5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Good Fun
You'll either love or hate this - personally, I think it's the best 'Young Person's Guide' and one of the best 'Peter and the Wolf' recordings available. The Poulenc I don't know so I can only say I enjoyed it too.
More importantly, the children I have played it to have also enjoyed it - although the 'Australianisms' were strange to them (We adults can enjoy them!),...
Published on 8 Mar 2004 by A.K.Farrar

3.0 out of 5 stars A good way of passing a car journey - but to ...
A good way of passing a car journey - but to a car load of
Brits and Americans Dame Edna's narration was a little disconcerting...
Published 4 months ago by LDMoorcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely version, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf [Dame Edna Everage] [Naxos Children's Classics] (Audio CD)
My four year old son adores this cd. He first listened to it at his nursery as they were doing a play where they all signed along to the different animals, and now he can't get enough of it. He recognises all the different animals and instruments which I'm really impressed with as he's not musical in the slightest, yet. I also found the information at the end about all the different instruments etc very informative for myself! The Babar story is also great although we have to skip the section where his mother gets brutally shot!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
great service and product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might think, 8 Jun 2014
Dame Edna will not be to everyone's taste, especially her improvisations on the text. But the orchestration is lovely. The clarinet that describes the cat reminds me so much of the way our cat prances about the house, full of himself. I think kids would love this

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 5 May 2014
A. M. Fifield "titanne" (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my granddaughters, so they would start to learn about classical music. A tip: don't play the whole CD in one go, as it is too much for little ones (eldest granddaughter is 4 yrs old). But the 4 yr old loved it and danced around the room whenever the music played. I bought this in conjunction with the Peter and the Wolf story book. Well worth buying both together, as the text in the book is virtually the same as on the CD. And Dame Edna Everage does a really nice job in the narration!

5.0 out of 5 stars one is never too old, 17 Mar 2014
I first heard this recording at my son's home. I so enjoyed it. I think Dame Edna's interpretation is wonderful. I will enjoy listening to it on a very regular basis. The recording of the music is particularly good and the instruments sound is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 9 Feb 2014
I have to say I was lightly unsure when I saw that Dame Edna Everage was doing the narrating on this CD - but she's brilliant! My children love it and it's entertaining for the parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Oct 2013
This brings back fond memories of my childhood. I loved Peter and the Wolf and hearing it again made me realize how much.

4.0 out of 5 stars PETER AND THE WOLF, 20 Oct 2013
Bought for young children who didn,t appreciate it . Will keep for when they are older I liked it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the wolf, 2 Oct 2013
Despite Dame Edna doing her "possum" bit an excellent recording for children to learn from. Other items on CD a bonus.