Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 July 2004
How could I have possibly missed this cd? I thought that I was quite an afficionado of soul music, but I have been humbled. I have been brought to my knees. The pulse of soul music is in Dave Godin's fingers. This collection of songs is the reason that I've continued to return to soul music throughout the years. And after listening to this collection, I will never stray far again. I've been purchasing Northern Soul collections for the obscurities, but this cd is in a class of its own.
on 27 September 2001
This is a damn fine selection of lesser-known soul sides. Picking out a few from the 25 choice cuts is nigh-on impossible. If you are into your soul in a big way then Dave Godin's collections (this is volume 1 from 3 to date) are indeed soulfully and meticulously compiled. So much so that the detailed sleeve notes highlight how he insisted on the purer soul mono version of Irma Thomas' 'Anyone Who Knows What Love Is' rather than the lighter re-cut (for a direct comparism buy 'Time Is On My Side', the also-excellent 24 track Irma Thomas CD) claiming there is no "just" in soul music; well not in the context of this track. That does not mean to say that 'I'd Rather Go Blind' by Etta James (featured on Vol 3)can be knocked for the same reason of course!
Another strength of this collection is you are going to struggle to locate vast chunks of the contents anywhere else. It should also serve to tempt you to explore certain artists that particularly grab your attention still further. My guess is that this CD plus the following Volume 2 & 3 offer-up new gems every time you slide this belting disc into your CD tray and press play. I bought all three volumes together and have had absolutely countless new ways of exposing the individual gems (try making a compilation tape or CD featuring just the female artists featured here, for example). Enjoy!
on 19 June 2003
This is an album that is redolent of both the English desire to have a hobby and to collect and of the Americna ability to produce soul music of unrivalled intensity. I bought this after near hysterical reviews in the music press, and was, initially a little disappointed that it wasn't the high octane Stax-like soul that I really like. However, I listened again, with the extensive liner notes in my lap, and was transported back intime to an era when soul music meant something. The range of talent is incredible, and every single track boasts quality. Particular faves; Have a Little Mercy, by Jean Wells; which is so powerfully delivered its scary, yet tender, and Raw Spitt Songs to Sing.
on 27 February 2003
You see a guy in his late fifties with a beard, he's wearing a polo neck and a tweed sport's jacket - you mistake him for your old geography teacher or a trendy priest you once saw preach about digging Jesus. Come on, you see a geezer like that and you dismiss the poor sod, wonder what time his mother wants him home. But, but, but - that man might well be Dave Godin, the Deep Soul prophet, who has compiled three albums of soulful bliss. For an anorak, Mr Godin is the most righteous of the breed, gathering together the deepest, effective soul recorded. Stretching from the dawn of the sub-genre (Deep Soul is rich with emotion, tragedy and elation combine, voices roar and soar - it's closer to its gospel roots than... well, shallow soul) to the revisitations in the earliest nineteen eighties, not that it's easy to discern early from late. This is music like walking in the rain, it drenches and refreshes you. You'll recognise only a few of the artists, the rest are buried in the vaults - Godin is an archaeologist, unearthing the telling bones of some powerful singers and tunes. So, please, for your own sake's, take this grey bearded geek by the hand and walk with him, let the rain fall, get wet, love him, he's worth it - he has gifted you these Deep Soul Treasures - and that's some giving.
on 4 January 2008
I've been listening to this cd for a few days now, It wasn't what I was expecting (I'm a big fan of "The Birth of Soul" series) this cd is full of heart wrenching deep soul ballads about life, love, and lost. the cd takes a few listens because it's not full of hit's (look elsewhere fore that) but belive me the music will burn it's self "deep" into your soul. intense and essential.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 February 2015
This (along with vol 2) is one of the most wonderful soul compilations you could ever dream of hearing.
Over four volumes, the late and in his own way great Dave Godin assembled together some of the most emotionally unforgettable tracks from the classic soul years, often by singers new to many people, with copious, characteristically effusive booklet notes, in superbly packaged discs with about 75 minutes of stunning music on each one. This was a labour of love and a service to humanity. I'm not exaggerating!
Highlights for me on this first one are Jimmy Holiday's glorious The Turning Point, on which his low baritone drains the lovelorn emotion from a great self-penned song like few songs I've ever heard; the opener I'm Never Gonna Live It Down by the excellent Knight Brothers (who were new to me); Irma Thomas's great performance of Anyone Who Knows What Love Is; I'm Not the One by semi-legendary Larry Banks; Jean Stanback's I Still Love You; I'm Goin' For Myself by Eddie & Ernie (as fine a duo as Sam & Dave, if less steamy); and the closing track You Got Me by Jaibi, a singer totally new to me, but an astonishing track which Godin declares is his all-time favourite, and you can hear why.
The cumulative effect of this whole banquet of 'deep soul' - a phrase that will hardly need explaining once you've listened to the CD - is one of emotional exhaustion and musical integrity.
I really can't recommend these compilations too highly. Stirring, startling, and endlessly soulful.

Essential.
on 12 February 2001
You may have thought you've heard music that makes your heart beat out your chest, but this album gives you the chance to reconsider baby!
if you have any love of soul, you cannot go wrong buying this. My bet is you'll end up recording it or selections from it for everyone you know from the day you buy it til the day you die - and your friends will always thank you for it. I bought this volume and vols 2 and 3 at the same time. I feel like the music in my world has quadrupled. And so has my heart....boom boom boom, eaeaaaaarghhhhhhh!
on 23 May 2000
The crying shame here is that there are 21000 titles selling faster than this beuatifully selected collection of soul classics you've never heard, every one's a killer and you owe it to yourself to make this and the second volume immediate purchases. Dave Godin was there right at the beginning of the Soul Movement in this country, he even coined the term "Northern Soul", (but do not confuse this with the uptempo stompers of that genre or the perfect pop of Motown. These songs are emotionally ragged masterpieces of heartbreak and deciet) and this is like a compilation tape cherry picking the absolute cream of his record collection. Lord Have Mercy.
on 17 April 2009
I was introduced to this collection via a friend who knew of my love for Northern Soul. This is not Northern Soul but simply music so powerful it will lift your soul and your life. I have lived with this album for over 10 years and will never tire of it. Dave Godin (RIP) is in heaven right now for the joy, beauty and power he has shared with us all. Please forgive the hyperbole but this is the greatest album ever! I feel like John Peel after listening to Teenage Kicks and award this 10 stars!
on 29 April 2001
Although I would be lying if I claimed that many of the 25 recordings on this compilation grabbed my undivided attention immediately, I must wholeheartedly recommend this record to anybody who has even the remotest interest in black popular music of the sixties. It is at times an intense listen - I probably couldn't manage to sit through it all in one go - particularly as the majority of the tracks are similarly paced, slow-burning numbers. However it is expertly compiled by our Dave, and contains some of (indeed, lots of) the greatest sides you will ever hear, most of which you are unlikely to hear anywhere else. Much of this music is incredible, and you will probably feel stronger inside because of it! Go buy.