5.0 out of 5 stars Quality music
It was inevitable that Tim Booth would do some solo tunes, and working with Angelo Badalamenti proved to be the correct choice. Angelo has since gone on to produce the soundtracks to films like the Beach and Tim, well we all know that one.
Published on 23 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars good album
I don't listen to a lot pop or rock. My friend had a couple of song on his MP3 player and I thought they were good. I listened to the a couple of times, it is good, by I guess it is not my type of thing anyway -I much rather listen to Handle- :-)
Published on 2 Jun 2012 by M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality music, 23 Feb 2001
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
The tracks themselves are simply great. 'Dance of the Bad Angels' struck me immediately as being one of the best on the CD, with its Jazzy theme and soothing, drifting lyrics. 'Stranger' and 'Hands in the Rain' are my two other favourite tracks. I don't know what it is but I can always relate my life to Tim's songs, so I become absorbed in the music, and Booth and the Bad Angel is no exception.
Buy it, I guarantee you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously rich lyrics with and epic backgrounds, 1 Dec 2000
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
Booth's solo project with Badalamenti's tunes often gets mistaken for being the work of Booth's day-job, the band 'James'. But what a great record it is; any James fan should own a copy. The second half is slightly weaker than the first, but all round it is still remarkable for a one-off project.
Try it. You /will/ like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not James good, 6 Mar 2004
T. Booth "Deuce" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
Well, I'd read about "Booth and the Bad Angel", notably in the notes for the James "Best of" but never really thought much of it. I'd halfheartedly scan record shops for it; never really occurred to me to get it online. Well, I found it yesterday and bought it on an impulse. As soon as I got home, I whacked it straight in the CD player and listened to it all the way through several times.
While the first couple of times through it can sound a little sludgy, not to mention samey, if you take each song in isolation they suddenly improve. If you're after a more "Jamesy" sound, then "Rising" and "Stranger" could have been taken straight from Laid. "Dance of the Bad Angels" also seems to owe a lot to James' style (it wouldn't be out of place in Pleased to Meet You, I don't think). But the rest of it is different. "Old Ways" and "Hit Parade" are more upbeat in musical if not lyrical terms, for instance.
Booth is at his best on this album; the only James songs that compare in terms of vocals are the ones on "Seven". His voice soars beautifully on "I Believe", but masters the melancholy tones of "Please Fall in Love with Me" with equal adeptness.
That said, it's definitely Booth, rather than James. The songs here are good, but I do prefer the work of the band. There are no real rivals to the best of James here (possibly "Old Ways"). If anything, the album made me realise how much more James is than simply the singer (rather important now that he's left).
In conclusion, a good album that I would heartily recommend to any James fan. However, I wouldn't recommend it over any of the band's albums (except Stutter).

5.0 out of 5 stars Booth and the Bad Angel, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
Very enjoyable listening. Tim Booths delivery of vocals and melodies is superb as expected. Lyrics are very interesting. Fantastic instrumentals. The Dance of the Bad Angels track is fab, so ethereal. My personal favourite is Fall in Love with me- must have heard it thousands of times now, never tire of it. Eclectic collection of tracks here, would recommend highly and prepare to be enthralled. Love it, love it, love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passion and Spirit, 26 Oct 2000
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
This is the greatest fusion of two music types in History. Angelo's music and Tim's voice are made for each other and that is it. The first half of the album is definitely better but the second half is one of those mood halfs were you could completely milk it one night

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
Have had this album a good few years now, but it has become one of my favourites. Some cracking tunes on there. Especially love 'I believe' and 'Hands in the rain', although, I'd love to know what the chuff the latter is about! Bizarre lyrics. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD WHEN THE YOUNG ARE STILL PLAYING IT!, 7 Sep 2010
Mr. G. M. Riddleston "savage" (leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Booth And The Bad Angel (Audio CD)
Walking through the streets of Stratford and the sound from the car window is slightly of a gothic crazed pop scene i had forgotten but rekindled with a deft smile. The sound is comming from a car driven by a student and the sounds echo away with brilliant lyrics and tone. Overall from start to finish the ear must listen to the dulcet tones of a genius in Tim Booth. The dark edge is more intense than James but similar roll of verse to chorus in style.

The only stabbing shame to a delight of an album like this is that it appears as a one off masterpiece. Still being heard after nearly fifteen years is proof of its rounded and full bodied flavour, just another listen for the road!

3.0 out of 5 stars good album, 2 Jun 2012

Booth And The Bad Angel
Booth And The Bad Angel by Angelo Badalamenti (Audio CD - 1998)