Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 October 2006
Many years ago I loaned this album from the local library and took it back 2 weeks later disappointed and I have been left with that impression ever since...until now. I only really purchased the album to complete my TFF collection thinking that having enjoyed listening to every other TFF album that I must have missed something with this one. I was right. Elemental does not instantly hit you as being a very good album it slowly creeps up on you as you become more familiar with each song. Give it time and you will love it as I do. Break it down again is the first song that stands out but there are many gems hidden in this album just waiting to be discovered.
on 24 November 2000
I first bought this album about 3 years ago and it still continues to be one of my favourites. I constantly keep playing it and frankly, the more I listen to it the better I like it. Just like the album's title, it's ELEMENTAL that you buy one. When you hear songs like 'Power'(probably the best song ever made), 'Elemental', 'Goodnight Song' and so on, believe me you'll get goosepumps. Since I was a teenager Tears for Fears have always been a music reference and although I love all their music, in my opinion, their best album still continues to be 'The Hurting'.
So Orzabal goes it alone with this 1993 CD: `Elemental' indeed! One watches out for any hint of lyrical spats against Smith (`Fish Out Of Water'?).

Orzabal made a further move in a rock-orientated direction with this release, and does so with great gusto whilst still maintaining a foot in the pop camp. The songs are well constructed with good hooks. The guitar work in places is brazenly in-your-face, and in other subtle; sometimes it is both.

There are two worthy five-star tracks, `Cold' and `Break It Down Again'. But there are four duff songs too. `Dog's a Best Friend's Dog' and `Fish Out Of Water', whilst not strictly duff, are not that special either. Meanwhile `Gas Giants' is mere B-side material. Orzabal's penchant for the sixties is expressed on this album by the Beach Boys pastiche `Brian Wilson Said'.

In the final track, `Goodnight Song', Orzabal sings, "The sounds we are making are so uninspired". This CD is not that bad, and I don't want to give a too-negative review - I do give the CD four stars overall - but it has to be said that in former times, Tears for Fears did better.
on 9 October 2010
Had this on cassette, no tape player though. Glad I bought it, the music and songs were ahead of their time
on 14 May 2010
Yes, it's really a solo album by Roland Orzabal, but you wouldn't know it. It's no great secret (if you've ever looked at the credits on the other TFF albums) that he's the writing force behind the band and this album fits seamlessly into the body of their other work because of that. If your a fan of the other albums The Hurting,Songs From The Big Chair,The Seeds Of Love,EVERYBODY LOVES A HAPPY ENDING you wont be disappointed (I am and I wasn't). Good melody, lyrics and slick production values are the TFF hallmarks and this doesn't wander from that successful path, but why would you want it to!! Buy it now, if you're a fan, and if you loathe TFF's other stuff go and buy something else.
on 12 November 2010
This album has some really knockout songs, although it did not sell well, the sound quality is top notch & although it would have been nice to have Curt sing & play a little it was not to be. Roland shows his stuff & some of the vocals & guitar work are the best he's ever done.

Sadly Curt's solo albums are a bit weak in comparison but still have a few gems on them but the recordings sound like demos & the musicians are not up to Tears standards.
on 6 October 2005
Despite having been a long time fan of TFF, for some reason i never bought this CD until recently. What a mistake !!! it is a brilliantly timeless CD with every track a masterpiece of song writing.I do not fully understand the politics behind Rolands and Curts relationship but whatever the mixture of contributions are to the album, it works for me.Curt Smith & Roland Orzabal's songs rank alongside with Lennon & Mcartney as far as i am concerned.Another excellent album.
on 3 May 2013
Very happy with product. Big fan of Tears for Fears, especially Roland so enjoy this CD very much, though quite different from tears for fears work
on 10 February 2013
I really like this CD, it is varied and different and is a good vehicle for Roland's voice, a lot different from the earlier Tears For Fears stuff.
on 20 December 2014
I find the more I listen this the more I like, it up there as one of their best. Become one of by favourite TTF albums.