5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Star revisited?!
Published on 29 Mar 2003 by P. GAMBLE

1.0 out of 5 stars A massively disappointing CD
If you've never reviewed a CD for Amazon then you should realise that you can't award less than 1 star. We bought this CD on the strength of 'St. Teresa' and 'One of us' but were massively disappointed.
On those two tracks Joan at least managed to stay in key but as the album progresses her country-style drawl and tuneless wailing becomes irritating as does the...
Published on 19 Sep 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Star revisited?!, 29 Mar 2003
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
I have to agree that the earlier review doesn't take into account the irony of some points in this incredible cd album!! Not a female vocalist fan myself, this one is so very very different, "Let's Just Get Naked" for me is a high spot of pure genius, where the off key "wailing" and heavy riffing make for a brave sojourn into territory most artists would be shy of....the album fits well with a rock fan or a vocal/folk fan's tastes, Pensacola is another beautiful song crafted finely. This album is unforgettable, and hairs on your neck are sure to prove it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this with Relish, 4 July 2005
John (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
Wow. I had only heard 'One of us' before and I didn't even know who the artist was, but I managed to track this album down through Amazon and decided to buy it on the strength of just one track. What a good decision!
This is just such good, solid, rich music and it's so refreshing to hear a female singer with a real voice these days. The album has the same sort of mix, and a similar feel perhaps, to 'Jagged Little Pill.' However, it's hard to categorise it, especially with so little to compare it to.
There isn't a duff track on this album. Treat yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant exploration of Joan's powerful, emotive voice., 27 Jan 2000
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
'Relish' is a wonderful collection of rock/blues/gospel inspired songwriting, almost every song displaying Joan's talented vocal abilities. Not only is her voice powerful and skillfully controlled, but it has a natural rasping quality that is really shown off on this record. There are a few less impressive tracks, such as 'Lumina' and 'Lets Just...' but others are outstanding, particularly 'St' Teresa' and the bar-sound bluesey rampage 'Dracula Moon'.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 STAR?!, 11 Jan 2003
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums and I can't believe not everyone appreciates it as I do.
Joan Osbourne ignores all conventions and norms and performs her music whatever way she sees fit. It's a fresh, different sound and Relish is the album I listen to when I need my spirits lifted. A great album to shout and sing along to.

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing has come close in the last 5 years, 9 Aug 2000
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
Okay, i must admit, i'm not a lover of the female vocal in music. In small doses it's okay but i find it a little boring after a while. There are a few exceptions, Macey Gray and Bjork perhaps spring to mind.
But!
What a fantastic find Joan Osborne is! I heard 'One of us' and bought the CD because of that. I'm glad to say its not the best track. I love this album, if you put it away for a while and then play it again you wonder why you ever stopped.
I can never understand why there's not been follow up. Although i hear there's one on the way.
I'd take no notice of it's official music genre classification of country rock with a little bit of religion thrown in. Just give it a listen and make up your own mind.
To me its just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM, 9 Nov 2007
Jill Allardyce "jill" (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
I used to own this album 8 years ago but I lost it. I just bought it again and I still love this album. There are so many kinds of music that I out grew after I left my 20's. But this album is so original and full of emotion and creativity. It still rocks and there is nothing like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars tough and bluesy, 10 May 2007
Martyn - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
just adding another review because i don't think comparisons with 'Jagged Little Pill' are terribly helpful. This has a far greater depth to the musicianship and vocals than some typical American rockstress. Songs like 'Help me' pay their respects to the finest deep blues traditions, and while each song is sung with true conviction, there is a knowing humour about the vocal delivery which Ms Morrisette etc simply don't have the maturity to try.

The PJ Harvey and early Grace Slick comparisons are much more helpful.

And by the way, cheesy though some people may think it, I think 'One of Us' is a thoughtful and brilliantly executed song.

So there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relish indeed, 2 May 2001
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
The first buyer review gives only one star. I would like to know what planet they came from. Joan Osborne's Relish is quite simply one of the best albums of the 20th century. Her vocal delivery is remarkable and as sweet as hash, as she'd put it. The music throughout is so earthy and bluesy and Eric Bazilian's guitar work is exceptional. Quite simply, you must own this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly Fabulous, 8 Nov 2001
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
I can't think of the best words to describe this CD. It takes top position in my CD collection. I am not a big fan of female singers but Joan Osborne is fantastic.
Her voice is so distinctive, and her "off key wailing" as some wish to put it, adds individual style and iagination to her songs.
My favourite song is Crazy Baby I love the lyrics to it.
Not only is Joan's voice fab so are the musicians, there is a great variety of instuments used through out the album too.
Don't judge this album by One Of Us.
A must buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 12 July 2014
S. Coad - See all my reviews
This review is from: Relish (Audio CD)
An absolute classic album. Great stuff.

Relish
Relish by Joan Osborne (Audio CD - 1999)