4.0 out of 5 stars Pay the extra and buy the Leinsdorf version!, 24 Sep 2006
This review is from: Korngold: Die Tote Stadt (Audio CD)
Not at all bad and fine at the price; no English text so if your German ain't up to much, you may be a bit puzzled by the plot. If you only want one version of this stupendous opera, buy the Leinsdorf version on RCA. However, if you already have the Leinsdorf, this is well worth having as a number 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning performance - been a favorite of mine since it came out!, 5 Jun 2007
Mr. DAVID Geer "Korngold Fan" (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Korngold: Die Tote Stadt (Audio CD)
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this before now (June 2007), this is an absolute favorite of mine and I play it often. The sound is ravishing (especially for Naxos) and the singing and orchestral playing is equally ravishing and exciting! Sunnegardh as Paul can sound a little strained perhaps but its a demanding role he brings off superbly well overall. Dalayman is everything you'd expect of her and the rest is strongly cast. Segerstam draws every last nuance from the RSO. Whilst its true the libretto is only in German that's hardly a problem with the excellent synopsis that is provided in a better than usual Naxos booklet. At any price this is a superb performance and highly recommended - Korngold wrote some of the most hauntingly lovely music and much of it is here in between the crescendoes that became familiar with his later film scores (Sea Hawk, Kings Row)! Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal cd of the year 2008, 3 Feb 2009
B. G. Pedersen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Korngold: Die Tote Stadt (Audio CD)
Not knowing anything about Korngold, I happened to buy this cd because the opera was recommended to me -- and the Naxos release seemed quite affordable. And it was conducted by Leif Segerstam. I thought I'd give it a try. By the end of the year, doing a bit of evaluating in my personal weblog, I named it my greatest cd experience of 2008. (Greatest cd experience of 2007, in case you're wondering, was the chilling Colin Davis version of Stravinsky's "Oedipus Rex".) Conducting is tight, performances are great, and the sound is crisp. It's bargain. Go buy it.

Korngold: Die Tote Stadt
Korngold: Die Tote Stadt by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Audio CD - 1997)