5.0 out of 5 stars A firm favourite
Published on 24 July 2006 by J. Hutchings

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, I suppose (he says grudgingly)
Published on 23 Oct 2004 by John Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A firm favourite, 24 July 2006
J. Hutchings "jjhutchings" (Framlingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
This edition is amongst my very favourite choral recordings. The simplicity of Fauré's original score (as opposed to the great orchestral rendering he was made to write by his publisher) shows typical Fauré at work - great harmonic language and melody through the simplest of means - compare this with his D minor Piano Trio Op.120. There is so much more to it than Classic FM would have you think!

The performances are excellent, as one would hope from this great choir from Oxford, and the acoustic of Hertford College Chapel suits perfectly. The supplementals of the Messe Basse, some organ works and also de Severac's now-popular Tantum ergo (no doubt aided by this fine recording) add to what is a very good recording at an astonishing price! A must for every fan of choral music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recording of Faure's Requiem, 19 Feb 2001
owen (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
One of the most intimate and articulate recordings of the Requiem that I've heard; it's a bargain at £4.99 and a "must have" if you haven't yet got any Faure.
If you already have a "traditional" recording of Faure's Requiem (i.e. scored for full orchestra and a large choir), buy this Schola Cantorum recording as well so that you hear the constrast in the arrangement that Denis Arnold has produced. It is based on the original instrumentation specified by the composer, and this makes a substantial difference to the listener's perception of the music. This performance is purer, far more intimate and personal, and yet it doesn't lose the drama and dynamic range of the "traditional" orchestral arrangement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite brilliant especially at this price, 30 Aug 2012
Mr. Christopher Harris "Chris in Brum" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
I feel that a few (but not all) reviewers are missing the point. To quote the sleeve-notes "This recording is an attempt to move Faure's liturgical music from the concert hall to the church." and "In particular the reconstruction of nineteenth-century French ecclesiastical pronunciation and the restoration of Faure's preferred phrasing are just two of the most useful elements in the search for the composer's intentions." I remember when I first came to this version after many years of knowing the more commonly heard version and it was as if someone had drawn back a veil and I could hear it properly for the first time.

If you want a more conventional version then the old Kings/Willcox is very fine (and the pronunciation is very "Anglican").

As for this version it is very beautifully sung. Lisa Beckley is lovely in the Pie Jesu. It's a bargain!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, I suppose (he says grudgingly), 23 Oct 2004
John Williams (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
I wanted a CD of Faure's Requiem as I was singing it in the local choir and my old taped recording was getting a bit worn, so I got this one. Well, it was the cheapest on offer, and the reviews were quite favourable. Alas I didn't find it as good as some of the other reviewers did. There's no doubt that Faure's Requiem is a five star piece, but the preformance and the recording didn't do it justice. It's bit mushy on both counts. All right, it's a very gentle, lyrical piece, but surely it could do with a bit more bite than this. The tempi were rather samey, and some of the Latin pronunciation was a bit quirky. This is a great piece, and if you're only going to get one recording of it, then treat yourself to someting better. Having said that, the CD was cheap and served it's purpose for me, so I can't complain. The other items I hadn't heard before - except for the Cantique de Jean Racine. They are pleasant enough, and match the mood of the Requiem, but are very much supporting items, the Requiem having star billing.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Work, 30 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
Gabriel Faure has produced some of the best choral music this world has ever seen and undoubtably his Requiem stands with but a few other true classics. Many of the pieces on this complation stir emotions either to rousing excitement, as in the middle section of the Sanctus, or to deep relaxation as in the Libera Me and In Paradisum, the latter of which is probably the most famous piece on the collection.
The disc is cheap, in fact ridiculously so - excellent value for money. Also the recording is excellent and aswell as the Requiem itself there are a number of other stand alone works which are almost as good. In particular, Cantique de Jean Racine captures the spirit of his earlier work. Having said that, tracks eight and nine; Andantino and Tantum Ergo are the two least well known of the tracks on the CD and rightfully so. Nevertheless the price is well worth the Requiem as a stand alone work.
I can especially advocate the purchase of this CD to the new choral music listener or even a fan of the 'ambient' genre of music. All in all a magnificent CD. Well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning !, 14 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
As the owner of many recordings of this particular work, and as a fan of slow, meaningful and fluid performances, this particular CD has remained a great favourate. My only preference would have been for a Soprano Treble performance of the Pei Jesu, but let not my criticism here detract from Lisa Beckley's admirable performance. I have personally yet to find a better performance of the Offertoire, which in the case of this particular CD i can only describe as sublime.
I have found this CD a perfect counterbalance to some of the more rigid but perhaps more technically correct CD performances of this work. I have in the past and will continue to recommend this work as a good first buy and regard this purchase as excellent value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faure Requiem, 26 Dec 2010
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
Many reviewers have commented that the recording's bargain price is one of its main selling points. I think that this is not such a unique selling point nowadays as many vintage recordings have been reissued at the same price. I am leaving price entirely out of the equation in making this review.

This particular CD has a number of unique features. The singers sing with a 'French-Latin' pronunciation which took me aback at first hearing but which on repeated listens seems perfectly natural. The instrumentation is pared down to solo violin (only played in two movements), viola 1 and viola 2, cello 1 and cello 2 (with only two players per part), and organ - which gives the sound considerably less weight than usual. The couplings are unusual - especially the Tantum Ergo by de Severac, a composer completely new to me.

This is a recording of an 'authentic' Faure Requiem - much more in keeping with liturgical use than full orchestral concert use. If a big concert version of this work is what you want, look elsewhere. I do confess that there were moments where I missed the orchestral horns and harps, especially in the Agnus Dei.

The choir on this recording is the Schola Cantorum of Oxford, a 30 voice chamber choir. They sing with a wonderful blended sound which is also very incisive when required (listen to the Libera Me movement). They also brought a yearning expressiveness to the Kyrie. I really can't imagine it being sung better.

The soloists are both very good. Perhaps I have been spoilt by hearing Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau in the baritone solos but I think that Nicholas Gedge does a fine job. I confess that Pie Jesu is not my favourite bit of the Requiem but the soprano soloist on this recording, Lisa Beckley, sings this solo really affectingly. She has excellent breath control and really handles the musical climaxes better than most singers I have heard in this piece.

The other music on this CD is also worth having. The Messe Basse is a piece I was previously unfamiliar with. From my knowledge of Faure's other music (especially his solo songs), this is more typical of Faure's compositional style than the Requiem. It receives a lovely performance from the sopranos of the Schola Cantorum of Oxford.

Finally, the Cantique de Jean Racine gets a lovely soaring performance to round off the CD .

4.0 out of 5 stars Jeremy Summerly is a safe pair of hands, 15 May 2003
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
This is the fifth recording of Jeremy Summerly and the Oxford Camerata that I have bought, and I have been delighted with them all. I bought this to replace a tinny child-like recording on IMP, this is much more rounded, not overly full, but the voices are mature and professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb!, 3 July 2014
superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recording, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fauré: Requiem (Audio CD)
Just what we were looking for. My Mum loved both the Faure Requiem and the Cantique de Jean Racine, but only had a 33LP so to find this recording with both on was very special.

Fauré: Requiem
Fauré: Requiem by Nicholas Gedge (Audio CD - 1993)