5.0 out of 5 stars A restrained, authentic and enjoyable performance, 10 Feb 2010
This review is from: Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Audio CD)
Jando's interpretation seems very fine to me, as he weaves his way through Bach's vast structure with clarity and aplomb. It's a restrained performance, with no forced 'pianism' or any attempt to mimic a harpsichord. The controlled touch provides a beguiling ebb and flow of musical tension, but no exaggeration. The style has a feeling of unforced correctness.

Each movement is given its own character, without resorting to inappropriate romanticism. My favourite interpretations of Bach piano music are Perahia's performances of the keyboard concertos. He shows slightly more verve, excitement and character than Jando here, I feel. But then he has the ASMF in top form accompanying him, and the concertos are more straightforward show pieces. It's nice having both. Jando's 'straighter' performance provides an interesting contrast.

Perahia's scintillating performance made me question if I should look for another interpretation of "the 48". Jando is not mentioned in the Penguin guide, which hands out "keys" to five "big names". Looking for more discrimination, I visited Gramophone's on-line database, and found two glowing reviews of Jando's performance, placing him above several Penguin recommendations.

In summary, I'll be sticking with Jando as my key baseline for this work. It's refreshingly devoid of any mannerisms or eccentricities (I didn't notice the humming!) He has a feeling for period style, perhaps even more so than Perahia. His playing is firmly rhythmical, without stiffness or anachronistic rubatos. He uses intelligent tempos, and his ornaments sound right. I certainly enjoyed the performance and am left wanting to listen again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean and clear playing, 26 July 2012
Mr. Christopher Harris "Chris in Brum" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Audio CD)
This is a very good performance of these seminal works. Jando isn't as well known as some of his illustrious rivals but you won't go far wrong with these performances and they come at a bargain price. The recording is also excellent, the piano is there with you in the room on a good hifi.

PS I didn't buy this from Amazon - sorry guys.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, except for the humming, 27 May 2014
Adam (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this record, but Jandó has the habit of humming along with the music which is noticeable in some sections, especially No. 22 in B flat minor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Audio CD)
Lovely recording. It's great value. I bought as Naxos recordings are ok and better value that Deutsche G ones, for example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highy acceptable, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 (Audio CD)
Have this wonderful work work in various versions is very acceptable and enjoyable can recommend it. Bach is the tops of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Dec 2012
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As a general rule I listen to the other end of the spectrum - heavy metal - but now and again I rather like to sit back and relax to something classical in the way one might take a sorbet in between meals. Now the link between heavy metal and classical is well known often with musicians using classical compositions albeit somewhat louder and faster. So I tend to like a little bit of Bach in between.

I'm not by any stretch of the word an officianardo but I can say that this piece is well orchestrated and the transfer to digital media is excellent. Very clear and all the nuances that I like are there.

Overall an excellent production even for a part time lover of classical such as myself.

Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1
Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1 by Johann Sebastian Bach (Audio CD - 1997)