5.0 out of 5 stars The best Motown tracks of Gladys & her Pips
Published on 25 July 2001 by Ann Van Huffel

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor tracks
My other half wanted the hits of Gladys Knight and l thought that this was it . . . it wasn't and he only found two tracks that he liked. It just cost me another CD to get the one he really liked . . never mind !!
Published 7 months ago by Mrs H Solomon

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Motown tracks of Gladys & her Pips, 25 July 2001
Ann Van Huffel "e-man10" (Antwerp, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
Not many people know that it wasn't Marvin Gaye who first recorded "Heard it through the Grapevine" but actually Gladys Knight. Her version is a lot more bluesier but no less impressive.At Motown she was always underrated but listening to this collection it's hard to understand why she never reached the stature of a Diana Ross or Smokey Robinson. Maybe she was just to raw and honest for the slick hit-producing machine that Motown was at the time. Gladys tears it up on "Grapevine", "Nitty Gritty" , "Just walk in my shoes" and many more but also caresses with some of the most heart-tearing deep soul ballads ever recorded. "If I were your woman", "Help me make it through the night" and "I don't want to do wrong" will have you in tears every time you hear them. In short, a brilliant collection of one of soul's biggest voices. Supplement with the "Greatest Hits" on Camden and you have an excellent carreer overview. Essential. Get it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first successful recordings, 27 Mar 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
Gladys Knight and the Pips made some records before they signed to Motown, but those records were not successful, so these are the earliest important recordings.
I heard it through the grapevine was their first major hit, going to number two in the American pop chart (and topping the R+B chart) and also giving them a minor British hit. Gladys recorded the song at around the same time as Marvin Gaye, but Motown originally selected the version by Gladys and the Pips for single release. Marvin’s version was released as a single a year later and topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic. The two versions are very different despite both being produced by Norman Whitfield. He obviously loved the song as he also produced versions by the Isley brothers and the Miracles.
There are many other classic songs here, including Take me in your arms and love me, It should have been me (revived by Yvonne Fair in the seventies), Every little bit hurts, If I were your woman, Help me make it through the night and Neither one of us.
Gladys Knight is best remembered for the recordings she made after she left Motown for Buddah, including Midnight train to Georgia, but her Motown music is well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a mist of ecstasy, that's blowing over me..., 1 Aug 2014
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
...here I am, take me in your arms and love me

That`s not just my favourite Gladys Knight song, it`s one of my all-time favourite Motown songs too. She sings it, like she sings everything, with passionate fervour and an intensity striplings like Diana Ross can only dream about.
This is a representative selection of the glorious tracks recorded by Gladys and her relatives the Pips in their Motown years in the late 60s/early 70s - after having made records for some years for other labels.
The compilation kicks off with their urgent version of Grapevine (recorded by the Miracles, Isleys and Gladys before Marvin Gaye immortalised it and had the big hit)
and never once lets up after that. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me is track four, and I sometimes think I could listen to a whole disc made up of that one song repeated twenty times. A classic.
Other memorable songs include the Temptations cover I Wish It Would Rain, a great song you`d have to be pretty inept to mess up. Gladys sings it beautifully. There`s also Nitty Gritty (which the Hollies of all people had earlier covered well on an LP a few years earlier) and It Should Have Been Me, her intense reading of the soul standard Every Little Bit Hurts (both Betty Everett and Steve Winwood had shone on this song) as well as Daddy Could Swear, I Declare, If I Were Your Woman, The End Of Our Road, and Friendship Train - all of them well worth anybody`s time.
I`d place Gladys Knight up there in the exalted company of Aretha and the very greatest singers in the genre we call soul. Later she and her Pips had some massive hits in a silkier, glossier style, and she still sang with all the passion and force at her considerable command, but these precious Motown tracks are (almost)where it started, and they sound as fresh, soulful and immediate now as they did over forty years ago.
A fine compilation of a great soul group.

Gladys could sing, I declare!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is indeed a fine collection., 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
In my view Gladys Knight was as a soul singer second only to the great Aretha Franklin. This is a collection of all of her best recordings with the Pips. Highly recommended if you are a fan of REAL R n B, and I'm not referring to the saccharine schmaltz that has unfortunately acquired that genre title in the last decade or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliiant!, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
Gladys Knight and the Pips.
I really enjoyed listening to the CD. It was in great condition and received on time. It was the first time I had heard Gladys sing.
My favorite song is,' Help me make it through the night'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gladys at her best!, 2 Nov 2013
Mrs. E. Shonfeld "egirl" (Thames Ditton GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
Love this cd and keep playing it. Reminds me of my youth! Plenty of songs on cd very good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gladys & the Pips - Motown Good, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
I have been wanting a compilation of GK & the Pips and prefer the Motown days to the later stuff.
Some classic tracks on here and in my opinion "If I were your Woman" on its own is worth the asking price of this collection.
Heard it through the Grapevine also a classic which never got the praise and reward given to the version by Marvin Gaye but respect to Gladys and the Pips whose version is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gladys Knight, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
What a superb collection of music. All the hits and more from this queen of Motown and soul. Go for it

5.0 out of 5 stars takes me back, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
this is a good start to liking this group I am trying to fill gaps in my collection and this did its job superbly

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips, 19 Jan 2012
Geoff Jackson (OLDBURY, W Midlands, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips (Audio CD)
it was bought for a present and receiver was very pleased with it. if you like motown you'll love this.

Ultimate Collection:  Gladys Knight & The Pips
Ultimate Collection: Gladys Knight & The Pips by Gladys Knight (Audio CD - 1998)