5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's Best Album
To me this is Elton's best album. It represents everything good in Elton John music: chock full of memorable lyrics and tunes you find yourself singing long after they're done.
Published on 15 May 2004 by James Choma

3.0 out of 5 stars Captain Inconsistent.
It am reviewing this from the point if view of A younger EJ fan. This album is older that me! It dose contain come of Elton's best work. I like the balance between sad and uplifting songs and his band are all fantastic. I just feel for every good song the is a poor one! For example the lovely We all fall in lovely sometimes is followed by the tedious Curtains. Therefore...
Published 4 months ago by H.E.Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton's Best Album, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
You get some of Elton's greatest hits ("Someone Saved My Life Tonight," "Philadelpia Freedom," and his cover of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds") along with lesser known masterpieces ("Curtains," "Tower of Babel," and "We All Fall in Love Sometimes"). All in all, the album as a whole is nothing short of fantastic. I'm able to put it on and listen to it straight through without having to hit the advance button.
"Curtains" is probably my favorite song on the album: "I used to know this old scarecrow, he was my song, my joy and sorrow..." You also get the added bonus of three singles that weren't on the original album: "Philadelphia Freedom," "One Day at a Time," and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."
I was digging through my old albums and found I had the original album. The detailed artwork is amazing. There also was a lyric booklet as well as a Captain Fantasic poster. While I like CD's, you tend to miss out on this sort of stuff due to size constraints. It's really pretty cool.
If I were to limit myself to only one Elton John album that I felt was representative of his career, this is the album I'd get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatastic Indeed!!!, 6 Jan 2004
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I am only 14 years old and I am not embarassed to say that elton john is without doubt my favourite artist of all time. Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy epitomises the career of man who in my eyes is a not only a national treasure but a god of pop/rock. The album chronicles the relationship and early work of John/Taupin partnership a partnership that has spanned more decades than Lennon/McCartney and one whom pop music should be glad it can call its own. Elton said of Captain Fantastic, 'It is one of the best' and I beg to differ, sorry Elton it is the best. The classic piano-rock ballad that is 'Someone saved My life to Night',the moody, 'When the Whistle Blows' and the echanting subtly and maturity of both verse and harmony portrayed in 'Tower of Babel' (My favourite track on the album and possibly of them all) gives a reality of felling to the album. It is in no way contrived despite being recorded in chronological order in a studio and it's pure instintive heart-warming lyrics and classic catchy tunes make this Captain Fantastic masterpiece fantastic indeed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 15 May 2005
Paul (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Having been a big Elton fan for as long as I can remember ( I grew up listening to Elton courtsey of my oldest brother who bought each album as it came out ), this is by far my favourite from an exceptional catalogue. I was 10 when this came out, but was instantly smitten from the first time I heard this.
Every song on this album is an absolute gem from the opening guitar riff of the title track right through to the repeated vocals of Curtains. Thirty years later, still, whenever I put the CD on I just HAVE to listen to the whole thing - the remarkable tunes and lyrics just make you want to shut everything else out and listen - and not stop listening until it's finished!
Both Elton and Bernie Taupin were at the height or their powers on this album - Elton's ability to match the music to the lyrics was never better showcased than here. Maybe it's because they were both writing about their path to fame and glory. Whatever, never has a record been so personal, yet so accessible to the wider audience.
In my opinion, they never bettered this album.They have come very close several times ( most noticably on "2 low 4 Zero" , " The One" and "Songs From The West Coast" ), but they have yet to conquer these dizzying heights again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive EJ album, 2 Jun 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I just love this album - first released in 1975 it showcases Elton John and Bernie Taupins's mastery of lyrics brilliantly. It also demonstrates EJ's ability to inject real atmosphere and imagery into his singing. The most famous track from this album is probably the single "Someone Saved My life Tonight" - the "someone" is thought to be a reference to Long John Baldry who persuaded EJ against a potentially unhappy marriage that may have undermined his music career. Everything about this album is perfect, including the sleeve graphics, and, although, the tempos vary every track is solid gold. Buy it, transport yourself back in time to 1975 and bathe in the waters of nostalgia.

