5.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot
Published on 1 May 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish they were still making music together
Great indie record - She Said is a classic.
Love this band however, their 2nd record, Mobile Home, is a better record with every song a hit. Only my opinion though.
Published 18 months ago by Jim

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot, 1 May 2003
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
A couple of years I went through a stage of buying records mainly by obscure rock bands. I got so into it that if you mentioned any band outside of dance music to me, I could probably give you an entire discography. The problem was is that I had to go mostly on word of mouth and the music press, since such bands were not (by definition) played on the radio. Now the music press give some very medicre 4 and 5 stars out of 5, and as such I now own many dull records by total unheard-ofs. But I did find the odd gem during this phase of mine, and this is one of them.
It followed the general path of every classic in my collection. On first listen, appeared little more than an average rock album. I thought On and On was very pretty, but that the album suffered from a general lack of tunefulness. But, inexplicably, it got stuck in my discman and was all I listened to for quite a while.
It was during this time that I started to hear just how good the vocal harmonies were, how deep the textures of each song were, how soulful Crispin Hunt's vocals are. I also noticed how well the album held up as a whole. There was definitely something about this album, that special thing that no-one quite knows what is, that separates the classics from the merely good.
One of those albums that gets better with each play, in trying to pick my favourite tracks I listed three quaters of the album! Lost myself is so brilliant and I have no idea why, Happy again has the most beautiful chord change in the chorus that I have ever heard, Jesus Christ is one of the best heavy rock song ever, and Over our bodies is an improved, more emotional version of Radiohead's Lucky.
I'd recommend this to anyone, and I don't say that about many albums. I suppose it would particularly appeal to fans of the radiohead/pavement scene, but anyone really into music would like it given time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's in my top five albums of all time..., 18 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
Sorry, this is another sycophantic review...
From the opener "Lost Myself" to "On & On" to the emotionally gob-smacking finale "Jesus Christ", this album does not put a foot wrong. I bought it a few months after it originally came out, and can honestly say it's one of the best albums I own. The music press compared it the Radiohead's "The Bends", a universally recognised classic album, but personally I think the Longpigs debut is the better record. Rather than wallow in mauldlin sentiments (which "The Bends" can be accused of at times), "The Sun Is Often Out" expresses a masive range of emotions which leaves you stunned at just how well this album achieves it's aim of making you sit up and recognise this is one the 'great' debuts.
The album is beautiful, raw, sexy and original, which is in itself is a rariety nowadays. In Crispin Hunt the band have (or had, since they've all now gone their separate ways) one of the most expressive and affecting vocalists I've had the pleasure of hearing, with no other vocalist I've experienced able to trip between heart melting sweetness to emotion shredding explosive bombast in the space of one song.
If all these reviews seem suspect in their overwhelming positivity, it does tend to suggest there's something there. Buy this album. It really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Genius!, 22 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
I, like many reviewers dug out this album from my mid 90's Britpop CD collection only to find a beautifully timeless debut album which ranks up there among the best! Crispin Hunt's vocals and completely bizarre lyrics dominate this LP which throws up classic tune after classic tune. The Longpigs never really fitted into the Britpop niche thrust upon them, being dazzlingly imaginative with an eclectic quality that sits more at home with celebrated genius such as Radiohead. Any fans of Muse and the Cure should check this out to see a band that transcend genres while spawninig infectious pop tunes such as "She Said". Every track sounds like a single and are more memorable and familiar than most bands these days seem capable of managing. Standout tracks include "Sally Dances", "Jesus Christ" and "Far" among many others, unfortunately the band disolved in 2000 in a blizzard of cocaine and egos, but not before releasing a long awaited 2nd album "Mobile Home". Rumours of note include the Longpigs being given the American tour support slot of a U2 tour (a similar deal which broke Radiohead in the US.) but losing it due to lead singer Crispin Hunt calling Bono a c**t! And who hasnt wanted to do that? Respect and salutations to a before their time classic British group. P.S. After seeing them on tour during their promotional "Mobile Home" tour i have to say that while their 2nd album doesnt quite reach the heights of their stellar debut their performance hinted at what couldve been. Crispin, where are you now?

