4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but it is abridged. There is a new version out.
There is a new version of this which is unabridged.
Published on 3 Dec 2002 by Roy E. Hayden

2.0 out of 5 stars Monotonous...
I like Philip Glass and his music, I really do. I love "The Hours" soundtrack. But I think that this one is boring. I don't know why , maybe it's a matter of personal taste in music , maybe I have to listen to it more times , maybe it is not what I expected it would be or maybe because it is really monotonous music with vocals that ,as time goes by, irritate the ears.
Published on 12 Jan 2012 by George

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but it is abridged. There is a new version out., 3 Dec 2002
Roy E. Hayden (Brentwood, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
There is a new version of this which is unabridged.
The original recording of Koyaanisqatsi was issued at what was a distinctly uneasy time - for the record companies at least. The LP era was coming to an end and the compact disc was only beginning to enter its primacy. Because the LP, which was then the more popular medium by far, could rarely hold more than 25 minutes per side, it was decreed that the score for the Glass/Reggio film should be radically abridged for its initial release.
Fifteen years later, it is a pleasure to have virtually all of the music from Koyaanisqatsi on disc, including about a halt hour of material that has hitherto been available only with the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic and original, 16 Nov 2010
J. LITTMAN (Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
I've had this album since it was released and I still go back to it regularly as there's nothing else like it on an emotional level in my opinion.
Parts of it are so powerful and the only way I can describe some of the songs is 'harrowing'.

If you're not familiar with Glass this is the perfect introduction.
Simply stunning music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 13 Jun 2010
Al Stig "Al" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (MP3 Download)
One of the best movie soundtracks of all times. It's inspirational, spiritual, uplifting and strong. In terms of works of Philipe Glass, the apsolute must have, and to me his best piece by far, every single one on this album.
Classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Koyaanisqatsi 'Suite', 23 Sep 2009
Kim Hatton "Kim Hatton" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
As other reviewers here have written this is very much an abridgement to the soundtrack of Reggio's remarkable eponymous film. However in being so much shorter it stands alone, almost as a 'Suite' from the film and makes for a tighter score easily assimilated whilst listening. However for the complete soundtrack, including sound effects, Orange Mountain Music's masterful release [Koyaanisquatsi (Original score)] fits the bill but is a little odd without the visuals. Happily I have bought both as I know the film so well that I can almost visualise every frame to the music while at other times I like the discipline imposed by this shorter work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillip Glass, 4 May 2014
Mr. P. Richardson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
Over Rated, Under Rated, Unheard of? Philip Glass will be known to history as one of the great composers of out time even if he is under appreciated in his time. This is my favourite music from him. Just sublime and unique. Some of his other music sounds a bit 'samey' though, however that could also be said about that other genius, Mike Oldfield.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is America's Tubular Bells, 4 Mar 2014
A. Sutherland "Articcini" (Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
My kids are as in to this as I was about Tubular Bells when I was their age. No accounting for taste. But it is an excellent piece of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
Quite evocative pieces. I remember seeing the film (to which this is the soundtrack) many years ago and still see the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koyaanisqatsi, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
As with all great discoveries I bought this CD for a Christmas gift for someone else. She said that it was not really her cup of tea and said would I be offended if she gave it back to me. I was in no way offended as music is quite personal as it was a gamble purchase anyway. The shock was that I liked it and had in fact heard it a number of time in films etc... This is not going to be for everyone, but approach it with an open mind and you could well be taken with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gut wrenching inspiration., 4 Nov 1999
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
Once you follow any one of the musical threads in any of the tracks of this album, then let your mind lose focus and notice the twists, turns and new musical "plays". It is effortless genius and I love the incredible power that surges from the musicians/chorus during the many build-up finales.
As with all favourite albums there are associated memories too. When I saw the film/heard the soundtrack I just gave up on my 2nd year degree exam revision. I had to take a huge step back and take a long hard look at life/universe etc. 1984 was a very important crossroad for me which this album with its complexity and power fully embodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 3 May 2006
This review is from: Koyaanisqatsi (Audio CD)
Fascinating, it would be unthinkable to live without it! If you like this, try the sublime Ontayso/Tim Koch release 'Where have you been'?. Both great!

Koyaanisqatsi
Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass (Audio CD - 1983)