5.0 out of 5 stars Could the music get any better?
I've heard other CD's, live, studio recorded, whatever - but I can honestly say there are none better than this. With the amazingly flexible vocal chords of Mr Van Morrisson backed by the most amazing rhythm and blues band ever, you feel like you're actually there - and quite frankly i wish i was.
If there were one place I could go back to - It would be San Fran with...
Published on 29 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridgway is Disappointed
I love Van Morrison. I love San Francisco, having lived there for a year and a half. But, this live album was disappointing.
He is my favourite artist but oh! how his work varies. Maybe it will grow but after the first few listens, I will be returning to my favourite studio albums for my VM listening pleasure...
Published on 10 Mar 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Could the music get any better?, 29 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
If there were one place I could go back to - It would be San Fran with Van the man back in the days of never ending musical superiority.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs to go out..., 13 Dec 2002
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
...when live music is as effectively packaged as this.
Van has a committment to live performance that has been cemented over decades and this is its most convincing testament so far.
There is almost literally something for everyone on this very long double album. As well as visiting his live classics ( a collaboration of the inevitable 'Gloria' with Dream Academy)he also successfully experiments with classics such as 'Stormy Monday" and a wonderfully hybrid "It's a Man Man Man's World"
Never before have I heard such an easy alliance of blues, jazz and yep folk - the highlight for me is a powerful reinterpretation of 'The Garden'.
Van is ultimately a live performer and this album really does reflect his stature in this respect.
Unreservedly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The FInest, 15 Feb 2006
M. Jackson (Reading, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
I count this as the finest of the 400 or so albums I own. Brilliant versions of studio classics and blues standards get an airing here. Van is the band leader and steers his ship down a musical river of delights. The music flows and different songs merge into one organically. Every time I listen to this something new grabs me, a vocal, a bit of piano or guitar, there is so much to admire. One of my favourite bits is when Van gruffly takes over from Brian Kennedy at the end of Have I told you lately, but there are so many highlights. Whenever I play this for someone they are bowled over. Ignore any negative reviews from people who want to hear a CD played live note perfect and just buy this great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best live album ever recorded!, 9 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Van Morrison is a genius! Not only can he write good music, and sing and play, but the arrangements of his musical entourage on stage have to be seen to be believed. Having seen Van live more than a dozen times, (yet to be disappointed), it amazes me how he always gets it right!. This album encapsulates all that is great about his work - every time I listen I feel that I'm there. In particular - So Quiet In Here and In the Garden do send 'shivers down my spine'. May you play till you're 100, Van!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic live set, 22 Feb 2003
MT (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Having only ever listened to studio output, I thought it high time to get into some of Van's live stuff. At first I was disappointed, since I had primarily bought it for Have I Told You Lately and Tupelo Honey. On first listen it's disappointing. But play it again and you will experience the nuances. The people he sings with only back him up, there is absolutely no doubt that Van is in charge (except for perhaps the track that features John Lee Hooker).
Even if you buy this album for one track, let it be Moondance/My Funny Valentine. Quite possibly the best end to an album I have ever heard.
Van is superb live, and I highly recommend this, for it's rich mix of R&B, Blues and Jazz. Top stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The virtues of analogue?, 22 Jan 2008
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Firstly, this a great sounding live album. I checked the sleeve, and it is AAD. Given that all sound is analogue, that is the way it should be recorded initially, then converted to digital at a later stage. This album is testimony to that.

Not only does it sound good, but the band is great. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think that Van should allow more of his Musical Director (Georgie Fame) to be heard, and that Georgie's early albums should be re-released in the UK. They were re-released in Japan as limited editions, and are almost impossible to find.

Sorry about hijacking this review space, but I'm sure Georgie has a lot of frustrated fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever blues/sould cd..try it !, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
you have got to have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best live album ever?, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
I need to replace my original CD , as I had played it to death, since '93/94. this one was perfect for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars more live Morrison, 16 Nov 2013
Stanley Crowe (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Twenty years after "It's Too Late to Stop Now," here's another great live album featuring Van Morrison. Instead of the earlier concert's high-energy mix of blues and soul, here we have a blues-inflected jazz album in which Van is less at the center of things than was the case 20 years earlier. At times, in fact, he sounds more like an emcee, calling out and identifying for his audience members of the band for their solo work, including quite a bit of vocal work. The band is tight, with Georgie Fame on keyboards and the Dutch saxophonist Candy Dulfer prominently featured. Many of the items are "medleys," some of which blend Van's own songs with covers, and blues stalwarts John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Witherspoon, and Junior Wells do guest spots (as does Van's daughter on one track). The performances run an expressive gamut that is wider than on "It's too late . . ." and they are all very fine and in very good sound. My only quibble is that the version I bought does not have a booklet that goes into sufficient detail about who actually contributes what to each number. Van's voice I recognize, but otherwise I'm just guessing. The music is the thing, though, and this is just splendid.

4.0 out of 5 stars WISH I'D BEEN THERE!!!, 11 July 2013
Mr. K. Sperring "keith" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Night in San Francisco (Audio CD)
I could well do without any of Brian Kennedy's weedy vocals and Shana Morrison is only there because she's Van's daughter. I would have preferred to hear 'Beautiful Vision' sung by Van, not by Brian and Shana. However, all the other performing artists contribute to make this is a great live album. I like it even more now than when it first came out.

A Night in San Francisco
A Night in San Francisco by Van Morrison (Audio CD - 1997)