5.0 out of 5 stars Classics review
I have recently had to buy this CD. again from Amazon as my last one (not bought from Amazon) wore out, I bought the previous one in the 70's so it shows you what good quality it is to have lasted this long, good quality CD. and excellent listening material.
Published on 1 Aug 2010 by Classical Lady

Felix Mendelssohn, 1809-1847, German

"Ever since I began to compose, I have remained true to my starting principle: not to write a page because no matter what public, or what pretty girl wanted it to be thus or thus; but to write solely as I myself thought best, and as it gave me pleasure". (Felix Mendelssohn).

This Naxos CD is aimed at the beginner...
Published on 28 July 2007 by Mart

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the most skilled and artistically gifted composers of classical music., 28 July 2007
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Felix Mendelssohn, 1809-1847, German

This Naxos CD is aimed at the beginner or occasional classical music listener and aims to provide a cross section of the entire works of Mendelssohn on a single CD of around one hour duration. It's difficult of course to achieve a satisfactory representation of a composer's lifetime achievements in such short time, but this CD does achieve its aim in that it offers an affordable introduction to Mendelssohn which may enable the listener to either pursue these works further, or simply to collect the entire Naxos `Best Of' range.

If the intention is to collect the series it will provide a good, although slightly abbreviated, library of classical music. Those requiring further listening are helped by the sleeve notes which give recommended further listening (all Naxos label CD's of course!).

It should be noted that the Naxos 2CD `Very Best Of' releases offer slightly better value than the single CD versions in this `Best Of' series.

That said, this is a good introduction to classical music for those on a careful budget.

The complete Naxos `Best Of' series (those indicated* also have `Very Best Of' releases):

Bach*, Bartok, Beethoven*, Berlioz, Bizet, Brahms, Chopin*, Debussy*, Dvorak*, Elgar*, Faure, Gershwin, Glazunov, Grieg*, Handel*, Haydn, Liszt, Lutoslawski, Mendelsshon, Mozart*, Paganini, Prokofiev, Puccini*, Rachmaninov*, Ravel*, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini, Saint-Saens, Schubert, Schumann, Satie*, Shostakovich*, Sibelius*, Strauss (Johann) II*, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky*, Verdi*, Vivaldi*, Wagner, Weber.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics review, 1 Aug 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Few complaints...it just lacked any fireworks, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Best of Mendelssohn (Audio CD)
I decided to buy this product after borrowing my parents' Double CD which had a mixture of famous classical pieces and included several Mendelssohn works - all of which I took a liking to. I can think of few complaints about the product although there were few stand-out pieces of music. The pieces from a Midsummer Night's Dream were the only instantly recognisable works for a classical music novice such as myself. However, I recently purchased the Beethoven and Dvorak CDs from the same producers which I both adored and it is perhaps unfair to compare Mendelssohn to the might of Beethoven. The music is still enjoyable but will perhaps take a couple of listens to get into it fully. I am a fan of Mendelssohn's style but I would not rank this very highly on a list of must-buy classical CDs. Nevertheless, if you are looking for an introduction to Mendelssohn's best works then this is recommendable for you.

The Best of Mendelssohn
The Best of Mendelssohn by Felix Mendelssohn (Audio CD - 1997)