In my humble opinion, probably one of the best albums ever made, and, in my view, certainly the best EJ album of all time. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says Elton's not a timeless attraction?!, 24 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
Elton John has never failed to impress me, and, as usual, this album lives up to his high standards. As a school pupil I usually get endless abuse about being a fan of Elton John, but with 'Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy' the perception of my peers has altered; after I lent them this album they appreciated the true talent that Elton possesses! Particular favourites of mine and those highlighted by my mates are 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight' and 'Lucy in the sky with Diamonds'. Although these are the better known of the tracks on the album they thoroughly deserve the recognition they've received. This album takes you on a roller-coaster journey through the emotions of triumphs and tribulations and is definately worth buying, no matter what age you are! A timeless classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars greatest elton album ever, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out on LP and now i cant play it cos ive no record player in fact ive got all eltons albums and this is by far his greatest ever album its sheer class,i am going to replace all my LPS with cds and this one is first on the list,top class

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs about Elton's early days with Bernie, 11 Jun 2009
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
This album is a series of songs about the sixties, beginning when Elton and Bernie first met and ending when Elton's first album, Empty sky, was released. As such, it is likely to be best appreciated by those who are familiar with the story behind the songs, but as most people who listen to this album don't know the men personally and haven't read any biographies about Elton (and I'm not sure how much those biographies say about the period in question anyway, since I haven`t yet read any of them), the music here has to stand on its own merit.

The CD booklet, like the original vinyl album insert, contains lyrics for Dogs in the kitchen, a song attacking music industry bosses that never appeared on the original album. Apparently, Elton never recorded the song, but thought that merely including the lyrics in the booklet was sufficient to make his point.

The songs that actually made up the original album are presented in the order in which the events that inspired them occurred. The title track introduces thee two main characters, these being Captain Fantastic (Elton) and the brown dirt cowboy (Bernie). Subsequent tracks show some of the resentment that Elton and Bernie felt about the moguls who controlled the music business. This is particularly evident on Bitter fingers, which explains that it is hard to simply write songs to order, especially if you're told what kind of song is required. Away from the music business itself, other songs tell of life growing up as young men in the sixties, a good example being Tell me when the whistle blows.

The only single released from the original album was Someone saved my life tonight, which made the top ten in America but didn't do so well in Britain, where it just messed the top twenty. Two other singles appear on this re-release as bonus tracks, together with one of their B-sides. Lucy in the sky with diamonds, a cover of the Beatles classic, should be instantly recognizable. Although it doesn't say so in the liner notes, I think this was recorded for a Beatles tribute album (All this and world war two) . In any case, it was a hugely successful single, become an American number one and British top ten hit. The other A-side single presented here as a bonus track, Philadelphia freedom, , also topped the American singles chart but just missed the British top ten. The interesting fact about this song is that Elton and Bernie wrote it following a request by Billie Jean King, the famous tennis player, for a theme song for her team.

This isn't the most accessible Elton John album. It takes a few plays to get into, but it is a fascinating album and is further strengthened by the bonus tracks. Serious Elton John fans definitely need this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iconic album, 5 Feb 2014
Mrs. L. Down - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I bought this album to replace the one I had,as I had worn it out! great cd to use in the car or at home where you can really listen to the genius that is Elton John and Bernie Taupin.Must must buy for everyones collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album for the serious listener, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
After Goodbye yellow brick road, the album had to be different but unique.
Bernie Taupins lyrics describe, set the scene, and tell the story. brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Elton, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Audio CD)
I have always loved this as an LP and it was just time to get the CD too- totally brilliant.

ARRAY(0x11330d98)

Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John (Audio CD - 1995)