Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 July 2014
One of my favourite bands of all time - great to have these back in my collection!
on 6 April 2016
I have a question....Did I hear that Eric Bell, while suffering a breakdown, was not helped by Lynott's writing of "Hero and the Madman" being all about him?
Good album and great guitar work, though.
on 23 November 2012
Had heard some of the songs off this before but it showed the peak of the Eric bell era Thin Lizzy for me. Excellent guitar work mixed with an elemenet of celtic legend.
on 17 August 2014
The golden age of Thin Lizzy with the virtuoso guitar performance of Eric Bell founder and distinctive sound creator epitomised by his riffs on Whiskey in the Jar
on 29 February 2016
A bit more familiar sound from lizzy , I really like this album ,
on 23 February 2011
I'll start with the - from my point of view - somewhat negative aspects of this release: The sound quality of the original album is not improved compared to the old Decca/Deram release. The new mastering sounds noticeably brighter and is also a little bit louder (by use of some moderate limiting/compression). This might appeal to some people ("it's louder and clearer, I can hear more details") but the result in my opinion is a too bright sound, and the vocals don't sound as natural anymore as on the original CD. Also, the dynamics are better on the original CD, although this Deluxe Edition is far from being brick-walled.

Another small quibble, but we already got used to that with the new Deluxe Editions: There is no more outer plastic slipcase which nicely protects the digipack style artwork. The "Deluxe Edition" banner is only a sticker which - thankfully - comes off quite easily and well if you are a little careful (= just pull it off slowly). The disc one of my set also has some hairline scratches from manufacturing, you might want to check your copy. It doesn't affect playability, at least I haven't noticed it yet.

Now that I got that off of my chest, there are some really positive aspects to this Deluxe Edition, that is the multitude of the great bonus material. Especially disc two is totally outstanding, we get five excellent live recordings from BBC Radio 1 and then 8 tracks from various "live in the studio" (without audience) sessions for various BBC Radio 1 programmes. The sound quality on these is pretty good and the performances are excellent. Really worth owning.

Disc one also has 10 bonus tracks in total (2 of these were released on the old Deram/Decca CD release of the album - and these also do sound better there), but I haven't heard or owned the other bonus tracks (although I am quite sure some of them have been released before in some form).

I still give this release four stars due to the excellent bonus material. But if you are not a fan of bright and loud CD's, don't expect a sonic upgrade compared to the old version. If you find the old version "muddy" sounding and not loud enough, you might prefer the new mastering. I understand that preferences in CD mastering can differ greatly, so please view my comments only as my personal opinion. If you like the new mastering better, that is fine with me.
on 5 February 2016
An absolute classic full of 70's Rock crackers
on 23 January 2015
HE loves this too - trip down memory lane.
on 26 July 2011
It was the BBC Golders Green concert that I first heard live and turned me on to Thin Lizzy. A love affair that still lasts. The album was released that day and I promptly bought the album the following Monday. A decision I have never regretted. It was an absolute revelation.
on 10 February 2016