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say??, 23 July 2006
A. C. A. Vine "vinester" (The Dirty North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
There aren't too many albums in my collection that I can listen to from start to finish without thinking there is a "duff" track or two thrown in just to get the thing overwith and on the shelf! But this is one of them (and I own a few!!)

The combination of Hunt and Hawley is truly a force to be reckoned with... even compared to the likes of Lennon & McCartney or Morrisey and Marr! Every song takes you on a journey to a place where, you might not actually want to go, but you go all the same and come out at the other end not knowing what's just happened but it felt so good you want more!!

The songs aren't pretty, or epic.... just brutally honest! Looking at life, their environment and interpersonal relationships in a manner of objectiveness that has only surfaced again recently with the arrival of the Arctic Monkeys!!

However, their fellow Sheffield outfit Arctic Monkeys could only be described as a "naughty postcard" in comparison with a band that have the eloquence, knowledge and downright honesty of Paxman, Darwin and Clarkson put together!!

Why do all the best bands never get the credit they deserve??

If I had one cd to listen to forever...... this would be it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, classic, intelligent, passionate, 11 Nov 2007
Monkey Magic "Mm!" (Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
As far as I'm concerned, the Longpigs were never really a part of the Britpop phenomenon -- their debut album is too savvy and intelligent to be pigeon-holed like that. This is without doubt a classic album that you can listen too repeatedly. They were (and still are) one of the most original bands I've ever heard.

I dug this album out again recently and was shocked by how much it still thrills me. Haunting, sometimes angry, sometimes wistful, these tunes will get deep under your skin.

If you like unpretentious, frenetic guitar music with close-to-the-bone lyrics from a band that really has no comparison, have a listen to this album. Personal favourites are She Said and Jesus Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL........, 2 Nov 2007
Michael A. Williams "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" (Flintshire, North Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
Still, after 11 years this album graces the speakers of my car, house and Mp3. I've come on here hunting the rare and much dismissed second album, but felt I could not pass without paying my respects to the soundtrack to my life. The Sun Is Often Out has over 11 years, and continues to, lift me, chill me and fill me up. I urge anybody unfmiliar with or who has bumped into Longpigs along the way, take a chance. You will be rewarded more than you can possibly imagine. I cannot think of one weak track. ALL GOOD. Thank god Richard Hawley's back doing his stuff, and lets hope Crispin doesn't leave it too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing record., 19 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
Every track is brilliant in its own right, and yet everything gels together beautifully as a whole as well - a rare accomplishment. I've had this record for nearly four years and I never tire of it. Incredibly it manages to sound rough and yet faultless all at the same time, huge depth and diversity, a song for every occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yorkshire Genius, 25 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
One of the only bands that I can truly say have moved me. They are truly yorkshire genius. It is so easy to get lost in "the sun is often out" every track is a rollercoaster of sound from the mental "she said" and "jesus christ" to the moving sound of "on and on". EXCELLENT.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY THE GREASTEST ALBUM EVER RECORDED, 11 Mar 2000
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
The 'Sun Is Often Out' is an extremely original and hyped up record. Songs such as 'Lost Myself', 'She Said', An the Classic 'On And On' really define the sheer quality of this album. Lead man and songwriter Crispin Hunt seems to have aquired a style unique to himself, and The Longpigs have been touted as the new Radiohead. Unfortunately for the band they have never really achieved the fame that they deserve. But, for those who have heard of them they're a very special little secret indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Milestone in Popular Music History, 22 Aug 2000
This review is from: The Sun Is Often Out (Audio CD)
What do we say about this recording. It amazes where the inspiration for this came from. This is RARE quality on a grand scale. This album is one of those very few albums that you remember exactly where you were when you first encountered it and upon every subsequent listening, you are stirred back to those Happy (or perhaps not so happy) feelings generated by the Longpigs somehow mysterious emotional extraction. This album must have Voodoo qualities. Dont be fooled by rash "I love this" reviews....they are all correct!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Sun Is Often Out
The Sun Is Often Out by Longpigs (Audio CD - 1996)