, as I understand it it is exceptionally live by live album standards - no Unleashed in the Studio here. It's also liver than Rush would ever dare be nowadays, oh away with you thrice-cursed samples.

Rammed full of the classics from the first for albums, the only thing that is really missed is Beneath, Between and Behind, but who can quibble with the Bombastic Bludgeon of Bastille Day? The Anthemicness of er Anthem? Who can fail to be thrilled by hearing "We'd like to do for you side 1 of our latest album, this is 2112"? Man oh man, this is just Live, Loud and ROCK!!!!!!!!

Heartily recommended. Buy with utmost confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars The world is now their stage .., 29 Mar. 2013
K. Todd - See all my reviews
Rush are currently one of the biggest names in the Rock canon and this 'live' double, from 1976, captures them at the point where they were beginning to move away from being just another power trio towards establishing their own identity as a formidable band in their own right, with albums like Hemispheres and Moving Pictures. The songs here range from the sappy ( fly by night) to the immensity of 2112, where Rush broke away from the herd and established themselves as leaders in their field. This album is a fitting testament to a band who were, at this time, on the very cusp of joining the big boys and, in my humble opinion, one of the great 'live' rock albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love early Rush and this there 1st live album is ..., 29 Jun. 2015
I love early Rush and this there 1st live album is heavy and a little raw but to me give great memories of seeing this great band in the 70s. Of course they are still a class act and have done many good live albums but this one is worth buying to listen to them in the early days and to how they have also changed but are still as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars All The World's a Stage, 19 Aug. 2010
This review is from: All the World's a Stage (Audio CD)
All the World's a Stage in an early Rush Live album. It is typical Rush. Both complicated music and exciting. No wonder this amazing Canadian rock band have been going for so long. This is a must by for any music fan or anyone interested in playing drums, Guitar or bass. This is how it should be done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good re-master of a classic album., 17 Mar. 2012
This was always one of Rush's greatest achievements and this re-master has done nothing to diminish that. The outstanding musicianship of all three members of the band is clear to hear. I had this album on vinyl back in the 80's and am loving re-visiting it on CD and through my MP3!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

All the World's a Stage
All the World's a Stage by Rush (Audio CD - 1987)