5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album
This really is one of Elton's finest albums. The beautiful 'Tiny Dancer'opens the album, full of superb orchestrations. It's good to see that this timeless classic is featured on the new 'Greatest Hits 1970-2002' compilation. The title track is also a masterpiece, (hear an early version on the remastered 'Tumbleweed Connection') as is the rarely mentioned 'Indian...
Published on 29 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars early ELTON JOHN
first purchased in 1972 as a venal L P thought it was good then and ok for playing in car.
Published 5 months ago by G. REID

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Elton album, 8 Feb 2013
D. Passell (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
Had these on tape many years ago but it became unusable. Pleased to find a CD version and the crazy thing was it was cheaper, even with added postage, than the download version. I know which I'd rather have. It meant a 48hr wait for delivery but what's that compared to the time it took me to source a replacement for the worn out tape? Great tracks, the best being Madman across the Water but there isn't a duff one amongst them. If you don't buy anything else from Elton, get this one. It's great. Very atmospheric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton at his very best, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
I recently saw Elton John in concert, and he played the first two songs from Madman. That inspired me to buy the album. The rest of the songs don't disappoint either. More than four decades after it was released it still sounds extremely fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of his best, 16 Mar 2012
Mrs. Julia M. James-tarn "Julz" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
for those who followed elton from his early years this really shows his growth, and has tunes that will remain in your mind for all time to come

5.0 out of 5 stars a great addition to my back catalogue., 13 Jan 2012
Mr. L. Woolcott "lozza" (essex, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
I am singing along with all of the songs, although I have not heard them for ages.
One of Eltons best, in his best writing period

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton John, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
What a great album. I bought this album many years ago but this album has been remixed and it sounds better than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans of Elton John's earlier stuff, 7 Jan 2011
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My Brother-in-law was delighted to receive this at Christmas and claims it includes 2 of the best Elton John tracks ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madman Across The Water, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
My wife saw Elton John at Manchester Free Trade Hall in the early seventies. She loved Elton's early stuff - up to and including Yellow Brick Road. Got this for her and to complete his classic albums. He really was great back then - but so were we all! Buy it and enjoy it. We did.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Eltons best, 24 Mar 2010
Madman Across the Water [HYBRID SACD]
Great songs on this album, not one that gets a mention much by the fans but is very good, even better in surround sound if you have a SACD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton John's previous and great songs, 17 Dec 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
Madman Across The Water (1971) is my favorite album of this amazing musician, or should I say...a pair of musicians. The name of Bernie Taupin has to be mentioned because the collaboration between these two stars made their songs so powerful and meaningful. Elton's amazing music was usually proceeded by Bernie's special lyrics at times providing us with a light poetic tone of mellow ballads and at others shining light upon some of our real struggles and worries. Perhaps their most powerful and deepest songs can be found on Elton John's second album from 1970, the one with his face silhouetted over the black cover and simply called Elton John. However, I find that album very uneven. I understand that someone not bothered by average rock'n'roll songs might find that album his best. For me this album Madman Across The Water provides the nicest balance of placing me in the atmosphere of his early songs, which I find much more ambitious and less pop, sustaining the most even feel throughout and distracting me the least by the rock'n'roll hits hard for me to digest. This album has a nice light tone to it. It is almost like some peace was found inside of someone's heart and mind after releasing the tension earlier. So many of his songs of this album and some of his later jewels as well have this airy disposition and when mixed with some of the darker more complex songs I find the combination quite breathtaking. Elton's musical career has delivered over 30 studio albums and close to 20 of various best of and live compilations. However, with a few exceptions, like Song For Guy, which is one of my favorite instrumental melodies of all times, most of my favorite songs of Elton John came from the early 1970s. Some of my favorite songs of Elton John are: Goodbye, First Episode At Hienton, Song For Guy, Seasons Reprise, Sixty Years On, Mood 3, It's Me That You Need, Your Song, I need You To Turn To, Tonight, Funeral For A Friend, The Greatest Discovery, Tiny Dancer, Madman Across The Water, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Levon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT CLASSIC, 15 Mar 2000
This review is from: Madman Across The Water (Audio CD)
I bought the original cassette in 1972.After 10 years of use my original gave up the ghost.Since then I have spent many hours searching record shops for a copy. On discovering amazon.co.uk I had a copy on C.D. Giving far superior reproduction after being remastered by Gus Dudgeon the original producer, back in 1972. Being able to listen to the enhanced sound of the C.D.on the music systems of today compared to the mono cassette I had back in 1972. My favorite tracks are Tiny Dancer, Levon and the title track Madman across the water.

Madman Across The Water
Madman Across The Water by Elton John (Audio CD - 1995)