Format: Audio CD|Change

Yes it may have been released in 1996 but this album remains one of my very favourites in a collection of well over 700. I do have a liking for female R&B and while some will say it sounds 'so nineties' I personally think that's a compliment, because that was a great decade for the genre. Of course I truly adore the mega-hit Un-break my Heart, I could listen to it a thousand times (probably have) and never grow tired of it; in fact if I want to show off my hi-fi system at its best, that is often my first-choice song to do it. What breaks my own heart is to hear of the stresses and breakdowns that Toni Braxton has had over the years, I think she has been bankrupt at least once; just 2 years after SECRETS came out, she filed for Chapter 7 protection from a reported $3.9 million debt. All of her personal household possessions were tagged and marked for sale to pay off her creditors, including her five Grammy awards. Unbelievable.

This despite Un-break my Heart being the second biggest single by a female artist ever. And there's so much more to SECRETS than just that one song! It gets off to a great start with 'Come On Over Here' and reaches other peaks with 'Talking In His Sleep', in fact there are a number of songs that portray a feeling of tragedy in her life which I kind of assume was NOT the situation when they were performed, so there's a spooky kind of foresight to the mood of the album, a sadness which I guess wasn't fully realised until years later, and for this reason, for me, it makes for a more emotive listening experience. I still think that she's under-rated, or at least unfairly treated, something went wrong somewhere in her career and SECRETS is an emotional foresight into what was to come later. And once again, this is a superbly well produced album, the quality is right up there with the best. Passionately recommended!
on 11 August 2005
Toni Braxton is my one commitment to RnB and this album is the definite highlight of her work - a combination of beats that stand the test of time and Toni's sesual voice. From hits like 'You're makin me high' to less well-known tracks such as 'Talkin in his sleep', there honestly is not a bad track on this album. Most of the songs are pretty chilled, great to relax to. If you invest in one Toni Braxton album it should be this one.
on 26 October 2000
Whether you want to dance or relax Toni's got it on this album. Although most are ballads, you'll find 3 remixes of her songs at the end of the album. Very up-beat and funky. Toni Braxton, queen of the sad love songs shines on this album. Her voice is unique and it makes the hairs prick up on the back of your neck. The classics: Un-break my heart and I don't want to are the reasons I purchased this album although I was nicely surprised to find other numbers with as much soul and depth.
Great to sing along to. When you're in the mood for love.
on 9 February 2010
I bought this after hearing one of her songs on the radio and I wasn't disappointed although I found it a bit (well actually very) emotional but that hasn't stopped me listening to it many times.
on 14 May 2012
What can I say,that hasn't already been said,about this superb cd,and it really is her best to date.I think Toni is so very under rated,and under appreciated,it is unbelievable.I think she is better than Mariah,as good if not better than Whitney,and some people just can't see it,she works very hard,and has had many problems in her life,not to mention her heart condition,which has her hospitalised,every so often,but she just keeps going.I have to laugh
to myself,when people who have bought one or two of her CDs ,and then complain,that she sounds the same,on most tracks,well she will,because that is her,and her style of singing,and the ballads she does,are just stunning,so if people don't like that sort of thing from her,then,all I can say is,you are most definitely,not a Toni Braxton fan,because if you were,you would love almost every song she sings,as her voice is so beautiful,and unique,put it this way,she could sing the news at 10,and the weather,for me,and she would still be incredible,she will be around for a very long time yet,and now we have her new album to look forward to,due out this month,if it's on time,I already love her new single from it,called,I heart you,it really makes you want to just get up and dance,it is brilliant!,and like I said,so is this album.
on 4 January 2001
This album marks the zenith in seductive and soulful music. It forms the perfect triumvirate with a chilled glass of Chardonnay and the flickering candlelight reflected in your lover's eyes.Braxton's voice, though powerful, never fractures the serene atmosphere and instead adds an elegant backing track to the romantic sentiments that float across the dining table like fallen leaves caught on the autumn breeze. As the last track fades, blow out the candles and take your lover tenderly by the hand....
on 1 May 2005
This of course, is Toni Braxton's best selling and best loved solo LP. The album represents what LaFace Records was all about in the 1990's music scene - Soulful R'n'B produced by well known talent. "Secrets" (And I have to say it's one of the few from LaFace's back catalogue that this applies to) is a master class in how to get Mainstream R'n'B right! As many have pointed out, the majority of this album is ballads - but don't be put off. I am usually bored to tears by R'n'B Ballads but this album has some of the finest lyrics, vocal arrangement and vocal talent (courtesy of Ms. Braxton of course) that I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. There are so many high points here - and very few low points. The album is sexy, sultry and it just pushes all the right buttons - Braxton hit a career high with this and so did her label. If you like R'n'B and this isn't in your collection than you're missing part of this music genre's history! The album is as outstanding today as it was the day it came out - timeless.
on 11 May 2008
The album `Secrets' was Toni Braxton's sophomore release after her self-titled debut, and i can say with confidence that there's not a bad song on here, obviously i liked the mega hit `Un-Break My Heart', a phenomenal success which stayed at #1 on the Billboard hot 100 chart for a staggering 11 weeks, written by one of my favourite songwriters Dianne Warren (who has also written for the likes of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey) it's a deep slow tempo love ballad about losing someone & then expressing the pain of the loss, Toni's vocal abilities really shine on this song, `Let It Flow' the song that was used for the `Waiting To Exhale' soundtrack, a chilled out affair with Toni's signature deep soulful vocals, `You're Making Me High' as upbeat as it gets, (along with the intro track 'Come On Over Here') a smooth sexy song with a jammin' beat, so glad it was made into a single, `In The Late Of Night' well this 'should' have been a single, it's an excellent slow tempo ballad, again going on the theme of losing a lover, that song was defiantly overlooked, the mid-tempo jam `I Love Me Some Him' again a very smooth chilled out affair, there's a few of them on this album, for instance `I Don't Want To',`There's No Me Without You',`Find Me A Man' and `Why Should I Care', then there's `Talking In His Sleep' teaching all men to beware of cheating on there lovers, and finally `How Could An Angel Break My Heart', a slow tempo song, this was made into a single, in my opinion its ok, but i believe there's better single material on here.

But Overall it's incredible, defiantly one of Toni's best by a long way, everyone out there that has a passion for REAL R&B should own this album.
on 23 April 2013
I brought the CD to play in my Car and I love it. My children who are 14 and 15 play and sing tracks from the CD. The lyrics are song with such emotion. Tony Braxton is an Excellent Singer. CD worth every penny. 5*Secrets [Remix Package]
I owned this on cd in the 1990's but age and technology meant it did not work anymore so I threw away a few years ago. Thought it was time to re-visit my youth and bought the MP3 version, Still stands up today even alongside modern songs.