4.0 out of 5 stars Not to be overlooked
Published on 3 April 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blues
This was a present for someone else, who enjoyed the album, as he is a fan of Moody Blues. I am pleased for them.
Published 11 months ago by berger15

4.0 out of 5 stars Not to be overlooked, 3 April 2003
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
Couldn't agree less with the criticism raised against this. Only recently got into the band, and really enjoyed this. Well played, not badly recorded (for 1968 - a couple of years before studio quality live recordings started to surface). The gorgeosly raw sound to Justin H's guitar adds a real edge to what is in fact a gorgeous run through of some of the best MB tracks from the classic era. What Red Rocks makes up in technical sound quality, I think it loses in freshness and excitement - inevitable I suppose in a group of individuals past their first blush of youth. Best illustration of this is the drum sound - the eager pounding on CL+5 wilting over the years to what sounds like wet cardboard being slapped with a dead fish...

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Thing, 20 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
To confuse the non-initiated- This album, recording quality not withstanding, is far superior to the overwrought and over-produced Red Rocks nonsense.
It's a genuine example of what the Moodies were all about in the days when they were still a vital and interesting part of the Sixties psychedelic culture in this country. There's a rumour that the band weren't too pleased with the performances here, but they sound like enthusiastic and energetic young musicians with a raw edge to their sound, and an optimistic vision of the future. Sadly there's nothing here later than TOCCC but it's a great record of a cathartic concert by one of the great Beatle inspired Pop Groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, 28 July 2008
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
To set the record straight, as Martin Hogan has criticised the recording. I was there the night of the recording (which was on 12th December 1969 and NOT 1968 as he states). The idea was to record the whole of the gig and release it as a double album; unfortunately there were manyfold technical problems which resulted in much discussion with producer Tony Clarke (he was under the stage in a control booth) as many songs were suffering from buzzing and other sound issues which were rendering some of them useless for release. I think, in the light of the problems, we were lucky to have anything released from the gig at all (and to my ears I am pretty glad with what did finally get released, as it was a good record of the sound of the band at that time).

A few days later (17th December) the band recamped at the BBC's Playhouse theatre (near the Thames) to record an hour long radio special along with fellow Threshold artistes Trapeze and Timon. A much cut down version of this performance was issued in TOCCC (and as stated here it was NOT at the Paris theatre as stated in the definitive edition sleevenotes - I should know as I was waiting outside before the commencement of the gig, getting frozen cold!).

I was fortunate to have front centre stage seats for both performances. It was a time that I shall never forget, seeing a great band at the height of their imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blue Heaven!, 5 Nov 2005
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
I grew up with The Moody blues and this is he-e-ven (moody talk).
Im now fifty something and times havent changed utter brilliance
It has depth, and brillaint backing-- Nights in white satin,The story in your eyes,are my favorites Blue guitar(Ok its the blue jays)has personal sentimental value for me.
Everyone who reads this will relate a track to someone or something in their life very special
17 tracks of sheer utter timeless quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blues, 17 Nov 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars For Completists Only, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
Having bought the vinyl version when it was first released, I had not heard this album for many years. Having reached a certain age (ancient), I have found myself, in recent years, becoming nostalgic. As such, I have found myself buying, CD versions of a lot of my old vinyl albums. It was in this spirit, that I recently bought " Caught Live + 5". I enjoyed listening to it but did find myself squirming at some of the band dialogue between tracks (very hippyish and of it's time). However, the renditions of the tracks are spirited although some tracks work better than others. It should be remembered that the technology available at the time is nothing like as sophisticated today. The lead vocals are largely excellent throughout although the backing vocals are a bit wobbly sometimes. The five bonus studio tracks are excellent and on their own make this album a worthwhile purchase. A worthwhile purchase if only for curiousity. I'm glad to have obtained this for my CD collection and at a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride my See Saw, 30 April 2013
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
Live and Raw, everything I want from a live album, interest and not a polished clone of the studio album. This has atmosphere and some interesting variations on the tunes.
It's also quite long clocking in at just over an hour. A great addition to the first few Moody blues album.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the Moodies, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (MP3 Download)
I have enjoyed their music since 1965 and I have nearly all their their works . This live album is of great interest. Love . It

5.0 out of 5 stars Live in '69 at the Royal Albert Hall + Extras, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
Enthusiastic fan of live vintage performances. If sound quality tends to be a little gruff, the spontaneity and exuberance compensate to shine through. Set list and banter between numbers transport back to that magical time when audiences simply listened and enjoyed. No synths, no lasers, no pyrotechnics, no gimmicks ... only unadulterated, raw but soaring, melodies and brooding or wistful vocals aching with sensitivity. Such a pleasure to yield and melt into the moment. This compilation is a must-have for the last three bonus tracks alone: Long Summer Days, King and Queen, and What Am I Doing Here -- all exquisitely fragile and haunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moody Blues - Caught Live +5, 15 Nov 2010
P. R. Greenbaum "Paul G" (Rayleigh Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caught Live + 5 (Audio CD)
I have wanted to own some of the older Moody Blues albums for some time but
have been put off by the cost in a record shop. I was very pleased to see this on Amazon for [...]
including free delivery. Album arrived quickly and is a great addition to my collection.

Paul G

Caught Live + 5
Caught Live + 5 by The Moody Blues (Audio CD - 1997)